    it ... so I'd rather just ask if such a third-party firewall exists rather
    than re-install XP with the internal one.

    Thanks!
    Marco, Oct 13, 2005

  2. Marco

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 20:05:39 GMT, Marco wrote:

    >Could anybody recommend a software firewall compatible with Windows XP SP2

    Recommend no, you did try Google there appear to be a few.

    >that's incredibly lightweight (low memory requirements), and that simply
    >lets me choose a few ports to block by their number? No need for a firewall

    The software that is supplied in a hardware firewall.

    >that monitors my software and opens those ports as necessary. I just want
    >to *completely* turn off access to a few ports (like 135, 445, etc.).

    OTOH, isn't this feature built into 2000 and above up to the job?

    Network Connections
    Local Area Connection / Properties
    TCP/IP / Properties
    TCP/IP filtering

    Although it's grim to setup it's only Permit All or Permit Only, there
    isn't a Deny Only. You would have to Permit Only and add what you
    needed.

    You could always learn how to write a NT class service to do what you
    want?

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Oct 13, 2005

  3. Marco

    Mike Easter Guest

    Marco wrote:
    > Could anybody recommend a software firewall compatible with Windows
    > XP SP2 that's incredibly lightweight (low memory requirements), and
    > that simply lets me choose a few ports to block by their number? No
    > need for a firewall that monitors my software and opens those ports
    > as necessary. I just want to *completely* turn off access to a few
    > ports (like 135, 445, etc.).
    >
    > FYI: I would just use the XP firewall, but I used XP lite to install
    > without it ... so I'd rather just ask if such a third-party firewall
    > exists rather than re-install XP with the internal one.

    Have you been somewhere like grc's shieldsup to see what ports are
    visible?

    https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 13, 2005
  4. Marco bashed at the keyboard and came up with:

    > Could anybody recommend a software firewall compatible with Windows XP SP2
    > that's incredibly lightweight (low memory requirements), and that simply
    > lets me choose a few ports to block by their number? No need for a
    > firewall
    > that monitors my software and opens those ports as necessary. I just want
    > to *completely* turn off access to a few ports (like 135, 445, etc.).
    >
    > FYI: I would just use the XP firewall, but I used XP lite to install
    > without it ... so I'd rather just ask if such a third-party firewall
    > exists rather than re-install XP with the internal one.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Google? No not as a firewall.

    Agnitum Outpost? ZoneAlarm? Kerio?

    http://www.firewallguide.com/software.htm
    Michael Thompson, Oct 13, 2005
  5. Marco

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 20:05:39 GMT, Marco wrote:

    >Could anybody recommend a software firewall compatible with Windows XP SP2
    >that's incredibly lightweight (low memory requirements), and that simply
    >lets me choose a few ports to block by their number? No need for a firewall
    >that monitors my software and opens those ports as necessary. I just want
    >to *completely* turn off access to a few ports (like 135, 445, etc.).

    As mentioned before a bit of Google.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/network/fwnetwork.html

    <snip>

    Me