Software to document software Applications

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by me here, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. me here

    me here Guest

    I have developed a number of applications and now must document them for
    my clients. Yup, documentation always gets left off.

    Most are developed in MS Access, some in PHP on MySQL, some in Open Office.

    I need something that I can enter in Data Structures, Processes,
    reports, etc. Something like the baby cousin of Software Architect. I am
    familiar with UML and will use Use Case diagrams, etc whenever
    necessary. I need the documentation to be exportable in some format for
    my client to have, PDF, html, Open Office that they can read without
    buying software also. I would prefer not MS Word as I am absolutely sick
    of creating complex documents in Word and having to play with images,
    etc to make them stick.

    Anyone know of a good program out there. I am willing to pay but as
    always free is better.

    Gavin

    me here, Jan 7, 2004

  2. me here wrote:
    > I have developed a number of applications and now must document them
    > for my clients. Yup, documentation always gets left off.
    >
    > Most are developed in MS Access, some in PHP on MySQL, some in Open
    > Office.
    >
    > I need something that I can enter in Data Structures, Processes,
    > reports, etc. Something like the baby cousin of Software Architect. I
    > am familiar with UML and will use Use Case diagrams, etc whenever
    > necessary. I need the documentation to be exportable in some format
    > for
    > my client to have, PDF, html, Open Office that they can read without
    > buying software also. I would prefer not MS Word as I am absolutely
    > sick of creating complex documents in Word and having to play with
    > images,
    > etc to make them stick.
    >
    > Anyone know of a good program out there. I am willing to pay but as
    > always free is better.
    >
    > Gavin

    what about LaTeX?

    Russell Smithies, Jan 7, 2004

  3. "Russell Smithies" <> wrote in

    > me here wrote:
    >> I have developed a number of applications and now must document them
    >> for my clients. Yup, documentation always gets left off.
    >>
    >> Most are developed in MS Access, some in PHP on MySQL, some in Open
    >> Office.
    >>
    >> I need something that I can enter in Data Structures, Processes,
    >> reports, etc. Something like the baby cousin of Software Architect. I
    >> am familiar with UML and will use Use Case diagrams, etc whenever
    >> necessary. I need the documentation to be exportable in some format
    >> for
    >> my client to have, PDF, html, Open Office that they can read without
    >> buying software also. I would prefer not MS Word as I am absolutely
    >> sick of creating complex documents in Word and having to play with
    >> images,
    >> etc to make them stick.
    >>
    >> Anyone know of a good program out there. I am willing to pay but as
    >> always free is better.
    >>
    >> Gavin

    > what about LaTeX?

    Where do you get that from ????

    TIA.

    RH

    Richard Holmes, Jan 7, 2004
  4. me here

    Peter Guest

    I have written an app that makes helps files by taking screen shots then
    creating a HTML page from them.

    --

    EMAIL to me please put 123 somewhere in subject to get through my Spam
    Filter Setting...

    Cheers

    Peter

    Teach others what you know about Windows Programs in Seconds with
    http://www.etchpad.com/

    Peter, Jan 7, 2004
  5. me here

    The Hobbit Guest

    "Richard Holmes" <richardh(at)ix(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote in message
    > "Russell Smithies" <> wrote in
    >
    > > me here wrote:
    > >> I have developed a number of applications and now must document them
    > >> for my clients. Yup, documentation always gets left off.

    <Snip>
    > >> Anyone know of a good program out there. I am willing to pay but as
    > >> always free is better.

    > > what about LaTeX?

    > Where do you get that from ????

    Google.

    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=LaTeX&btnG=Google Search&meta=

    The Hobbit, Jan 8, 2004
  6. me here

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:55:18 +1300, me here wrote:

    > I need the documentation to be exportable in some format for
    > my client to have, PDF, html, Open Office that they can read without
    > buying software also.

    Points here people. Someone who wants to give the documentation in
    something which can be read by all, no matter what OS they choose.

    Gordon, Jan 8, 2004
  7. me here

    me here Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:55:18 +1300, me here wrote:
    >

    >> I need the documentation to be exportable in some format for
    >>my client to have, PDF, html, Open Office that they can read without
    >>buying software also.

    > Points here people. Someone who wants to give the documentation in
    > something which can be read by all, no matter what OS they choose.

    Correct, I am after some form of Software Architecture application.
    Something I can put a Use Case into, have multiple business and
    application processes. Add text where necessary. It is about the process
    of building the documentation.

    I have thought about using some form of UML application (can you do UML
    in Open Office? Any addons available) and then dropping output
    (screenshots) into a WIKI but I want to be able to give the end result
    to a client, ie export the area of the WIKI related to this application
    to an output, Static HTML would be good then I could deliver on a CD,
    ZIP file to my client as I dont want to be in the position of hosting
    the only copy of the documentation.

    I dont need one application to do the whole thing. I am happy to create
    UML, screenshots, process diagrams in another application but just
    wonder what others on a budget might use. It is not all about laying out
    a document either.

    Gavin

    me here, Jan 8, 2004
  8. me here

    Peter S Guest

    "me here" <> wrote in message
    > I have developed a number of applications and now must document them for
    > my clients. Yup, documentation always gets left off.
    >
    > Most are developed in MS Access, some in PHP on MySQL, some in Open

    Office.

    > I need something that I can enter in Data Structures, Processes,
    > reports, etc. Something like the baby cousin of Software Architect. I am
    > familiar with UML and will use Use Case diagrams, etc whenever
    > necessary. I need the documentation to be exportable in some format for
    > my client to have, PDF, html, Open Office that they can read without
    > buying software also. I would prefer not MS Word as I am absolutely sick
    > of creating complex documents in Word and having to play with images,
    > etc to make them stick.
    >
    > Anyone know of a good program out there. I am willing to pay but as
    > always free is better.
    >
    > Gavin

    It is usually a tedious and long process to input all the data into a tool
    and then have it spit out documentation (especially if you can't bill the
    client for it).

    There are specific tools about that parse the source and produce
    documentation. There will be one somewhere for Access anyway.

    One I remember that was very useful for an Oracle Forms application (for
    example) was FoReDoclet (Google it) just to show what is possible.

    Pete.

    Peter S, Jan 8, 2004
  9. Checkout EventStudio. It generates use case diagrams in PDF.
    It also provides a flexible mechanism for generating use cases
    for multiple scenarios, without repeating the common parts.

    http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio

    Sandeep

    EventHelix.com, Jan 8, 2004
  10. Suddenly, me here sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > Anyone know of a good program out there. I am willing to pay but as
    > always free is better.

    In my experience, you can choose from

    a) a variety of crappy, restrictive, free or cheap programs (say,
    Visio+addons)

    or
    b) a few moderately useful, very expensive programs (Rational Rose)

    Unfortunately, because documentation is such an unpopular pasttime, no-
    one wants to right tools for it either.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Jan 8, 2004
  11. me here

    Bryce Guest

    "Aaron Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    > Suddenly, me here sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > > Anyone know of a good program out there. I am willing to pay but as
    > > always free is better.

    > In my experience, you can choose from
    >
    > a) a variety of crappy, restrictive, free or cheap programs (say,
    > Visio+addons)
    >
    > or
    > b) a few moderately useful, very expensive programs (Rational Rose)
    >
    > Unfortunately, because documentation is such an unpopular pasttime, no-
    > one wants to right tools for it either.
    >

    > --
    > aaronl at consultant dot com
    > For every expert, there is an equal and
    > opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

    The latest versions of Visio are quite powerful now (including all UML tools
    and exc. diagram manipulation tools...)- and include facilities to link into
    db's and automatically produce schemas etc. Plus you can download free
    viewers from the Internet, and being an MS product possibly greater support
    to link into other MS apps...
    If you're not a student its quite expensice though - $450 for standard or
    >$1000 Professional. Probably the cheaper option after Rose...

    Bryce.

    Bryce, Jan 8, 2004