Software to create photo albums AND web version?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Craig Johnson, Dec 26, 2006.

  1. I'm trying to find the ideal software that can work with my images
    (usually TIFF, sometimes JPG), and make a photo album, and then be
    able to create a web version of that album. It needs to work on
    Windows XP.

    The program I've got closest with so far is Thumbs Plus. However, it
    has the following issues:

    1. All my files have to start in the same directory. As I often
    organize my pictures into different directories (by date, and/or
    subject matter, inside a folder for a vacation trip), I have to
    completely redo my filing structure to make things work with Thumbs
    Plus. Alternatively, I have to make separate web versions and
    manually link together index pages.

    2. Thumbs Plus does not have hardly anything in the way of
    'scrapbooking features'. Some things I really want are:
    a. easy way to caption a picture, on any side of the picture I want.
    b. easy way to change size and orientation of picture, such as making
    one shot much larger on a page and having following shots in the album
    'flow' across pages as I edit.

    Problems I've run into:
    a. programs that won't read TIFF files.
    b. programs that won't do as described above (work with multiple
    subdirectories, add captions, or easily float pictures across pages as
    I edit the preceding pages.

    I've got Photoshop CS2, and I realize I could manually assemble
    pictures into an album with it, but that's just way too slow for me.
    I like how Thumbs Plus grabs a bunch of images and makes them into a
    series of pages with the number of rows and columns I specify - I just
    want to be able to easily modify from that starting point.

    Once done with a digital photo album, I'd like to easily convert it
    into a web site, either with the same program, or another one designed
    to work from the output of the first.

    Craig Johnson, Dec 26, 2006