    software besides Panotools, which is NOT easy to use, to accomplish the
    DeFish task on a PC?
    -Peter
    Peter Sale, Nov 15, 2003

  2. "Peter Sale" <> wrote in message
    news:bngtb.1229$...
    > There is a fellow, http://www.rcfisher.com/malltest.html, who captures
    > images via Fuji S2 Pro with an 8mm Sigma fisheye lens, and a Mac program
    > called "DeFish" to convert these images from fisheye to equirectangular.

    > would like to do the same sort of thing via my brother's D100, an 8mm

    Sigma
    > fisheye, and some "easy to use" PC software. Can anyone recommend some

    PC
    > software besides Panotools, which is NOT easy to use, to accomplish the
    > DeFish task on a PC?

    Picture Window Pro will do that. Load file, fire up the lens distortion
    transformation, adjust two sliders (degree of defishing and magnification)
    to taste, and hit OK. Works great.

    It's also an interesting photo editor in it's own right. $89.95 or so from
    http://www.dl-c.com/Temp/ A bit steep for just defishing, but I like certain
    of its functions better than Photoshop.

    There's a tutorial at http://www.normankoren.com/

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Nov 15, 2003

  3. Peter Sale wrote:

    > There is a fellow, http://www.rcfisher.com/malltest.html, who captures
    > images via Fuji S2 Pro with an 8mm Sigma fisheye lens, and a Mac program
    > called "DeFish" to convert these images from fisheye to equirectangular. I
    > would like to do the same sort of thing via my brother's D100, an 8mm Sigma
    > fisheye, and some "easy to use" PC software. Can anyone recommend some PC
    > software besides Panotools, which is NOT easy to use, to accomplish the
    > DeFish task on a PC?

    PanoTools will do this, as well as lots of other things, and it is free.

    For single-image transformation, you might not even need any of the
    frontends.

    Terje

    --
    - <>
    Terje Mathisen, Nov 15, 2003
  4. Peter Sale

    John Bean Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 02:41:11 GMT, Peter Sale wrote:

    > There is a fellow, http://www.rcfisher.com/malltest.html, who captures
    > images via Fuji S2 Pro with an 8mm Sigma fisheye lens, and a Mac program
    > called "DeFish" to convert these images from fisheye to equirectangular. I
    > would like to do the same sort of thing via my brother's D100, an 8mm Sigma
    > fisheye, and some "easy to use" PC software. Can anyone recommend some PC
    > software besides Panotools, which is NOT easy to use, to accomplish the
    > DeFish task on a PC?
    > -Peter

    If you use Photoshop, have a look at the debarrelizer plugin from
    http://www.theimagingfactory.com

    Very simple to use, works perfectly, and has a free trial period.

    --
    John Bean

    I tried to wrestle my inner demons once...
    but they used to many illegal holds (Amanda McAllister)
    John Bean, Nov 15, 2003
  5. Peter Sale

    Peter Sale Guest

    > Peter Sale wrote:
    <snip>
    >> Can anyone recommend some PC software besides Panotools, which is NOT
    >> easy to use, to accomplish the DeFish task on a PC?

    Terje replied:
    > PanoTools will do this, as well as lots of other things, and it is free.
    >
    > For single-image transformation, you might not even need any of the
    > frontends.

    Hi Terje,
    I looked into PanoTools prior to posting my question (see above). It
    certainly seems able to do what I'm looking for, but I was unable to find
    any meaningful instructions on how to use it. Moreover, I was unable to
    find an english language newslist where I might pose questions on how to use
    it. Might you have access to either one of these useful resources?
    -Peter
    Peter Sale, Nov 15, 2003
  6. Peter Sale

    Arvin Chang Guest

    "Peter Sale" <> wrote in message news:<riqtb.1282$>...
    > > Peter Sale wrote:

    > <snip>
    > >> Can anyone recommend some PC software besides Panotools, which is NOT
    > >> easy to use, to accomplish the DeFish task on a PC?

    > Terje replied:
    > > PanoTools will do this, as well as lots of other things, and it is free.
    > >
    > > For single-image transformation, you might not even need any of the
    > > frontends.

    > Hi Terje,
    > I looked into PanoTools prior to posting my question (see above). It
    > certainly seems able to do what I'm looking for, but I was unable to find
    > any meaningful instructions on how to use it. Moreover, I was unable to
    > find an english language newslist where I might pose questions on how to use
    > it. Might you have access to either one of these useful resources?
    > -Peter

    Hey Peter, you should find these two links very helpful

    --Arvin

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/imagealign.shtml
    http://www.acapixus.dk/photography/panotools.htm
    Arvin Chang, Nov 15, 2003
  7. Peter Sale

    Peter Sale Guest

    Peter Sale, Nov 16, 2003
  8. Peter Sale wrote:

    >>Peter Sale wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    >>>Can anyone recommend some PC software besides Panotools, which is NOT
    >>>easy to use, to accomplish the DeFish task on a PC?

    > Terje replied:
    >
    >>PanoTools will do this, as well as lots of other things, and it is free.
    >>
    >>For single-image transformation, you might not even need any of the
    >>frontends.

    > Hi Terje,
    > I looked into PanoTools prior to posting my question (see above). It
    > certainly seems able to do what I'm looking for, but I was unable to find
    > any meaningful instructions on how to use it. Moreover, I was unable to
    > find an english language newslist where I might pose questions on how to use
    > it. Might you have access to either one of these useful resources?

    Here's a short how-to, using PTAsm (I've done this for a four-image 360
    degree panorama):

    1) Start PTAsm, load the single fisheye image into it using the first
    (Source Image) panel.

    2) Using the second panel (Lens/Settings) define Global Settings - Lens
    Type (f) as either Circular fisheye or full-frame fisheye.

    Set Panorama Projection to Rectilinear (for printing and viewing).

    In the same panel, define (at least approximately) the Field Of View
    (FOV) in degrees.

    Leave the distortion parameters at defaults (a=0, b=0.01, c=0)

    3) (This is optional!) If you have any horizontal and/or vertical lines
    in the image, define control points along these lines.

    4) If you went through step 3, you should now run panel four, the
    optimizer. Try first to only allow yaw, pitch and roll to be optimized.
    Later on you can also try (b) as well as FOV (if you didn't have a good
    starting value for it)

    5) Using the final (Create) panel, you should first hit
    [Auto_Size_Parameters] and do a preview.

    The result should be a nicely rectilinear output image!

    Terje

    PS. Email me direct if you need more help!
    --
    - <>
    Terje Mathisen, Nov 16, 2003
  9. Peter Sale wrote:

    > "Arvin Chang" wrote
    > <snip> Hey Peter, you should find these two links very helpful
    >
    >>--Arvin
    >>
    >>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/imagealign.shtml
    >>http://www.acapixus.dk/photography/panotools.htm

    > Hi Arvin,
    > I have taken a quick look at both of these URLs, and they seem to cover
    > exactly what I'm looking for, and then some. I'll know more later.

    Using the PS filter version of PanoTools is nice, I still suggest going
    via the PTAsm front-end route if you want full control, particularly
    if/when you want to square up an image with lots of rectangular details.

    Terje

    --
    - <>
    Terje Mathisen, Nov 16, 2003
  10. Peter Sale

    Peter Sale Guest

    "Terje Mathisen" wrote:
    > > <snip>
    >>
    > >>For single-image transformation, you might not even need any of the
    > >>frontends.

    >><snip>

    > Here's a short how-to, using PTAsm (I've done this for a four-image 360
    > degree panorama):
    >
    > 1) Start PTAsm, load the single fisheye image into it using the first
    > (Source Image) panel.
    > <snip>

    Hi Terje,
    Even a Google search failed to locate "PTAsm", although I did find something
    called PTGui at
    http://www.ptgui.com/ . Where can I locate "PTAsm?"

    Please keep in mind that I already own, and more importantly, know how to
    use a stitching program that I like very much called "The Panorama Factory,"
    and that I only wish to "remap" fisheye images acquired via a Nikon D100
    camera with a Sigma 8mm fisheye lens to either rectilinear or
    equirectangular images. While I have enjoyed some limited success, I feel
    that I should be able to get a little wider "vertical" field of view than
    what I have gotten so far.

    Surf on over to http://gfsphotographic.com/peter's_%20stuff/resized_8/ to
    view my test (fisheye) images. Some QTVR MOVies I made from these
    "remapped" images reside at http://www.petersale.com/qtvr/fisheye/ . All my
    MOV files have descriptive names staring with "Samy's_fisheye..."

    -Peter
    Peter Sale, Nov 19, 2003