    of pictures, and also able to work accross sub-folders automatically?

    Thanks,
    Tom
    Tom, Apr 30, 2006

  2. Tom wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking to backup my digital pictures to my FTP/web space online.
    > However, I have more than 4 Gb of pictures, most of my pictures are taken
    > at 2 or3 mega pixels, so the individual files are quite large. What I
    > would like to do is recompress all the pictures to a lower resolution (say
    > 800x600) before the backup, so the size is much smaller.
    >
    > This way, I can achieve backup and still at least have the pictures
    > viewable at screen quality in case my PC fails.
    >
    > Does anybody know a tool/utility, able to do batch
    > processing/recompression of pictures, and also able to work accross
    > sub-folders automatically?

    I suggest that you forget this idea. What is the point of backing up a
    degraded quality of your pictures? If your HD crash, you will NEVER get
    your original pictures back.

    4 Gb is not much. You can make a backup of all your pictures on one DVD.

    I got 80 Gb of pictures (~ 3 years). I use both DVD and DLT for backuping up
    my pictures.

    --
    Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
    http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/Foto/
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes, Apr 30, 2006

  3. Tom

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking to backup my digital pictures to my FTP/web space online.
    > However, I have more than 4 Gb of pictures, most of my pictures are taken
    > at 2 or3 mega pixels, so the individual files are quite large. What I
    > would like to do is recompress all the pictures to a lower resolution (say
    > 800x600) before the backup, so the size is much smaller.
    >
    > This way, I can achieve backup and still at least have the pictures
    > viewable at screen quality in case my PC fails.
    >
    > Does anybody know a tool/utility, able to do batch
    > processing/recompression of pictures, and also able to work accross
    > sub-folders automatically?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tom

    A better approach is to backup to CDs or DVDs, even make more than one copy.
    I put each day's work on a CD or more than one CD, then consolidate a week's
    work on a DVD.

    Servers crash. I have had to upload my backup files to my server more than
    several times.

    Keep the original files.

    That is my opinion.
    Rudy Benner, Apr 30, 2006
  4. Tom

    Marvin Guest

    Marvin, Apr 30, 2006
  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks, I am backing-up my PC files to DVDs, but I also like to have an
    online backup (encrypted), in case there is a fire at home for example. I
    know I could have the DVDs offsite also, but it's more maintenance and DVDs
    are not necessarily reliable anyway.

    The internet provider where my website is hosted is very reliable.

    Tom, Apr 30, 2006
  6. Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

    > I got 80 Gb of pictures (~ 3 years). I use both DVD and DLT for
    > backuping up my pictures.

    While I agree that DVD is a great cheap backup for everyday needs for the
    basic user, a DLT and AIT drive is not only slow, but also can be more
    problematic and less reliable due to premature tape failure. This is why we
    totally abandoned ours to use U320 SCSI drives for our backup media of
    choice. They are extremely fast, reliable, and very inexpensive.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Apr 30, 2006
  7. Tom

    jimbok Guest

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:53:44 +0100, "Tom" <> wrote:

    >Does anybody know a tool/utility, able to do batch processing/recompression
    >of pictures, and also able to work accross sub-folders automatically?

    Irfanview, freeware, will allow you to batch resize to virtually any
    size you want. It will also allow you to use options to sharpen,
    lighten, etc. during the process. It can also work across
    subfolders.
    www.irfanview.com
    --
    jimbok
    jimbok, Apr 30, 2006
  8. Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

    > Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
    >
    >> I got 80 Gb of pictures (~ 3 years). I use both DVD and DLT for
    >> backuping up my pictures.

    > While I agree that DVD is a great cheap backup for everyday needs for the
    > basic user, a DLT and AIT drive is not only slow, but also can be more
    > problematic and less reliable due to premature tape failure. This is why
    > we totally abandoned ours to use U320 SCSI drives for our backup media of
    > choice. They are extremely fast, reliable, and very inexpensive.

    DVDs don't offer that long life-time as DLT. And I have never had any
    problems with premature tape failure or any other failure.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes, Apr 30, 2006
  9. Tom wrote:

    > Thanks, I am backing-up my PC files to DVDs, but I also like to have an
    > online backup (encrypted), in case there is a fire at home for example. I
    > know I could have the DVDs offsite also, but it's more maintenance and
    > DVDs are not necessarily reliable anyway.
    >
    > The internet provider where my website is hosted is very reliable.

    Keep a copy of the DVD at some friends or rent a safty deposit box at your
    local bank (which I do). You could keep a copy at work too.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes, Apr 30, 2006
  10. Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

    > DVDs don't offer that long life-time as DLT. And I have never had any
    > problems with premature tape failure or any other failure.

    Yep, DVDs are great for general purpose backups that you have enough sets of
    that if a few fail you will have already covered your butt. As for tape,
    you generally don't *KNOW* that you have a problem till you have to restore
    a catastrophic failure. Been there done that and seen it happen too many
    times were people have backed up religiously and rotated older tapes out of
    the stream. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have several redundant backup
    copies when using tape. It's all in how much you value your data.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Apr 30, 2006