Software teminology: Server, engine, library

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Frank, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Hi!

    Im looking for a newsgroup where I ask questions about software terminology.
    I have tried to find some computer scientific group, but haven't succeded so
    far. If you have a newsgroup to recommend please quide me to it. At the
    moment I chose to ask here:

    Is there any definition on what is a 'server' (not talking HW) vs. 'engine'
    vs. 'library'?

    To be more specific
    1. Tomcat is called a 'server'. Is this a choice by the product owner? or is
    there some definition of what makes a product a 'server'? Is it the case
    when you have a 'client'?
    2. Some software-branches use the term 'engine', e.g Graphical engines (to
    process 3D-environments)? What makes something a 'engine'?
    3. Many software products are called 'libraries'. As I understand it these
    are passive code (no processes running)?

    Frank
    Frank, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Frank

    Plato Guest

    Frank wrote:

    > Is there any definition on what is a 'server' (not talking HW) vs. 'engine'
    > vs. 'library'?

    What class is this for?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Hi!

    Of course it looks like homework :) I didn't think about it. I am not
    attending any class (but apparently I should have).

    Im working on a hobby project of mine, and Im working on a web-page
    presenting it. I was wondering what term to use.
    At the moment I call it 'engine', but Im not sure what people associate with
    the term 'engine', or if I should call it 'library'.

    Is there any definition or do people use these terms as they feel like?

    Frank

    Frank, Mar 3, 2004
  4. Frank

    Plato Guest

    Frank wrote:

    > Of course it looks like homework :) I didn't think about it. I am not
    > attending any class (but apparently I should have).

    I wish it was so cut and dry. For example, the term "server".
    Personally, I think of a server as a computer [hardware] thats set to
    provide files to others. Others tho call server software a "server". eg
    like they say "I just installed an email server on my pc" when they are
    just talking about the software.

    The term "engine" is equally confusing. I remember when I first heard of
    the term when installing/playing d00m eg "initiallizing 3D engine" like
    I'm suppossed to be impressed.

    Its just the software that runs the game.
    Plato, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Frank

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Frank" <> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > Im looking for a newsgroup where I ask questions about software

    terminology.
    > I have tried to find some computer scientific group, but haven't succeded

    so
    > far. If you have a newsgroup to recommend please quide me to it. At the
    > moment I chose to ask here:
    >
    > Is there any definition on what is a 'server' (not talking HW) vs.

    'engine'
    > vs. 'library'?
    >
    > To be more specific
    > 1. Tomcat is called a 'server'. Is this a choice by the product owner? or

    is
    > there some definition of what makes a product a 'server'? Is it the case
    > when you have a 'client'?

    A server program is a program that does a function for a client program. The
    client program makes a request to the server program and the server program
    (serves it up).

    For lack of a better term, an engine program is several server programs
    combined into one program that does all the tasks for client program.

    Like a User Interface (UI) program that calls upon its engine (server)
    program to carryout the requested task.

    > 2. Some software-branches use the term 'engine', e.g Graphical engines (to
    > process 3D-environments)? What makes something a 'engine'?

    For lack of a better term, an engine program is several server programs
    combined into one program that does all the tasks for client program.

    Like a User Interface (UI) program that calls upon its engine (server)
    program to carryout the requested task.

    > 3. Many software products are called 'libraries'. As I understand it these
    > are passive code (no processes running)?

    A library of prorgams are static specilized code that can be included in a
    server or client program and is compiled to make an executable.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Mar 5, 2004
  6. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Hi!

    Thank you for your responses.
    I suspected that this was 'confusing' issue, probably the definitions are
    made by 'sales and marketing' divisions in companies :)

    Frank
    Frank, Mar 5, 2004