Software suggestions? I am getting rid of MS security-vulnerable CRAP!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by hugh jass, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Please suggest if you have some good ideas...
    I have been doing a little research and am looking for freeware to
    accomplish the following:

    1. web browser. Not happy with IE, NS, or even Mozilla's Firebird (it's
    nice that it's free and opensource, but f**k it's slow!)

    2. email. Have checked out a few (eudora, pegasus, oe, outlook, bloomba,
    thunderbird). Have to say that so far, Bloomba is better than the rest in
    performance. oe is good for functionality, but too many pitfalls in
    security and performance. Tbird has good functionality too, but f**k is it
    slow!

    3. spam catcher. Have tried a bunch and like the ones that control email on
    the server (Mailwasher or Magic mail monitor). Also trying to get into
    SAproxy as it is freeware and runs with Bloomba, but haven't been able to
    figure out (in less than 10 minutes) how to get it to 'learn' what is spam
    and what isn't from undetected and misdetected messages I have stored. Is
    SAproxy as good as I hear spamassassin is on unix machines?

    4. office software (word processing and spreadsheet). Star office and open
    office have left something to be desired. Any other suggestions or are they
    getting better since I tried them a year ago?

    your suggestions are appreciated, hj.

    --
    ______________________
    hugh jass, Sep 26, 2003

  2. This is the Flibbydabby Dee Service of the BBC, & on Thu, 25 Sep 2003
    22:27:24 -0400, hugh jass uttered this:

    > Please suggest if you have some good ideas...
    > I have been doing a little research and am looking for freeware to
    > accomplish the following:
    >
    > 1. web browser. Not happy with IE, NS, or even Mozilla's Firebird (it's
    > nice that it's free and opensource, but f**k it's slow!)

    Have you tried Opera? It's pretty fast, though mine's the linux version...

    > 2. email. Have checked out a few (eudora, pegasus, oe, outlook, bloomba,
    > thunderbird). Have to say that so far, Bloomba is better than the rest in
    > performance. oe is good for functionality, but too many pitfalls in
    > security and performance. Tbird has good functionality too, but f**k is it
    > slow!

    Forte Agent (free version).

    > 3. spam catcher. Have tried a bunch and like the ones that control email on
    > the server (Mailwasher or Magic mail monitor). Also trying to get into
    > SAproxy as it is freeware and runs with Bloomba, but haven't been able to
    > figure out (in less than 10 minutes) how to get it to 'learn' what is spam
    > and what isn't from undetected and misdetected messages I have stored. Is
    > SAproxy as good as I hear spamassassin is on unix machines?

    > 4. office software (word processing and spreadsheet). Star office and open
    > office have left something to be desired. Any other suggestions or are they
    > getting better since I tried them a year ago?

    I'm using Open Office (linux version 1.0), & find it ok for what I want.

    William Poaster, Sep 26, 2003