    Windows and *nix systems. free or commercial makes no difference to me,
    but ease of setup would be a bonus :).

    thanks
    Nova, Jul 12, 2005

  2. How about using CARP?

    You can also do round-robbin connections using pf or other firewalls (to
    share the load), and perhaps run a script to test if the host is up and
    alter the firewall rules accordingly.

    I'd look at using pf and/or CARP on FreeBSD or OpenBSD.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Nova wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any software routers where you can route by port to
    > an ip, but if the destintation port/ip is not responding you can then
    > instruct the router to route to a secondary ip, and if thats not working
    > another ip etc etc. I have had a quick scan around but haven't had much
    > luck finding this feature. I am looking for software routers both for
    > Windows and *nix systems. free or commercial makes no difference to me,
    > but ease of setup would be a bonus :).

    Routing port to an IP is easy, port mapper from analogx.com
    The next bit would be tricky... it almost looks like load
    balancing/round-robin type software, but not sure from your description.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Nova

    thing2 Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any software routers where you can route by port to
    > an ip, but if the destintation port/ip is not responding you can then
    > instruct the router to route to a secondary ip, and if thats not working
    > another ip etc etc. I have had a quick scan around but haven't had much
    > luck finding this feature. I am looking for software routers both for
    > Windows and *nix systems. free or commercial makes no difference to me,
    > but ease of setup would be a bonus :).
    >
    > thanks

    This sounds like a cluster setup with IP packet re-direction.

    So you have a node at the front and a range of servers behind it, the
    front node does the load / balance / fall over job.

    The front node is usually an active/passive 2 node cluster, feeding to
    the 3 node or more application / database servers....To make it worth
    while you are really looking at needing the sort of number crunching
    from 3 or more back end boxes to make the entire 5+ box setup worthwhile.

    regards

    thing
    thing2, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Nova

    David Preece Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any software routers where you can route by port to
    > an ip, but if the destintation port/ip is not responding you can then
    > instruct the router to route to a secondary ip, and if thats not working
    > another ip etc etc.

    That'll be a load balancer then. How you do it depends on how much
    traffic you're wanting to shift - if it's a gigabit then you'll need to
    talk to the likes of alteon, but if it's only a few Mbit then I think
    there are OSS load balancers around. Hang on...

    http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/

    http://www.inlab.de/balance.html

    It's a start, anyway.

    Cheers,
    Dave
    David Preece, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Nova

    Gordon Smith Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any software routers where you can route by port to
    > an ip, but if the destintation port/ip is not responding you can then
    > instruct the router to route to a secondary ip, and if thats not working
    > another ip etc etc. I have had a quick scan around but haven't had much
    > luck finding this feature. I am looking for software routers both for
    > Windows and *nix systems. free or commercial makes no difference to me,
    > but ease of setup would be a bonus :).
    >
    > thanks

    Thats what a layer 4 switch does
    Gordon Smith, Jul 14, 2005