Software Restriction Policies

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Keith Chilton, Feb 12, 2007.

  1. The software restriction policies are not very useful for me personally. I
    want to be able to make certain programs have "administrative" rights and
    keep the user down at the "User" status instead of making them a "power
    user" or "administrator" to get those "administrative" rights just for the
    sole purpose of running one program they need. Any ideas on this???? From
    what I've read on the Internet about it so far today, Microsoft didnt cover
    it too well. But from what I hear in Vista they have made this easier!!!
    woohoo!

    --
    Keith Chilton, MCP
    Data Services Technician

    messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions
    and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by
    my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorized
    representative independent of this message.
    Keith Chilton, Feb 12, 2007

  2. Michael

    Hey do you have any ideas how to do this?

    Keith

    Keith Chilton, Feb 14, 2007

  3. Keith Chilton

    TurkReno Guest

    "Keith Chilton" <> wrote in

    > Michael
    >
    > Hey do you have any ideas how to do this?
    >
    > Keith
    >

    > "Keith Chilton" <> wrote in message
    >> The software restriction policies are not very useful for me
    >> personally. I want to be able to make certain programs have
    >> "administrative" rights and keep the user down at the "User" status
    >> instead of making them a "power user" or "administrator" to get those
    >> "administrative" rights just for the sole purpose of running one
    >> program they need. Any ideas on this???? From what I've read on the
    >> Internet about it so far today, Microsoft didnt cover it too well.
    >> But from what I hear in Vista they have made this easier!!! woohoo!

    One word to solve your problem: Groups. Make a group policy that
    restricts their access, but test it in a test environment before you
    implement it, of course.

    Vista....ehh....that's Vista. I failed to see the "Wow" until I hooked
    up my XBox 360 to my network. It is nice, and the settings to control a
    user are nicer, but again I'm going to be cliche and tell you to wait a
    few months even though I'm running Vista Business.

    --
    Lasher
    MCNGP #50
    TurkReno, Feb 14, 2007
  4. where can i individualize the programs turkreno in group policy? i can't
    find anything other than software restriction policies and that isn't going
    to work ( i dont think)

    Keith Chilton, Feb 14, 2007
  5. Are you asking if there is a way to give users "administrative rights"
    for programs they need to run? What programs are you trying to run that
    require administrative rights?

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Feb 15, 2007
  6. Yes that's what i'm wanting. Just specific programs to have all out
    administrative access when they are run for a person with a "User" account.
    Not "power user". I think power users have too much leeway security-wise.
    I cant even remember the programs names. They are for specific departments
    where I work. One is for our loan department and one if for our wealth
    management. They just won't run without administrative rights. :(

    Keith Chilton, Feb 15, 2007
  7. Unfortunately this is caused by poorly designed programs. There are 2
    options that have helped me in the past regarding this. 1.) Contact the
    manufacture to see if there is a patch, 2.) Sometimes these programs can
    be modified in the registry to work without administrative rights. The
    issue with the latter is that you have to know the program, what to
    modify, or contact the software manufacture tech support for assistance.

    Start with the manufacture. Explain you dilemma and see what their fix
    is. More ammo to upgrade to Vista:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/11/UAC/default.aspx

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Feb 15, 2007
  8. Thanks michael. UAC will be a nice feature of Vista i'm looking forward to.
    Great link btw! I appreciate the assistance. Probably not much I can do
    except what you said (contacting the software manufacturer)

    --
    Keith Chilton - Data Services Technician / Proof Operator
    River Valley Financial Bank
    430 Clifty Drive
    Madison, IN 47250

    Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730

    messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any opinions or advice
    contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions in any
    applicable client engagement letter or agreement.

    Keith Chilton, Feb 15, 2007