software player that always allows time seek?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by edward@paleo.org, Jul 31, 2005.

  1. Guest

    With most DVDs, when playing them on a computer, the software allows
    you to drag the time slider or click on the playback timeline to go to
    a new spot in the movie. But I've run into a few DVDs which somehow
    inhibit this behavior -- click in the timeline and nothing happens,
    drag the slider and it pops back to the original position. Very
    frustrating.

    I have no idea why they do this, since AFAIK it only matters when
    playing the movie on a computer, or perhaps on some high end DVD
    players. (Mine is low end, so I don't know from high end.) It's
    definitely something in the data -- one of these is one I own, The
    Umbrellas of Cherbourg, which I've copied to disk, and it does the same
    thing playing from hard disk.

    Anyway, I've been playing DVDs using Windows Media Player (under
    Windows XP). Is there a software DVD player for XP that allows going to
    arbitrary positions in the movie even when this flag is set to inhibit
    it? And which can play direct from either DVD or hard disk?

    Edward

    , Jul 31, 2005