    revert to a black desktop pattern every 60 minutes. For some reason, this
    has upset a lot of people in China.

    <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081023-microsoft-lets-1000-blackouts-bloom-chinese-users-upset.html>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 24, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft's current Dimdows XP updates apparently causes unvalidated PCs
    >> to revert to a black desktop pattern every 60 minutes. For some reason,
    >> this has upset a lot of people in China.
    >>

    > <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081023-microsoft-lets-1000-blackouts-bloom-chinese-users-upset.html>
    >
    > Tough I say. I think if Microsoft can 100% identify the installations as
    > being pirated, then they should prevent them from working (or seriously
    > disable them in some way).

    No no no no no. They will never have it at 100%. I've had too many things
    go wrong with software that I legitimately paid for because of crap like
    this to ever support such nonsense.

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 24, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Mutlley Guest

    Allistar <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft's current Dimdows XP updates apparently causes unvalidated PCs
    >> to revert to a black desktop pattern every 60 minutes. For some reason,
    >> this has upset a lot of people in China.
    >>

    ><http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081023-microsoft-lets-1000-blackouts-bloom-chinese-users-upset.html>
    >
    >Tough I say. I think if Microsoft can 100% identify the installations as
    >being pirated, then they should prevent them from working (or seriously
    >disable them in some way).

    And to get a legit version where??

    Mutlley, Oct 24, 2008
  4. In message <gdrga0$pdd$>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Tough I say. I think if Microsoft can 100% identify the installations as
    >> being pirated, then they should prevent them from working (or seriously
    >> disable them in some way).

    > No no no no no. They will never have it at 100%. I've had too many
    > things go wrong with software that I legitimately paid for because of crap
    > like this to ever support such nonsense.

    I'm with Allistar. Let them enforce their "intellectual property rights" all
    they want. The more draconian they act, and they more they annoy their
    customers, the more attractive Free Software becomes.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 24, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-10-24, Mutlley <> wrote:
    > Allistar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft's current Dimdows XP updates apparently causes unvalidated PCs
    >>> to revert to a black desktop pattern every 60 minutes. For some reason,
    >>> this has upset a lot of people in China.
    >>>

    >><http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081023-microsoft-lets-1000-blackouts-bloom-chinese-users-upset.html>
    >>
    >>Tough I say. I think if Microsoft can 100% identify the installations as
    >>being pirated, then they should prevent them from working (or seriously
    >>disable them in some way).

    > And to get a legit version where??

    On a Netbook. Try to keep up eh

    Gordon, Oct 24, 2008
  6. On 24 Oct 2008 07:42:52 GMT, Gordon <> wrote in

    > On 2008-10-24, Mutlley <> wrote:
    >> Allistar <> wrote:

    >>><http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081023-microsoft-lets-1000-blackouts-bloom-chinese-users-upset.html>
    >>>
    >>>Tough I say. I think if Microsoft can 100% identify the installations as
    >>>being pirated, then they should prevent them from working (or seriously
    >>>disable them in some way).

    >> And to get a legit version where??

    > On a Netbook. Try to keep up eh

    Hasn't been up in the last twenty years...

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 24, 2008
  7. Hi there,

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Microsoft's current Dimdows XP updates apparently causes unvalidated PCs to
    > revert to a black desktop pattern every 60 minutes. For some reason, this
    > has upset a lot of people in China.
    >
    > <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081023-microsoft-lets-1000-blackouts-bloom-chinese-users-upset.html>

    Let Microsoft go ahead with it. If so many are pirating Windows
    then they've only got themselves to blame. Even a pro-Linux user
    like myself is not above buying a legit Vista to install on this
    computer I'm selling.

    It may encourage more users to try a Linux distro, and several
    already exist that cater for Chinese language.

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 24, 2008
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Mutlley Guest

    z (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, OZZY Boy <> wrote:
    >>On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 16:50:49 +1300, Mutlley <> wrote:

    >(snip)
    >
    >>You have to By Vista..

    >I regularly pass by vista. A sane choice I agree. :)
    >
    >>Its a lock in..

    >.. and that's one of the best reasons why it's a bad choice :)

    I spent allot of time last weekend looking for a laptop for wifey. My
    criteria was it had to be WinXP, hers that it did not have a gloss
    screen. Found both at PC Tech in a Toshiba L300 laptop. This was the
    only WinXP laptop that I could find anywhere..

    Mutlley, Oct 28, 2008

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 28, 2008
  10. In article <>, Mutlley <> wrote:
    > (Bruce Sinclair)
    >wrote:
    >>In article <>, OZZY Boy

    > <> wrote:
    >>>On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 16:50:49 +1300, Mutlley <> wrote:

    >>(snip)
    >>>You have to By Vista..

    >>I regularly pass by vista. A sane choice I agree. :)
    >>>Its a lock in..

    >>.. and that's one of the best reasons why it's a bad choice :)

    >I spent allot of time last weekend looking for a laptop for wifey. My
    >criteria was it had to be WinXP, hers that it did not have a gloss
    >screen. Found both at PC Tech in a Toshiba L300 laptop. This was the
    >only WinXP laptop that I could find anywhere..

    Yeah ... it's getting harder. My choice (for a while now for home) has been
    linux. Does everything I want and more importantly, nothing that I don't.
    That said, other half recently bought a vista laptop, then spent days trying
    to get the DVD player working. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 28, 2008