Software-only gateway?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Greg Nolle, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. Greg Nolle

    Greg Nolle Guest

    Hi everyone!

    I've been hunting around this NG and a couple of others all day for an
    answer to my query but I've come up with very little so far. I hope
    that I haven't overlooked anything and I hope that my post is not
    off-topic...

    I'm looking for a way to set up a VoIP gateway so that I can make
    phone calls through my landline when I'm away from the home, using a
    VoIP client of some sort. Ideally it would also work the other way in
    that calls coming through on the landline would be routed through to
    the client. So far the only solution I've found is WinIVR
    (www.winivr.com) which appears to do exactly what I want. Indeed, it
    seemed absolutely perfect when I first found it but, alas, I can't get
    it to work properly in full-duplex mode. I know for a fact that the
    three different modems I've tried it with are all full-duplex and the
    drivers are the most recent from the respective manufacturers.
    However, I can still only get one "channel" to work -- speaking into
    the computer comes out of the phone but speaking into the phone does
    not come out of the computer. Has anyone else had similar experiences
    and found a way to fix it?

    Or are there any other software packages around that will do what I
    want at a decent price? I'm only a student so I can't afford an
    expensive hardware solution and such solutions seem overkill for what
    I want.

    The other solution I'm considering is the SIPCall (www.sipcall.co.uk)
    service that someone mentioned in this group a few days ago. That
    offers both incoming and outgoing PC-to-phone calls but their rates
    are rather steep (almost 5p a minute for calls to landlines). And
    obviously I couldn't use my current landline number with them.

    Thanks in advance for any advice,

    Greg Nolle
    Greg Nolle, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Greg Nolle wrote:

    > Hi everyone!
    >
    > I've been hunting around this NG and a couple of others all day for an
    > answer to my query but I've come up with very little so far. I hope
    > that I haven't overlooked anything and I hope that my post is not
    > off-topic...
    >
    > I'm looking for a way to set up a VoIP gateway so that I can make
    > phone calls through my landline when I'm away from the home, using a
    > VoIP client of some sort. Ideally it would also work the other way in
    > that calls coming through on the landline would be routed through to
    > the client. So far the only solution I've found is WinIVR
    > (www.winivr.com) which appears to do exactly what I want. Indeed, it
    > seemed absolutely perfect when I first found it but, alas, I can't get
    > it to work properly in full-duplex mode. I know for a fact that the
    > three different modems I've tried it with are all full-duplex and the
    > drivers are the most recent from the respective manufacturers.
    > However, I can still only get one "channel" to work -- speaking into
    > the computer comes out of the phone but speaking into the phone does
    > not come out of the computer. Has anyone else had similar experiences
    > and found a way to fix it?
    >
    > Or are there any other software packages around that will do what I
    > want at a decent price? I'm only a student so I can't afford an
    > expensive hardware solution and such solutions seem overkill for what
    > I want.
    >
    > The other solution I'm considering is the SIPCall (www.sipcall.co.uk)
    > service that someone mentioned in this group a few days ago. That
    > offers both incoming and outgoing PC-to-phone calls but their rates
    > are rather steep (almost 5p a minute for calls to landlines). And
    > obviously I couldn't use my current landline number with them.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice,
    >
    > Greg Nolle

    Hi Greg,

    I don't know what you line-type is, but I have run ISDN2H323 succesfully
    here. I have a linux based server with a simple, cheap ISDN board. This
    is connected to my PBX. I have succesfully routed calls from the outside
    to an H323 client on my network and routed calls from an H323 client to
    the outside world.

    The linux solution is cheap (ie. free) and H.323 is also free. The only
    investments would be :
    - ISDN board (this assuming that you have ISDN available)
    - PC for use with linux (I ran it on a P3 700 if I remember correct).

    Perhaps you can also find a simular package for analog modems/lines.

    Arnold
    Arnold Ligtvoet, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Greg Nolle

    Greg Nolle Guest

    Arnold Ligtvoet <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi Greg,
    >
    > I don't know what you line-type is, but I have run ISDN2H323 succesfully
    > here. I have a linux based server with a simple, cheap ISDN board. This
    > is connected to my PBX. I have succesfully routed calls from the outside
    > to an H323 client on my network and routed calls from an H323 client to
    > the outside world.
    >
    > The linux solution is cheap (ie. free) and H.323 is also free. The only
    > investments would be :
    > - ISDN board (this assuming that you have ISDN available)
    > - PC for use with linux (I ran it on a P3 700 if I remember correct).
    >
    > Perhaps you can also find a simular package for analog modems/lines.
    >
    > Arnold

    Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately I do not have an
    ISDN line and, since I have ADSL, it is not really possible/practical
    to get one. But that program does seem to be the sort of thing I'm
    looking for -- I just need one that supports analogue modems.

    Thanks anyway,

    Greg.
    Greg Nolle, Sep 5, 2003
  4. Greg Nolle

    Peter Guest

    > Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately I do not have an
    > ISDN line and, since I have ADSL, it is not really possible/practical
    > to get one. But that program does seem to be the sort of thing I'm

    Why? I have both ADSL & ISDN coming into house... they share the same pair.
    My impression is that no voice modem will perform well enough, it won't do
    full duplex etc. Dedicated voice boards will cost you. ISDN cards can be had
    very cheap, and will instantly give you bunch of additional services like
    caller id, call waiting, call progress monitoring, fast connections etc.

    Peter
    Peter, Sep 6, 2003
  5. Greg Nolle

    Greg Nolle Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message news:<bjb5ia$ekak9$-berlin.de>...
    > Why? I have both ADSL & ISDN coming into house... they share the same pair.
    > My impression is that no voice modem will perform well enough, it won't do
    > full duplex etc. Dedicated voice boards will cost you. ISDN cards can be had
    > very cheap, and will instantly give you bunch of additional services like
    > caller id, call waiting, call progress monitoring, fast connections etc.
    >
    > Peter

    I assume you mean that you have a seperate ADSL and ISDN line coming
    into your house? What I meant was that you can't have, AFAIK, ADSL
    activated on an ISDN line. Besides which, I've just checked BT's web
    site and it appears that the cheapest ISDN rental is £23 month plus
    £275 connection. That's way out of my price range and makes the
    SIPCall service seem cheap in comparison (I'm not going to be making
    that many calls).

    Greg.
    Greg Nolle, Sep 6, 2003
  6. Greg Nolle

    Greg Nolle Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message news:<bjb5ia$ekak9$-berlin.de>...
    > Why? I have both ADSL & ISDN coming into house... they share the same pair.
    > My impression is that no voice modem will perform well enough, it won't do
    > full duplex etc. Dedicated voice boards will cost you. ISDN cards can be had
    > very cheap, and will instantly give you bunch of additional services like
    > caller id, call waiting, call progress monitoring, fast connections etc.
    >
    > Peter

    Almost forgot to add: surely there must be some way of getting it to
    work on a standard analog modem? Somebody must have got WinIVR, for
    example, working as such otherwise they wouldn't say that the software
    supports it.

    Greg.
    Greg Nolle, Sep 6, 2003
  7. Greg Nolle

    NOONE Guest

    Greg Nolle wrote:

    > Hi everyone!
    >
    > I've been hunting around this NG and a couple of others all day for an
    > answer to my query but I've come up with very little so far. I hope
    > that I haven't overlooked anything and I hope that my post is not
    > off-topic...
    >
    > I'm looking for a way to set up a VoIP gateway so that I can make
    > phone calls through my landline when I'm away from the home, using a
    > VoIP client of some sort. Ideally it would also work the other way in
    > that calls coming through on the landline would be routed through to
    > the client. So far the only solution I've found is WinIVR
    > (www.winivr.com) which appears to do exactly what I want. Indeed, it
    > seemed absolutely perfect when I first found it but, alas, I can't get
    > it to work properly in full-duplex mode. I know for a fact that the
    > three different modems I've tried it with are all full-duplex and the
    > drivers are the most recent from the respective manufacturers.
    > However, I can still only get one "channel" to work -- speaking into
    > the computer comes out of the phone but speaking into the phone does
    > not come out of the computer. Has anyone else had similar experiences
    > and found a way to fix it?
    >
    > Or are there any other software packages around that will do what I
    > want at a decent price? I'm only a student so I can't afford an
    > expensive hardware solution and such solutions seem overkill for what
    > I want.
    >
    > The other solution I'm considering is the SIPCall (www.sipcall.co.uk)
    > service that someone mentioned in this group a few days ago. That
    > offers both incoming and outgoing PC-to-phone calls but their rates
    > are rather steep (almost 5p a minute for calls to landlines). And
    > obviously I couldn't use my current landline number with them.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice,
    >
    > Greg Nolle

    If you are running a Linux OS machine, you might want to look at the
    following sites:

    http://www.asterisk.org
    http://www.OpenH323.org
    http://www.GnuGK.org
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/fobbit <=== for VoIPBlaster

    Asterisk has a section for IVR. I don't know if it is a fully developed IVR
    or not. For me, VoIPBlaster (VB) is more than sufficient. Therefore, Fobbit
    software + driver are of my interests, YMMV.

    --
    NOONE
    NOONE, Sep 7, 2003

    > > Why? I have both ADSL & ISDN coming into house... they share the same

    pair.
    > > My impression is that no voice modem will perform well enough, it won't

    do
    > > full duplex etc. Dedicated voice boards will cost you. ISDN cards can be

    had
    > > very cheap, and will instantly give you bunch of additional services

    like
    > > caller id, call waiting, call progress monitoring, fast connections etc.
    > >
    > > Peter

    > I assume you mean that you have a seperate ADSL and ISDN line coming
    > into your house? What I meant was that you can't have, AFAIK, ADSL
    > activated on an ISDN line.

    At least here in Germany it is common to have the combination ISDN/ADSL
    coming
    in from the provider on a single pair. As ISDN is very widely used here in
    Germany, it
    would have been a real bad thing is this was not possible. It might not be
    offered in
    other countries where ISDN is not so widely spread...

    Tobias
    Tobias Erichsen, Sep 8, 2003
  9. Greg Nolle

    peter Guest

    (Greg Nolle) wrote in

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> Why? I have both ADSL & ISDN coming into house... they share the same
    >> pair. My impression is that no voice modem will perform well enough,
    >> it won't do full duplex etc. Dedicated voice boards will cost you.
    >> ISDN cards can be had very cheap, and will instantly give you bunch
    >> of additional services like caller id, call waiting, call progress
    >> monitoring, fast connections etc.

    > I assume you mean that you have a seperate ADSL and ISDN line coming
    > into your house? What I meant was that you can't have, AFAIK, ADSL
    > activated on an ISDN line. Besides which, I've just checked BT's web
    > site and it appears that the cheapest ISDN rental is £23 month plus
    > £275 connection. That's way out of my price range and makes the
    > SIPCall service seem cheap in comparison (I'm not going to be making
    > that many calls).

    Sure you can have ISDN & ADSL on the same line, there's a specific type
    of line splitter in place. BT sounds like a total rip-off at that
    cost... I'm paying equivalent of ~10GBP monthly which is about twice the
    cost of regular line.

    There was a poster on this NG couple of months ago selling single port
    FXO cards for 70$ or so... these were Zaptel/Digium/whatever and are
    supposed to work really well with Asterisk. Might be your best shot...

    Peter
    peter, Sep 9, 2003
  10. Greg Nolle

    James Body Guest

    NOONE <> wrote in message news:<0Qx6b.376979$YN5.252752@sccrnsc01>...
    > Greg Nolle wrote:
    >
    > > The other solution I'm considering is the SIPCall (www.sipcall.co.uk)
    > > service that someone mentioned in this group a few days ago. That
    > > offers both incoming and outgoing PC-to-phone calls but their rates
    > > are rather steep (almost 5p a minute for calls to landlines). And
    > > obviously I couldn't use my current landline number with them.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any advice,
    > >
    > > Greg Nolle

    OK - 5p may appear a bit on the dear side, but remember that SIP<>SIP
    and PSTN<>SIP calls are free - just ring up and get your friends to
    ring you back!!

    Saw an interesting little review of the Intertex AirSIP at
    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2003/q3/intertex_ix66-airsip.asp

    SIPCall gets a good mention - it would appear to be reliable and high
    quality connections. I have signed up for the SIPCall Basic service -
    it works a dream!

    James
    James Body, Sep 10, 2003