    could use?

    Thanks
    Rick

    =?Utf-8?B?Umlja2Y=?=, Nov 3, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Umlja2Y=?=

    Doom Guest

    "Rickf" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am the IT Tech for the business I work for and I think that some of the
    > employees may have some pirated software on there mahines. What risk does
    > that put me under and would a simple release statement signed by them
    > releasing me of the that liabilty of the software on the machines be
    > enought
    > to dojust that "Release Me"?
    > Does any one know of a release like this that is out htere already that i
    > could use?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Rick

    GOOD LUCK IN PRISON

    Doom, Nov 3, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Umlja2Y=?=

    T-Bone Guest

    "Rickf" <> wrote
    > I am the IT Tech for the business I work for and I think that some of the
    > employees may have some pirated software on there mahines. What risk does
    > that put me under and would a simple release statement signed by them
    > releasing me of the that liabilty of the software on the machines be

    enought
    > to dojust that "Release Me"?

    Depends. If you are MS certified and its pirated MS software, they will take
    away your certification.

    No matter what, if you are considered to be responsible for those systems,
    you could be held responsible for the pirated software if the company gets
    busted. There is no release that will get you out of that one.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    T-Bone, Nov 3, 2004
  4. "T-Bone" <reply2me@thenewsgroup> wrote in message
    > "Rickf" <> wrote
    > > I am the IT Tech for the business I work for and I think that some of

    the
    > > employees may have some pirated software on there mahines. What risk

    does
    > > that put me under and would a simple release statement signed by them
    > > releasing me of the that liabilty of the software on the machines be

    > enought
    > > to dojust that "Release Me"?

    > Depends. If you are MS certified and its pirated MS software, they will

    take
    > away your certification.
    >
    > No matter what, if you are considered to be responsible for those systems,
    > you could be held responsible for the pirated software if the company gets
    > busted. There is no release that will get you out of that one.
    >
    > T-Bone
    > MCNGP XL

    Simply put I'm in agreement with T-Bone. I would add, that if you're the IT
    tech, it's your responsibility to go through and remove the software (if
    it's not something the company allows on the computers). I've seen this
    done with games for one example.

    And, you should talk to your supervisor, and institute a policy against
    using pirated software on the corporate network. Since, your company could
    be held liable (MY assumption) and that depending on the source of the
    pirated software, it could introduce a virus or other potential security
    issue to your network. Then, I would go through and remove the software,
    and if they reinstall it, it's up to their supervisors to reprimand them.
    (This should, IMHO, alleviate SOME of your liability if someone investigates
    the software).

    Hope this helps, and if someone can corroborate or correct what I've said,
    please do.
    Patrick.

    --
    Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you...

    Patrick Dickey, Nov 4, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Umlja2Y=?=

    T-Bone Guest

    "Patrick Dickey" <pd1ckey43(removeThis)@msn.com> wrote
    > And, you should talk to your supervisor, and institute a policy against
    > using pirated software on the corporate network.

    Not only a policy against pirated software, but any private software at all.
    Anything put on our machines here at work must be purchased by the company.
    Not only does that help IT keep control of the system configurations, it
    also helps prevent the little mistakes like when somebody brings in
    something form home because "they need it". Yet they don't realize is still
    a violation of the license.

    > Then, I would go through and remove the software,
    > and if they reinstall it, it's up to their supervisors to reprimand them.
    > (This should, IMHO, alleviate SOME of your liability if someone

    investigates
    > the software).

    Yes, if it can be proven that the employee was already caught doing it,
    reprimanded, and still does it, then as long as you can show you are being
    prudent in doing you audits, then you are okay.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    T-Bone, Nov 4, 2004