    of hard drive(s) space. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    BTJustice

    Buford T. Justice, May 18, 2004

  2. Buford T. Justice

    Smarty Guest

    Buford,

    Assuming your .mpg files are mpeg2 format, you might try using TMPGE DVD
    Author. It allows you to add multiple mpeg2 files, edit out commercials with
    a simple and very precise mpeg2 file editor, and create a DVD image file
    which can (in most cases) be burned directly with the same program to DVD.
    For those situations where the output file is too large to burn on a single
    4.7 GB disk, the use of another program like DVDShrink or DVD2ONE will
    compress the file and reduce it to the required size. It can then be burned
    with the same DVD Author program. You can try it for free for 30 days and
    see how you like it. It costs somewhere around $70 if you should decide to
    buy it.

    Smarty

    Smarty, May 18, 2004

  3. Smarty,

    Thanks. I just gave it a try. I am trying to save 3 Soprano episodes
    and the TMPEnc DVD Author program says it will take 9 hours to do it
    all. DAMN!

    BTJustice

    Buford T. Justice, May 18, 2004
  4. Buford T. Justice

    Dave Guest

    time is of the escence. good things come to those who wait

    Dave, May 18, 2004
  5. Buford T. Justice

    Jon Guest

    Buford T. Justice posted the following for all to hear...
    > I have a TV Card which I use to record TV shows. They are saved onto my
    > hard drive as .MPG files. I am looking for software that can take the
    > .MPG recordings I have, let me edit out commercials, ad more than one
    > .MPG, compress the total size to fit 1 DVD-R, and convert & save them
    > directly to a DVD-R. Might anyone have a suggestion? I am almost out
    > of hard drive(s) space. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Get a second hard drive. To mess about with DVDs you need at least 10
    Gig of free space by my reckoning.
    --
    www.unlockingshop.co.uk
    change 'spam' to 'info' to email

    Jon, May 18, 2004
  6. Buford T. Justice

    Billy Joe Guest

    Buford T. Justice wrote:
    > I have a TV Card which I use to record TV shows. They are
    > saved onto my hard drive as .MPG files. I am looking for
    > software that can take the .MPG recordings I have, let me
    > edit out commercials, ad more than one .MPG, compress the
    > total size to fit 1 DVD-R, and convert & save them directly
    > to a DVD-R. Might anyone have a suggestion? I am almost out
    > of hard drive(s) space. Any help will be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > BTJustice

    Well, how about exploring how your stuff works?

    1) Does your stand alone player work with unauthored MPEG2
    files? If so, you don't need authoring software.

    2) Does your capture card allow you to set the same MPEG2
    recording rate that your are trying to shrink to? If so, in the
    future let it do the conversion for you (unless it does so
    poorly, for some reason?).

    3) Did any software come with the capture card? Usually an
    editor, for cutting out commercials, etc., is included and a
    crippled authoring program.

    One BIG problem you will have with limited HD space is not
    having enough room to do the editing and/or compression you want
    to do. A second BIG problem with video work is doing these
    operations on a single drive; the head seeks will really slow
    down the operation.

    If you need to expend dollars to solve these problems, consider
    a new stand alone player first - it may be the least expensive
    and most time saving option you have. New MPEG4 capable players
    handle just about all the popular native (unauthored) video
    formats and provide folder-like selection menus innately.
    Additionally, since they support MPEG4, you could convert your
    captures to that encoding method, reducing file size to one
    sixth or so the original capture while retaining almost all of
    the original quality.

    At one million bits per second of MPEG4 video and 192,000 bits
    per second of MP3 audio you can place in the order of 24 half
    hour programs or 12 one hour programs on a single writable DVD
    (after eliminating commercials and credits).

    BJ

    Billy Joe, May 18, 2004
  7. Buford T. Justice

    Ken Maltby Guest

    > Smarty,
    >
    > Thanks. I just gave it a try. I am trying to save 3 Soprano episodes
    > and the TMPEnc DVD Author program says it will take 9 hours to do it
    > all. DAMN!
    >
    > BTJustice

    That's highly unlikely, unless you are re-encoding the audio.
    As I understand it the "Soprano" series was AC3 5.1 audio.
    If your capture setup allows you to capture it that way,
    TMPGEnc DVD Author can author it, without re-encoding,
    even without the AC3 plug-in ( you just won't hear the sound
    while you edit, but it will be there after you output the file.)

    It should be taking you <15min. You must be doing something
    wrong.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, May 19, 2004