    Mark Ferrante
    Click here eveyday to feed a rescued animal:

    http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
    M. FERRANTE, Jun 25, 2005

  2. M. FERRANTE

    [BnH] Guest

    What is lacking in Irfanview ?
    Its a fast image viewer that does it job very well .. much better than the
    bloated ACDsee imho.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jun 25, 2005

  3. M. FERRANTE

    KennyJr Guest

    In article <42bcb58d$0$24352$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
    01.iinet.net.au>, "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> says...
    > What is lacking in Irfanview ?
    > Its a fast image viewer that does it job very well .. much better than the
    > bloated ACDsee imho.
    >
    > =bob=

    The latest version of ACDSee is pretty good. It has a number of very
    useful features. I like the batch renaming and now that they added
    levels adjustment I seldom ever use Photoshoo Elements. The contact
    sheet printing is pretty useful as well.

    KennyJr, Jun 25, 2005
  4. M. FERRANTE

    [BnH] Guest

    "KennyJr" <> wrote in message
    > In article <42bcb58d$0$24352$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
    > 01.iinet.net.au>, "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> says...
    >> What is lacking in Irfanview ?
    >> Its a fast image viewer that does it job very well .. much better than
    >> the
    >> bloated ACDsee imho.
    >>
    >> =bob=

    > The latest version of ACDSee is pretty good. It has a number of very
    > useful features. I like the batch renaming and now that they added
    > levels adjustment I seldom ever use Photoshoo Elements. The contact
    > sheet printing is pretty useful as well.

    Availiable as well in iV.
    [BnH], Jun 25, 2005
  5. M. FERRANTE

    jean Guest

    "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> a écrit dans le message de

    > "KennyJr" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <42bcb58d$0$24352$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
    > > 01.iinet.net.au>, "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> says...
    > >> What is lacking in Irfanview ?
    > >> Its a fast image viewer that does it job very well .. much better than
    > >> the
    > >> bloated ACDsee imho.
    > >>
    > >> =bob=

    > > The latest version of ACDSee is pretty good. It has a number of very
    > > useful features. I like the batch renaming and now that they added
    > > levels adjustment I seldom ever use Photoshoo Elements. The contact
    > > sheet printing is pretty useful as well.

    > Availiable as well in iV.

    Seconded, I have yet to see anything better or faster than Irfanview.

    Jean
    jean, Jun 25, 2005
  6. M. FERRANTE

    Guest

    I like XNView (www.xnview.org), it's small, free, doesn't do alot, but
    you can brighten pictures and such if you want. I don't use it for
    picture editing, but I have it as my default jpeg viewer, so when I
    double-click on a jpeg file it opens quick...photoshop does not open
    quick on my computer..

    Good Luck..
    -Mark
    , Jun 25, 2005
  7. M. FERRANTE

    Scott W Guest

    [BnH] wrote:
    > What is lacking in Irfanview ?
    > Its a fast image viewer that does it job very well .. much better than the
    > bloated ACDsee imho.
    >
    > =bob=
    >
    > "M. FERRANTE" <> wrote in message
    > > Can someone suggest a software program, hopefully free, that is good
    > > for viewing pics (maybe even some tools with it) on the computer. I am
    > > using Irfanview right now, but was thinking there may be something
    > > better.

    I have both Irfanview and ACDSee, for viewing I like ACDSee better. You
    might take note that Sport Illustrated uses ACDSee, or at least they
    were a year ago or so.

    Scott
    Scott W, Jun 25, 2005
  8. M. FERRANTE

    Ron Hunter Guest

    M. FERRANTE wrote:
    > Can someone suggest a software program, hopefully free, that is good
    > for viewing pics (maybe even some tools with it) on the computer. I am
    > using Irfanview right now, but was thinking there may be something
    > better.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Mark Ferrante
    > Click here eveyday to feed a rescued animal:
    >
    > http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

    NOT!
    You might also like the Faststone Image Viewer.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jun 25, 2005
  9. M. FERRANTE

    Ron Hunter Guest

    KennyJr wrote:
    > In article <42bcb58d$0$24352$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
    > 01.iinet.net.au>, "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> says...
    >
    >>What is lacking in Irfanview ?
    >>Its a fast image viewer that does it job very well .. much better than the
    >>bloated ACDsee imho.
    >>
    >>=bob=

    > The latest version of ACDSee is pretty good. It has a number of very
    > useful features. I like the batch renaming and now that they added
    > levels adjustment I seldom ever use Photoshoo Elements. The contact
    > sheet printing is pretty useful as well.

    Yes, but ACDSee costs almost as much as Photoshop Elements, and doesn't
    do anything NEAR as much.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jun 25, 2005
  10. M. FERRANTE

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > [BnH] wrote:
    >
    >>What is lacking in Irfanview ?
    >>Its a fast image viewer that does it job very well .. much better than the
    >>bloated ACDsee imho.
    >>
    >>=bob=
    >>
    >>"M. FERRANTE" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Can someone suggest a software program, hopefully free, that is good
    >>>for viewing pics (maybe even some tools with it) on the computer. I am
    >>>using Irfanview right now, but was thinking there may be something
    >>>better.

    > I have both Irfanview and ACDSee, for viewing I like ACDSee better. You
    > might take note that Sport Illustrated uses ACDSee, or at least they
    > were a year ago or so.
    >
    > Scott

    And comparing the cost???
    Irfanview can't be beat for the price (free).

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jun 25, 2005
  11. M. FERRANTE

    Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > I like XNView (www.xnview.org), it's small, free, doesn't do alot, but
    > you can brighten pictures and such if you want. I don't use it for
    > picture editing, but I have it as my default jpeg viewer, so when I
    > double-click on a jpeg file it opens quick...photoshop does not open
    > quick on my computer..
    >
    > Good Luck..
    > -Mark

    For fast, and easy, try V. Allen's 'Jpegger'. You can put it on a
    jumpdrive with the pictures and have your familiar viewer with the pictures.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jun 25, 2005
  12. M. FERRANTE

    Scott W Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Scott W wrote:
    > > [BnH] wrote:
    > >
    > >>What is lacking in Irfanview ?
    > >>Its a fast image viewer that does it job very well .. much better than the
    > >>bloated ACDsee imho.
    > >>
    > >>=bob=
    > >>
    > >>"M. FERRANTE" <> wrote in message

    > > I have both Irfanview and ACDSee, for viewing I like ACDSee better. You
    > > might take note that Sport Illustrated uses ACDSee, or at least they
    > > were a year ago or so.
    > >
    > > Scott
    > >

    > And comparing the cost???
    > Irfanview can't be beat for the price (free).

    The cost of ACDSee for me was not an issue, it helps me view my photos
    and $50 is a small price to pay for that. You can try it free for 30
    days, and see if it is worth it. I also use it to organize my photos
    and I find it does a very good job at that. It might not be for
    everyone but it is worth a look.

    I use Irfanview for bactch resizing and renaming, which it does very
    well at.

    Scott
    Scott W, Jun 25, 2005
  13. M. FERRANTE <> writes:

    > Can someone suggest a software program, hopefully free, that is good
    > for viewing pics (maybe even some tools with it) on the computer. I am
    > using Irfanview right now, but was thinking there may be something
    > better.

    Nope, there's nothing better.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 25, 2005
  14. M. FERRANTE

    Rick Guest

    "M. FERRANTE" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Can someone suggest a software program, hopefully free, that is good
    > for viewing pics (maybe even some tools with it) on the computer. I am
    > using Irfanview right now, but was thinking there may be something
    > better.

    I like Canon's ZoomBrowser, although if you're dealing with
    many thousands of images it's not the best choice -- thumbnail
    generation can take forever.
    Rick, Jun 25, 2005
  15. M. FERRANTE

    Guest

    I have the newer version of ACDSee, and I don't like them - but go
    back to ACDSee classic - version 2.43, and I love it.

    Scott
    , Jun 26, 2005
  16. M. FERRANTE

    DHB Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:30:10 -0700, wrote:

    >I have the newer version of ACDSee, and I don't like them - but go
    >back to ACDSee classic - version 2.43, and I love it.
    >
    >Scott

    Scott,
    Same here, I have both ACDSee 6 & ACDSee Classic installed on
    my PC. Classic is the default viewer & it's extremely fast, simple &
    basic. Version 6 I use to evaluate (view pictures & display EXIF meta
    DATA), organize my pictures & do only the most basic editing, such as
    resize photos for E-mailing.

    ACDSee Classic was reintroduced by user demand for this very
    reason, it's a small, extremely fast, basic picture viewer that works
    well even on older slower systems.

    Respectfully, DHB

    ..
    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    DHB, Jun 26, 2005
  17. M. FERRANTE

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    M. FERRANTE <> writes:

    > Can someone suggest a software program, hopefully free, that is good
    > for viewing pics (maybe even some tools with it) on the computer. I am
    > using Irfanview right now, but was thinking there may be something
    > better.

    For me, gthumb on Linux works great. I dont' know if there's a Windows
    version, though.

    --

    http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
    photos for your family or group.
    Bruce Lewis, Jun 27, 2005
  18. M. FERRANTE

    Guest

    For just a little bit more you can use 1 program that does all that you
    are talking about above - batch resize, renaming and also a viewer with
    basic image editing - PentaSuite DigiPhoto costs like $65 and is well
    worth the money. www.pentazip.com

    --Lyndi
    , Jun 28, 2005
  19. M. FERRANTE

    ecm Guest

    M. FERRANTE wrote:
    > Can someone suggest a software program, hopefully free, that is good
    > for viewing pics (maybe even some tools with it) on the computer. I am
    > using Irfanview right now, but was thinking there may be something
    > better.

    Well, no-one's mentioned it, so I will - try Picasa 2.0 - it's a free
    program from Google:

    http://www.picasa.com/index.php?tid=Y2NpZD0zNzQ4

    It'll automate picture download and albums, and it's got some useful
    tools for basic image manipulation - often it's all I need to spruce up
    my snapshots for printing. I can right-click on the photo and open it
    with GIMP for Windows or Irfanview if I need any more sophisticated
    tools.

    A lot of people have complained about album naming and so forth but it
    works well with my personal system - adapted from ACDSee - of naming
    each picture download directory with the date and time (eg. "2005-06-28
    0906am"). Others have insinuated it's spyware, but it just checks home
    when you start it to see if there's updates available; it's trivial to
    block this with Zonealarm.

    ECM
    ecm, Jun 28, 2005