    images would link and download from my website. Just need a good email
    program to send them out on. Anyone recommend one?
    TIA
    max, Oct 20, 2003

  2. max

    T.N.O. Guest

    "max" wrote
    > Anyone know of any good software that makes it easy to send out HTML
    > newletters.

    Ideally, dont do it at all... If you really have to, any plain old html
    editor will do, just copy the code, paste it into your mail client, and it
    *should* just work... send some emails to a test account first, and check it
    with a few different email clients. Remember that a lot of technically
    literate people disable viewing of html in their email clients, and most if
    they do allow html will have remote image retrieval disabled.
    T.N.O., Oct 20, 2003

  3. max

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <bmv7tb$n3vn6$-berlin.de>,
    "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    > "max" wrote
    > > Anyone know of any good software that makes it easy to send out HTML
    > > newletters.

    > Ideally, dont do it at all...

    I have to agree with T.N.O - please have a long hard think about what it
    is you are trying to do. HTML email is evil and it doesn't always
    reflect well yourself or your company. Have a think about a plain text
    version, this is far more user friendly for your recipients.

    Here are a couple of links on the subject:
    http://www.html-faq.com/email/?htmlemail

    Did you want a peice of software that would manage your subscribers for
    you as well? Let them unsubscribe or subscribe, etc? What was the
    purpose of the emails anyway? Company newsletter or something?

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Oct 20, 2003
  4. max

    max Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:44:44 +1300, madknoxie
    <> wrote:

    >In article <bmv7tb$n3vn6$-berlin.de>,
    > "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >
    >> "max" wrote
    >> > Anyone know of any good software that makes it easy to send out HTML
    >> > newletters.

    >> Ideally, dont do it at all...

    >I have to agree with T.N.O - please have a long hard think about what it
    >is you are trying to do. HTML email is evil and it doesn't always
    >reflect well yourself or your company. Have a think about a plain text
    >version, this is far more user friendly for your recipients.
    >
    >Here are a couple of links on the subject:
    >http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml
    >http://www.html-faq.com/email/?htmlemail
    >
    >Did you want a peice of software that would manage your subscribers for
    >you as well? Let them unsubscribe or subscribe, etc? What was the
    >purpose of the emails anyway? Company newsletter or something?

    I agree too, but my client wants to use it as it allows people to
    instantly see images of products. I did get recommended roving.com,
    which is a management system, which looks quite good, and may be an
    option for them.
    max, Oct 20, 2003
  5. max

    pbs Guest

    max wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:44:44 +1300, madknoxie
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>In article <bmv7tb$n3vn6$-berlin.de>,
    >>"T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"max" wrote

    >>>Ideally, dont do it at all...

    >>I have to agree with T.N.O - please have a long hard think about what it
    >>is you are trying to do. HTML email is evil and it doesn't always
    >>reflect well yourself or your company. Have a think about a plain text
    >>version, this is far more user friendly for your recipients.
    >>
    >>Here are a couple of links on the subject:
    >>http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml
    >>http://www.html-faq.com/email/?htmlemail
    >>
    >>Did you want a peice of software that would manage your subscribers for
    >>you as well? Let them unsubscribe or subscribe, etc? What was the
    >>purpose of the emails anyway? Company newsletter or something?

    > I agree too, but my client wants to use it as it allows people to
    > instantly see images of products. I did get recommended roving.com,
    > which is a management system, which looks quite good, and may be an
    > option for them.

    Why not send a text email message with an URL link to a web page.
    You should be able to sell this idea to your client:
    * The receivers of the email are far less likely to take offence of a
    one paragraph email with a URL than a large HTML page with graphics.
    * The web servers can record detail of who has been to the website.
    This is of far more use as a marketing tool than sending unsolicited
    emails, which may or may not get a positive response. You can even
    send them to a page for a specific user's email. EG if email is sent
    to . can have a URL in it which directs them
    to www.myaddress.co.nz/JS so you know it was John Smith who visited
    you and not just a machine/IP address. This also allows you to tailor
    your pages to specific customers.
    * The web page can be updated real time . Something emails can not do.
    For example if you were selling ice-cream and contrary to the forecast
    it is a rainy month then you can change the price offered at any time.
    pbs, Oct 20, 2003
  6. max

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    max <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:44:44 +1300, madknoxie
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <bmv7tb$n3vn6$-berlin.de>,
    > > "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "max" wrote
    > >>
    > >> Ideally, dont do it at all...

    > >I have to agree with T.N.O - please have a long hard think about what it
    > >is you are trying to do. HTML email is evil and it doesn't always
    > >reflect well yourself or your company. Have a think about a plain text
    > >version, this is far more user friendly for your recipients.
    > >
    > >Here are a couple of links on the subject:
    > >http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml
    > >http://www.html-faq.com/email/?htmlemail
    > >
    > >Did you want a peice of software that would manage your subscribers for
    > >you as well? Let them unsubscribe or subscribe, etc? What was the
    > >purpose of the emails anyway? Company newsletter or something?

    > I agree too, but my client wants to use it as it allows people to
    > instantly see images of products. I did get recommended roving.com,
    > which is a management system, which looks quite good, and may be an
    > option for them.

    Hmmm, if you wanted to save them some dosh find an open source
    alternative and customise it for them. Bound to be a couple here:
    http://www.hotscripts.com/

    There is one we've used for a couple of clients, if I can remember what
    it was I'll post it back here.

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Oct 20, 2003
  7. max

    Paul Mathews Guest

    <> wrote:

    >In article <bmv7tb$n3vn6$-berlin.de>,
    > "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >
    >> "max" wrote
    >> > Anyone know of any good software that makes it easy to send out HTML
    >> > newletters.

    >> Ideally, dont do it at all...

    >I have to agree with T.N.O - please have a long hard think about what it
    >is you are trying to do. HTML email is evil and it doesn't always
    >reflect well yourself or your company. Have a think about a plain text
    >version, this is far more user friendly for your recipients.
    >
    >Here are a couple of links on the subject:
    >http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml
    >http://www.html-faq.com/email/?htmlemail
    >
    >Did you want a peice of software that would manage your subscribers for
    >you as well? Let them unsubscribe or subscribe, etc? What was the
    >purpose of the emails anyway? Company newsletter or something?

    I thought that HTML e-mails were illegal, well I delete all I get and never
    ever read them as Agent does not support HTML.

    Plain text is the standard for e-mails..

    Blame MS for this stupidity as it set on by default in Outlook.
    Paul Mathews, Oct 20, 2003
  8. max

    S.C. Guest

    max wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:44:44 +1300, madknoxie
    > <> wrote:

    > I agree too, but my client wants to use it as it allows people to
    > instantly see images of products.

    Make a PDF.
    S.C., Oct 20, 2003
  9. max

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Mathews <> wrote:

    > I thought that HTML e-mails were illegal, well I delete all I get and never
    > ever read them as Agent does not support HTML.

    Illegal in what sense?

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Oct 20, 2003
  10. max

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:46:24 +1300, max <>
    wrote:

    >Anyone know of any good software that makes it easy to send out HTML
    >newletters. I plan to create the code in Dreamweaver, and all the
    >images would link and download from my website. Just need a good email
    >program to send them out on. Anyone recommend one?
    >TIA

    You have to look at your recipients and what clients they are using to
    recieve your HTML newsletter.

    If you could confirm that they're all using Outlook Express then you
    can use that.

    A plain text covering email offering them the link to your site would
    be my suggestion.

    Something like this one

    To view Legacy News in HTML FORMAT please click here:
    http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Newsletter/LN10-14-2003.asp

    Cheers, Kooky
    Kookaburra, Oct 20, 2003
  11. max

    T.N.O. Guest

    "madknoxie" wrote
    > > I thought that HTML e-mails were illegal, well I delete all I get and

    never
    > > ever read them as Agent does not support HTML.

    > Illegal in what sense?

    Illegal in "Roger's Sense", kinda like the twilight zone.
    T.N.O., Oct 20, 2003
  12. Paul Mathews wrote:

    > I thought that HTML e-mails were illegal, well I delete all I get and never
    > ever read them as Agent does not support HTML.
    >
    > Plain text is the standard for e-mails..
    >
    > Blame MS for this stupidity as it set on by default in Outlook.

    Ever since mime came along any format is fine for emails. You can send a PDF as
    an email if you like. All that happens is any html attached file is rendered
    instead of the text one in mail programs that support it. In ones that dont or
    people choose not to see them they will get the text attachment.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Oct 20, 2003
  13. max

    KS Guest

    max wrote:
    > Anyone know of any good software that makes it easy to send out HTML
    > newletters. I plan to create the code in Dreamweaver, and all the
    > images would link and download from my website. Just need a good email
    > program to send them out on. Anyone recommend one?

    Can thoroughly recommend G-Lock EasyMail for exactly that.

    http://www.glocksoft.com/?source=EasyMail

    Maintains easy lists, with simple merge functions for name, email, date, etc
    to personalise the newsletter. The best thing I like about it is the auto
    display of an email address. Put the email addy into the display column, and
    it'll automatically jump to that name (if it's in the database).

    One of my clients wanted the same thing for a html newsletter for their
    subscribers - and this pgm is a beaut.

    I compose the newsletter under Dreamweaver, code it to point to images on
    their server, then simply copy and paste the code across. The weekly
    newsletter is then created as a template, so any new subscribers can be
    added simply. And the unsubscribe template just sits there.

    It also can send a plain text version of the newsletter to those clients who
    chose not to recieve html, or use email pgms that aren't mime compatible.

    Good luck.
    KS, Oct 20, 2003