Software for burning a DVD region free on Windows system

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by DVDfanatico, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico Guest

    Hi.

    I have a Sony VGN-A190 laptop that has a DVD burner. My aunt gave me a
    DVD from GB that is region 2. Is there any software, especially free,
    that can be used to burn a copy of it region free so I can send it back
    to her and she can play it on here American DVD player?

    Also, it doen't say whether there is copyright protection on the DVD
    like some DVDs have.

    Is there a good or free DVD copying software that can choose region 1
    instead of 2 and not burn the copyright protection if there is any?

    Thanks for any help, advice

    DVDfanatico
    www.KnightLanguages.com
    The Foreign Language Supersite, including Bibles, Masses, Holy Rosaries
    and Prayers

    DVDfanatico, Jan 27, 2006

  2. DVDfanatico

    selaboc Guest

    DVDfanatico wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I have a Sony VGN-A190 laptop that has a DVD burner. My aunt gave me a
    > DVD from GB that is region 2. Is there any software, especially free,
    > that can be used to burn a copy of it region free so I can send it back
    > to her and she can play it on here American DVD player?
    >
    > Also, it doen't say whether there is copyright protection on the DVD
    > like some DVDs have.
    >
    > Is there a good or free DVD copying software that can choose region 1
    > instead of 2 and not burn the copyright protection if there is any?
    >
    > Thanks for any help, advice

    putting aside the illegality of what you are asking for a moment, most
    of the DVD copying programs out there probably can strip off the region
    coding. Your bigger problem will be that the Region 2 DVD from Great
    Britian is encoded for PAL playback and your Aunt's American DVD Player
    might not be able to play PAL encoded material (whereas, most DVD
    players in GB can handle both PAL and NTSC material, that is not the
    case for many American DVD players which can only handle NTSC
    material). So to be sure your aunt can play it, you would need to not
    only strip off the region coding, but you need to reencode it for NTSC
    playback.

    selaboc, Jan 27, 2006

  3. On 27 Jan 2006 06:04:17 -0800, "selaboc" <> wrote:

    >DVDfanatico wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I have a Sony VGN-A190 laptop that has a DVD burner. My aunt gave me a
    >> DVD from GB that is region 2. Is there any software, especially free,
    >> that can be used to burn a copy of it region free so I can send it back
    >> to her and she can play it on here American DVD player?
    >>
    >> Also, it doen't say whether there is copyright protection on the DVD
    >> like some DVDs have.
    >>
    >> Is there a good or free DVD copying software that can choose region 1
    >> instead of 2 and not burn the copyright protection if there is any?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help, advice

    >putting aside the illegality of what you are asking for a moment, most
    >of the DVD copying programs out there probably can strip off the region
    >coding. Your bigger problem will be that the Region 2 DVD from Great
    >Britian is encoded for PAL playback and your Aunt's American DVD Player
    >might not be able to play PAL encoded material (whereas, most DVD
    >players in GB can handle both PAL and NTSC material, that is not the
    >case for many American DVD players which can only handle NTSC
    >material). So to be sure your aunt can play it, you would need to not
    >only strip off the region coding, but you need to reencode it for NTSC
    >playback.

    I've yet to find a cheap American-bought DVD player that doesn't also
    play PAL, - BEFORE hacking. And most have a hack available to allow
    Region 2 playback anyway. http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jan 28, 2006
  4. DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico Guest

    I wasn't sure if there was a acomputer program that can burn a PAL disc
    as NTSC. I found a way to burn the disc with my Panasonic
    VCR-DVD-Recorder by hooking up my CyberHome portable DVD player to it.
    Most cyberhomes can be made region free with remote control hacks.

    It worked great I just can't program it to have menus, etc.

    Thanks to everyone for your input.

    DVDfanatico, Jan 29, 2006
  5. DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico Guest

    One more note. The DVD I received probably didn't have copy protection,
    which is why it recorded so well. There are probably some DVD players
    or devices on EBay that can override copy protection. The Philips 642
    used to be region free and macrovision free but now its just region
    free. Its a very mutli-region player.

    DVDfanatico, Jan 29, 2006
  6. In article <>,
    DVDfanatico <> wrote:
    >One more note. The DVD I received probably didn't have copy protection,
    >which is why it recorded so well. There are probably some DVD players
    >or devices on EBay that can override copy protection. The Philips 642
    >used to be region free and macrovision free but now its just region
    >free. Its a very mutli-region player.

    Just curious. If you know when did the 642 turn from being
    Macrovision free?

    How would you tell? Serial number? Some other ID on the machine?

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Feb 13, 2006