    3. What does a NAT router block?

    Thank you,

    Bob

    K2NNJ, Dec 15, 2003

  2. K2NNJ

    ClareOldie Guest

    K2NNJ wrote:
    > I am currently running NPF 2003 on a Dell XP machine. When I run the
    > sygate security test I get all ports blocked. When I run a NAT
    > router(Linksys BFSR41) without the FW ports 80 and 113 are open. If
    > I run the FW and the router I get the same results. Ports 80 and 113
    > are open.
    >
    > I have a couple of questions.
    >
    > 1. What should I run?
    > 2. Can I be attacked on ports 80 and 113?
    > 3. What does a NAT router block?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Bob

    With the router connected the site is testing the Router not your pc.
    Without the router its your pc that is being tested.
    I would run both and also look at configuring the router to show all ports
    blocked.
    When using both anything that has slipped by the router is caught by the
    firewall. The firewall also gives application control on outbound traffic.
    Seán

    ClareOldie, Dec 15, 2003

  3. K2NNJ

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:16:51 -0000, "ClareOldie"
    <> wrote:

    >K2NNJ wrote:
    >> I am currently running NPF 2003 on a Dell XP machine. When I run the
    >> sygate security test I get all ports blocked. When I run a NAT
    >> router(Linksys BFSR41) without the FW ports 80 and 113 are open. If
    >> I run the FW and the router I get the same results. Ports 80 and 113
    >> are open.
    >>
    >> I have a couple of questions.
    >>
    >> 1. What should I run?
    >> 2. Can I be attacked on ports 80 and 113?
    >> 3. What does a NAT router block?
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >>
    >> Bob

    >With the router connected the site is testing the Router not your pc.
    >Without the router its your pc that is being tested.
    >I would run both and also look at configuring the router to show all ports
    >blocked.
    >When using both anything that has slipped by the router is caught by the
    >firewall. The firewall also gives application control on outbound traffic.
    >Seán

    Yes, you certainly need BOTH
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Dec 15, 2003
  4. K2NNJ

    K2NNJ Guest

    Thanks for the help

    K2NNJ, Dec 15, 2003
  5. "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:16:51 -0000, "ClareOldie"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >K2NNJ wrote:
    > >> I am currently running NPF 2003 on a Dell XP machine. When I run the
    > >> sygate security test I get all ports blocked. When I run a NAT
    > >> router(Linksys BFSR41) without the FW ports 80 and 113 are open. If
    > >> I run the FW and the router I get the same results. Ports 80 and 113
    > >> are open.
    > >>
    > >> I have a couple of questions.
    > >>
    > >> 1. What should I run?
    > >> 2. Can I be attacked on ports 80 and 113?
    > >> 3. What does a NAT router block?

    > >With the router connected the site is testing the Router not your pc.
    > >Without the router its your pc that is being tested.
    > >I would run both and also look at configuring the router to show all

    ports
    > >blocked.
    > >When using both anything that has slipped by the router is caught by the
    > >firewall. The firewall also gives application control on outbound

    traffic.

    > Yes, you certainly need BOTH

    A commonly-stated bit of "wisdom".

    Why?

    Taking the example of breaking-and-entering on a house, what benefit do
    interior door bolts do, given that the burglar is inside the hose, with a
    complete set of keys?

    OK, so a decent IDS system (e.g. large, hungry rottweiler) can make a big
    impression.

    But how many people /really/ use them? (I can almost count them on the
    fingers of one knee.. ;o)

    Not to say that a SPFW isn't a way to justify (to yourself) that last
    processor and/or memory upgrade..

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Dec 15, 2003
  6. K2NNJ

    David Norris Guest

    "K2NNJ" <> wrote in message
    > I am currently running NPF 2003 on a Dell XP machine. When I run the

    sygate
    > security test I get all ports blocked. When I run a NAT router(Linksys
    > BFSR41) without the FW ports 80 and 113 are open. If I run the FW and the
    > router I get the same results. Ports 80 and 113 are open.
    >
    > I have a couple of questions.
    >
    > 1. What should I run?
    > 2. Can I be attacked on ports 80 and 113?
    > 3. What does a NAT router block?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Bob

    Remember, with the router, your PC is hidden from the Internet. The open
    ports on the router, which are visible, are likely to be an admin webserver
    on the router, on port 80, which allows you to configure the router remotely
    over the Internet (make sure you put a password on this to prevent
    tampering!), and on port 113 you have Ident, a service which tells any
    mailservers, for example, what's connecting to them. Some services may
    respond slowly without Ident present, so the router provides this as a
    courtesy. It's not anything to worry about. Also, look at the configuration
    of the router, make sure that the DMZ is disabled, and enable the built-in
    firewall if you want to be safest. See the manual.

    Do remember, that the software firewall does have the ability to monitor
    outgoing connections, whereas the router doesn't. But the router has other
    advantages.

    I have some more information available about these things here:
    http://80.4.4.163/ebooks/ebooks.htm

    David Norris, Dec 16, 2003