  1. This may not be a very bright question, so please excuse me :)

    Does regular windows software run on 64 bit systems?
    Is drivers the only thing I need to check for before upgrading to a 64 system?
    =?Utf-8?B?VmljdG9y?=, May 13, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VmljdG9y?=

    Rick Guest

    Victor wrote:
    > This may not be a very bright question, so please excuse me :)
    >
    > Does regular windows software run on 64 bit systems?
    > Is drivers the only thing I need to check for before upgrading to a 64 system?

    Yes, if you're referring to an AMD64 or Intel EM64T CPU. They are both
    fully 32-bit compatible and will run 32-bit operating systems and
    software in their 32-bit mode.

    Intel Itanium is another story with a completely different architecture.
    Rick, May 13, 2005

  3. The vast majority of 32-bit programs run very well on x64 based systems.
    There are some 32-bit programs that use a 16bit installer that will not
    install. And older, 16-bit and MS-DOS programs will not run. Also, if your
    32-bit program uses a kernel level driver, you will need an update that
    includes a 64-bit driver. And, as you already know, you need 64-bit drivers
    for your hardware.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 13, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VmljdG9y?=

    Dennis Guest

    Just try what you have, I have DISKEEPER V9 and that does not run and when
    contacting the software house I was told it would only run on SERVER 64.
    They said they MAY be updating latter but not sure as yet. I would guess
    that this is the case with LOTS of software.

    Dennis

    Dennis, May 13, 2005
  5. Drivers MUST be 64bit, other than that a lot of 32bit software runs just
    fine.

    Keep in mind that things like antivirus and software firewalls typically
    install a driver, so you would need to ensure that the version you are
    using is 64bit as well.
    Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 13, 2005
  6. Covered by what I wrote -- diskeeper uses a driver, and the driver needs to
    be 64-bit. My preferred defragmenting tool is Perfect Disk, and it currently
    doesn't have a 64-bit driver either. But I'm told they are working on it, and
    I'm hopeful.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 13, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?VmljdG9y?=

    Randy Guest

    Charlie,

    Does Win XP or Server 2003 x64 have a defragger built-in, and if so, how
    good is it? If MS stayed with Executive Software's basic program, wouldn't
    that mean chances are good that Executive will have a ful 64-bit program out
    soon?

    Why do you prefer Perfect Disk? Who makes it?

    Randy, May 14, 2005
  8. Yes, the x64 Editions include a basic defrag utility. Why PerfectDisk? Well,
    I can remotely defrag drives, I like the way it does file placement, and I
    have options to defrag from the next bootup, getting at things that are
    locked once it's up. Perfect Disk is from Raxco, and I've had very good
    success with it.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 14, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?VmljdG9y?=

    Rick Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    > Yes, the x64 Editions include a basic defrag utility. Why PerfectDisk? Well,
    > I can remotely defrag drives, I like the way it does file placement, and I
    > have options to defrag from the next bootup, getting at things that are
    > locked once it's up. Perfect Disk is from Raxco, and I've had very good
    > success with it.

    DisKeeper has both remote defrag and boot time defrag.
    Rick, May 14, 2005
  10. I think the built in Defragment utility in Windows XP is based on Disk
    keepers own app, just like CD Burning Wizard software in XP is licensed from
    Roxio.
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 15, 2005
  11. yes, I'm sure that's true. I used diskeeper for several years. I switched to
    PerfectDisk and won't be going back.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 15, 2005
  12. actually, I think it's based on O&O's product, but that was a LONG time ago.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 15, 2005
  13. No, I believe that Andre is correct. The included defragger is descended
    from an earlier version of Diskeeper Home.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 5, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?VmljdG9y?=

    DKI Guest

    The basic disk defragger in XP is from execsoft (who make diskeeper) and
    microsoft if you look in the properites.

    DKI, Jul 5, 2005