software bundled with cam.. no good?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by un Edge, Nov 28, 2004.

  1. un Edge

    un Edge Guest

    I am wondering if anyone else have had such an experience. Perhaps
    attention will be brought and save other people's time. For nearly 2
    years, I have used the bundled software (Camedia Master 2.5) that came
    with the Oly C-3020 to do the most basic of things.. rotate JPEGs. I
    do very little post processing of my photos and I assumed rotating the
    image is a fundamental task standardized and LOSSLESS.. I am wrong. At
    first, I thought that vertical images take up less space simply due to a
    JPEG compression side effect. I came to realize that the bundled
    software cannot be trusted to even rotate JPEGs.

    So to caution novices unaware of this.. check to see if the software you
    use are lossless or not. Can anyone provide info on which manufacture's
    bundled software has this "flaw" ? I hope it is just the older
    generation of cameras/bundles that do this.. since I think it is
    unacceptable.

    --
    Jose Ng - un@gehennom | IBM
    I Blame Microsoft. Specially for those who find it difficult to accept

    un Edge, Nov 28, 2004

  2. JPEG is lossy.

    Michael A. Covington, Nov 28, 2004

  3. un Edge

    un Edge Guest

    Michael A. Covington <> wrote:
    < JPEG is lossy.
    <

    I realize that JPEG is not the ideal format, but it suits well for
    viewing and small prints. The problem with loss in rotation is that
    there are widely available applications that have "lossless" JPEG
    rotation. It's also easier to work with smaller files (JPEG vs TIFF)
    since they do write to camera memory faster, and saves time uploading
    online, especially for slower connections or connections with slow
    upload speed.

    --
    Jose Ng - un@gehennom | NB
    No Bullshit. Forget the boring Latin version, this is what it really

    un Edge, Dec 1, 2004
  4. un Edge

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:12:43 -0500, "Michael A. Covington"
    <> wrote:

    >JPEG is lossy.

    There are a bunch of ways to do lossless rotation of JPEG images.
    Google for "lossless jpeg rotation" (sans quotes) to find some.
    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Dec 1, 2004