    ZoneAlarm. Are there others I should be considering?

    Any recommendations would be welcomed.

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Sep 1, 2004

  2. Tony Raven

    Brian Guest

    Tony Raven wrote :
    > I'm pretty pleased with my switch to TB/FF and also picked up advice
    > here that led me to NVu which has now replaced my Dreamweaver for web
    > authoring. Interested to continue the trend and looking for similar
    > recommendations for good antivirus and firewall software to replace
    > Norton that has come to the end of its update subscription. So far
    > tried AVG (AV seems good but firewall was crap) and the good old
    > ZoneAlarm. Are there others I should be considering?
    >
    > Any recommendations would be welcomed.
    >
    > Tony

    Have you looked at Sygate and Kerio for firewall? Always have the Zone
    Alarm solution... but I don't like that one. You can download a free
    personal version of Sygate.

    --
    Brian

    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
    Brian, Sep 1, 2004

  3. Tony Raven wrote:
    > I'm pretty pleased with my switch to TB/FF and also picked up advice
    > here that led me to NVu which has now replaced my Dreamweaver for web
    > authoring. Interested to continue the trend and looking for similar
    > recommendations for good antivirus and firewall software to replace
    > Norton that has come to the end of its update subscription. So far
    > tried AVG (AV seems good but firewall was crap) and the good old
    > ZoneAlarm. Are there others I should be considering?
    >
    > Any recommendations would be welcomed.

    I heartily recommend dumping Norton. They've really screwed it up in the
    last couple of years.

    AV : Avast! (www.avast.com). AVG's OK, though, except that it caused me
    a couple of peculiar problems, which is the only reason I dumped it.

    Firewall : I used ZoneAlarm for well over a year, but became
    disillusioned when v5 turned out to be a complete turkey. I've just
    started using Sygate Personal Firewall (also free), and it seems to do
    the business - much more "tweakable" than ZoneAlarm's free version.

    --
    Regards

    Nigel Stapley

    www.judgemental.plus.com

    <reply-to will bounce>
    Nigel Stapley, Sep 1, 2004
  4. Tony Raven

    Brian Guest

    OT: Ping Tony: NVu (was: Re: Software advice)

    Tony Raven wrote :
    > I'm pretty pleased with my switch to TB/FF and also picked up advice
    > here that led me to NVu which has now replaced my Dreamweaver for web
    > authoring. Interested to continue the trend and looking for similar
    > recommendations for good antivirus and firewall software to replace
    > Norton that has come to the end of its update subscription. So far
    > tried AVG (AV seems good but firewall was crap) and the good old
    > ZoneAlarm. Are there others I should be considering?
    >
    > Any recommendations would be welcomed.

    How well do you like NVu compared to Dreamweaver? I use DW all the
    time, but that program looks interesting. I'm sure its not as powerful
    as DW, but I really don't use all those features anyway... and NVu's
    price is much nicer ;-)

    I'll probably d/l it and try it before you reply ;-)

    Brian, Sep 1, 2004
  5. Re: OT: Ping Tony: NVu

    Hello

    on 02/Sep/04 00:42 Brian wrote:
    > I'll probably d/l it and try it before you reply ;-)

    Just tried it and it lacks what is for me the best feature in DW, the
    synchronisation between local and remote sites.

    Nicolas
    --
    Ad Noiseam
    www.adnoiseam.net
    Nicolas Chevreux, Sep 2, 2004
  6. Tony Raven

    Brian Guest

    Re: OT: Ping Tony: NVu

    Nicolas Chevreux wrote :
    > Hello
    >
    > on 02/Sep/04 00:42 Brian wrote:
    >
    >> I'll probably d/l it and try it before you reply ;-)

    > Just tried it and it lacks what is for me the best feature in DW, the
    > synchronisation between local and remote sites.
    >
    > Nicolas

    Hmm... I use that too :-\ Well, I'm still going to install it here in a
    minute and check it out. Trying to update Gentoo right now though.

    Brian, Sep 2, 2004
  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Re: OT: Ping Tony: NVu

    Nicolas Chevreux wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > on 02/Sep/04 00:42 Brian wrote:
    >
    >> I'll probably d/l it and try it before you reply ;-)

    > Just tried it and it lacks what is for me the best feature in DW, the
    > synchronisation between local and remote sites.
    >
    > Nicolas

    I agree that's missing. I ran into some problems with synchronisation
    in DW so I've always run a seperate FTP program so I can keep tabs on
    what is happening. I currently use SmartFTP which seems to be solid.

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Sep 2, 2004
  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote :
    >
    >> I'm pretty pleased with my switch to TB/FF and also picked up advice
    >> here that led me to NVu which has now replaced my Dreamweaver for web
    >> authoring. Interested to continue the trend and looking for similar
    >> recommendations for good antivirus and firewall software to replace
    >> Norton that has come to the end of its update subscription. So far
    >> tried AVG (AV seems good but firewall was crap) and the good old
    >> ZoneAlarm. Are there others I should be considering?
    >>
    >> Any recommendations would be welcomed.
    >>
    >> Tony

    > Have you looked at Sygate and Kerio for firewall? Always have the Zone
    > Alarm solution... but I don't like that one. You can download a free
    > personal version of Sygate.

    Tried Kerio - wasn't impressed. One of the machines is an old WinME
    laptop with a wireless card. Kerio couldn't cope. It would happily
    allow a wired connection to the network but blocked the wireless card
    even though it was set up identically and wouldn't autoload on startup.
    Norton and ZoneAlarm had no problems. Will have a look at Sygate.

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Sep 2, 2004
  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Re: OT: Ping Tony: NVu

    Brian wrote:

    > Tony Raven wrote :
    >
    >> I'm pretty pleased with my switch to TB/FF and also picked up advice
    >> here that led me to NVu which has now replaced my Dreamweaver for web
    >> authoring. Interested to continue the trend and looking for similar
    >> recommendations for good antivirus and firewall software to replace
    >> Norton that has come to the end of its update subscription. So far
    >> tried AVG (AV seems good but firewall was crap) and the good old
    >> ZoneAlarm. Are there others I should be considering?
    >>
    >> Any recommendations would be welcomed.

    > How well do you like NVu compared to Dreamweaver? I use DW all the
    > time, but that program looks interesting. I'm sure its not as powerful
    > as DW, but I really don't use all those features anyway... and NVu's
    > price is much nicer ;-)
    >
    > I'll probably d/l it and try it before you reply ;-)

    I like it a lot. Its much easier to use than DW and I've not found
    anything I couldn't do, although I admit my authoring sticks to fairly
    basic stuff.

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Sep 2, 2004
  10. Tony Raven

    John Toliver Guest

    I don't know how wise an idea but I use a double fire wall for a
    while. both of the free versions of Zone alarm version 3.7 I think it
    said and I also used sygate. They seemed to work well and they don't
    appear to conflict in their operation with each other although when I
    tried to install kerio I think it would not install unless I
    uninstalled either zone alarm or sygate or both. Hope it works.

    John Toliver, Sep 3, 2004
  11. Tony Raven

    Brian Guest

    Re: OT: Ping Tony: NVu

    Nicolas Chevreux wrote:
    > on 02/Sep/04 00:42 Brian wrote:
    >
    >> I'll probably d/l it and try it before you reply ;-)

    > Just tried it and it lacks what is for me the best feature in DW, the
    > synchronisation between local and remote sites.
    >
    > Nicolas

    Well I really tried giving NVu the benefit of the doubt. I forced
    myself to use if for a while, but... well, it just sucks. Granted it is
    a better program than what I could write, and it's cheaper than
    Dreamweaver... but it created too many headaches for me creating the
    simplest of pages. I'll edit pages in Notepad before I try NVu anymore!

    The CSS support in particular is a nightmare.

    --
    Brian
    Brian, Sep 7, 2004