Softphone troubles w/ Asterisk

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham Cox, Jun 24, 2005.

  1. Graham Cox

    Graham Cox Guest

    Hiya,

    I've only just started to play around with VOIP, and - in particular -
    asterisk on a Debian box I've got at home. So far, almost everything is
    working just fine with it as far as I can see - including being able to
    make phonecalls over it to freephone numbers in US and UK.

    The problem I have is with the device to use it with. Because I am only
    just getting started, I'm loathe to spend any real money on it just yet.
    As such, I figured that I would just use my XDA mobile phone as a
    softphone for the system rather than spend any money on hardphones /
    etc. Unfortunatly I've been less than successful on this to date.

    The only client that I've been able to find that is both free and known
    to work with Asterisk is SJPhone. I've got this working on my PC
    connecting to the Asterisk box perfectly, but I can't make it work from
    my XDA at all.

    I believe the problem is because the XDA connects to the PC over a
    Bluetooth ActiveSync connection - so it's technically on a different
    network to the Asterisk box and needs to go through the normal routing
    to get to it. However, I'm totally in the dark as to what can be done -
    if anything - to make this work.

    Alternatively to this, does anybody know of any other free SoftPhone
    software for XDA Pocket PCs that would work instead? I have been hunting
    through google, voip-info and asterisk forums but couldn't find anything
    apart from this one...

    Cheers
    --
    Graham

    Graham Cox, Jun 24, 2005

  2. Graham Cox

    Ian Guest

    "Graham Cox" <> wrote in message
    > Hiya,
    >
    > I've only just started to play around with VOIP, and - in particular -
    > asterisk on a Debian box I've got at home. So far, almost everything is
    > working just fine with it as far as I can see - including being able to
    > make phonecalls over it to freephone numbers in US and UK.
    >
    > The problem I have is with the device to use it with. Because I am only
    > just getting started, I'm loathe to spend any real money on it just yet.
    > As such, I figured that I would just use my XDA mobile phone as a
    > softphone for the system rather than spend any money on hardphones /
    > etc. Unfortunatly I've been less than successful on this to date.
    >
    > The only client that I've been able to find that is both free and known
    > to work with Asterisk is SJPhone. I've got this working on my PC
    > connecting to the Asterisk box perfectly, but I can't make it work from
    > my XDA at all.
    >
    > I believe the problem is because the XDA connects to the PC over a
    > Bluetooth ActiveSync connection - so it's technically on a different
    > network to the Asterisk box and needs to go through the normal routing
    > to get to it. However, I'm totally in the dark as to what can be done -
    > if anything - to make this work.

    You may need to set "nat=yes" in the sip.conf. also check that you can ping
    the xda and viceversa. as it ay be a purely networking thing.

    > Alternatively to this, does anybody know of any other free SoftPhone
    > software for XDA Pocket PCs that would work instead? I have been hunting
    > through google, voip-info and asterisk forums but couldn't find anything
    > apart from this one...

    Not sure about free ones , I have xtenpro for ppc but to be honest its only
    good for checking vmail etc. as the processor seems to strugle with load
    when using small codecs, and my connection is over wifi

    Ian

    Ian, Jun 24, 2005

  3. Graham Cox

    Graham Cox Guest

    Ian wrote:

    > You may need to set "nat=yes" in the sip.conf. also check that you can ping
    > the xda and viceversa. as it ay be a purely networking thing.

    I did have this in the config - and it didn't help. However, I've
    finally got Bluetooth network access - instead of Activesync access - to
    work, and now SJPhone is working fine to the asterisk box :) Seems it
    was just Activesync getting in the way.

    btw - I could browse the default Apache pages on the Asterisk box from
    my phone just fine, so the routing was working...

    > Not sure about free ones , I have xtenpro for ppc but to be honest its only
    > good for checking vmail etc. as the processor seems to strugle with load
    > when using small codecs, and my connection is over wifi

    I looked at that one actually. The free version will only ever connect
    to their own servers, and as I said earlier I wanted to do it without
    paying for it to start with... If it works out to be worthwhile then
    it's worth spending the cash, but I'd rather not until I get that far...

    Cheers
    --
    Graham

    Graham Cox, Jun 25, 2005