    interested in the group's thoughts?
    Regards
    RC

    Christopher, Sep 29, 2005

  2. Christopher

    David Guest

    Hello Christopher,

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 03:03:11 UTC, "Christopher" <> wrote:

    > I can see the value of VoIP providers proving e911 for TA based services,
    > but how do you do e911 if you are using your Softphone via a Wi-Fi
    > connection in a public area like a park? Unlike GPS and Cellular
    > triangulation, these capabilities do not exist in the wi-fi world....,
    > interested in the group's thoughts?
    > Regards
    > RC

    It would be helpful if there was a reasonably universal Location
    Protocol that IP Devices could use to locate themselves. I've heard
    of some implementations, but none are widespread. Your VoIP Phone
    could ask for the nearest location information (in E-911 coordinates)
    from the Wi-Fi network. The location might not be very specific,
    but hopefully it would at least be close to the public area you were
    in.

    Such Location Discovery Mechanisms would be helpful in many areas.
    Imagine your home PC being able to quickly discover your City and
    your browser helpfully locate certain information you are interested
    in. Cell phones are likely to have some of this soon, but it may
    be more like the cell towers feeding you the data and only that data
    that was paid to be broadcast. A similar advertisement system could
    help (or bother) motorists that have mapping products in their
    vehicles.

    As for your Softphone, perhaps it has other location information
    that could help you further pinpoint your location. For instance,
    a device that could carry on multiple data conversations, such as
    a BlackBerry (phone plus PDA plus internet) could recognize that
    you just called an emergency number (911) and start a location
    discovery process on its own. In this case the BlackBerry is likely
    using a cell tower. However, its data terminal could ask you for
    further details about your location. Consider a Wi-Fi area that
    covers a few square blocks of a city. This extra process of asking
    the user to further clarify their location could be selecting
    two dimensions between three blocks. That data could be sent to
    the E-911 center via a subchannel after the conversation has
    started. We don't have that capability today with E-911, but
    perhaps the OnStar system has something like it. Cell phones
    can also be tracked to some degree. The Wi-Fi network of today
    supports connections, just as cell towers used to. Mandates
    required the development of location discovery mechanisms
    for the cell towers and back into the E-911 system. Perhaps
    at some point this will be added to Wi-Fi as well.

    David

    David, Sep 29, 2005

  3. Christopher

    Christopher Guest

    David -

    Great insight, thanks for your thoughts?

    Chris

    Christopher, Oct 1, 2005