    a big risk, I guess.

    Actually, I was thinking of using it for backdrop lighting if it
    doesn't cost too many stops.

    Peabody, Feb 29, 2012

  2. Peabody

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 18:39:54 -0600, Peabody
    <> wrote:

    >http://www.ebay.com/itm/150720657330
    >
    >So it's a little softbox thingy that you mount on your flash. Just
    >seems like it might come in handy to soften things a bit but still
    >not throw light everywhere. I just wondered if anyone here had
    >tried such a thing and whether it was useful. At $9 delivered, not
    >a big risk, I guess.
    >
    >Actually, I was thinking of using it for backdrop lighting if it
    >doesn't cost too many stops.

    It doesn't look any better or worse than the plastic diffusers (Gary
    Fong or Sto-Fen) that fit over a flash. The disadvantage is that it
    looks bulkier to carry in the camera bag than a Fong or Sto-Fen. OK
    if you never take it with you.

    It ships from China, though. I don't really trust China shipments to
    get here, but I don't know if it's really a problem.

    As you say, not a big risk to try.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Feb 29, 2012

  3. Peabody

    Peabody Guest

    Alan Browne says...

    > One of the drawbacks of the widget you show is it brings
    > a lot of light closer to the lens axis - more chance of
    > red eye.

    I know it shows it mounted on the camera, but I would be
    using the flash off-camera, and it would be in addition to
    my main flash and 43" shoot-through umbrella for studio
    work.

    If I used it on-the-go, I think I would just hold it in my
    left hand, with arm outstretched, and trigger the camera
    right-handed. And I would use a radio trigger for that.

    Well I think I'll spring for the $9 and see how it works
    out.

    Peabody, Feb 29, 2012
  4. Peabody

    Troy Piggins Guest

    On 29/02/12 1:26 PM, * tony cooper wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 18:39:54 -0600, Peabody
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/150720657330
    >>
    >> So it's a little softbox thingy that you mount on your flash. Just
    >> seems like it might come in handy to soften things a bit but still
    >> not throw light everywhere. I just wondered if anyone here had
    >> tried such a thing and whether it was useful. At $9 delivered, not
    >> a big risk, I guess.
    >>
    >> Actually, I was thinking of using it for backdrop lighting if it
    >> doesn't cost too many stops.

    > It doesn't look any better or worse than the plastic diffusers (Gary
    > Fong or Sto-Fen) that fit over a flash. The disadvantage is that it
    > looks bulkier to carry in the camera bag than a Fong or Sto-Fen. OK
    > if you never take it with you.
    >
    > It ships from China, though. I don't really trust China shipments to
    > get here, but I don't know if it's really a problem.
    >
    > As you say, not a big risk to try.

    It's a bigger surface area than the Fong or Stofen, so it should give
    softer light if put close to the subject. No? The Fong and Stofen are
    meant for bounce flash. No good if you don't have anything to bounce
    off. This softbox thingy is meant for direct shooting.

    Troy Piggins, Feb 29, 2012
  5. Peabody

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > It ships from China, though. I don't really trust China shipments to
    > get here, but I don't know if it's really a problem.

    it's not problem at all. the item will ship when they say it will and
    typically arrive about 2-3 weeks and on occasion slightly less. i've
    had more problems with usa sellers.

    nospam, Feb 29, 2012
  6. Peabody

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 21:01:29 -0800, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, tony cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> It ships from China, though. I don't really trust China shipments to
    >> get here, but I don't know if it's really a problem.

    >it's not problem at all. the item will ship when they say it will and
    >typically arrive about 2-3 weeks and on occasion slightly less. i've
    >had more problems with usa sellers.

    The ad says delivery between March 16 and March 29. It could be a
    month from now.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Feb 29, 2012
  7. Peabody

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> It ships from China, though. I don't really trust China shipments to
    > >> get here, but I don't know if it's really a problem.

    > >it's not problem at all. the item will ship when they say it will and
    > >typically arrive about 2-3 weeks and on occasion slightly less. i've
    > >had more problems with usa sellers.

    > The ad says delivery between March 16 and March 29. It could be a
    > month from now.

    actually, that's ebay's estimate. had you read the ad itself, you'd see
    they say about 2-3 weeks to the usa, just like i said it would.

    nospam, Feb 29, 2012
  8. Peabody

    Bruce Guest

    Peabody <> wrote:

    >http://www.ebay.com/itm/150720657330
    >
    >So it's a little softbox thingy that you mount on your flash. Just
    >seems like it might come in handy to soften things a bit but still
    >not throw light everywhere. I just wondered if anyone here had
    >tried such a thing and whether it was useful. At $9 delivered, not
    >a big risk, I guess.
    >
    >Actually, I was thinking of using it for backdrop lighting if it
    >doesn't cost too many stops.

    It is worth a try for $9. You can pay a lot more for something based
    on similar principles from a well-known brand:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/140549038629

    Expect to lose 1.5 to 2 stops. But definitely worth a try.

    Bruce, Feb 29, 2012
  9. Peabody

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 22:20:04 -0800, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >it's not problem at all. the item will ship when they say it will and
    >> >typically arrive about 2-3 weeks and on occasion slightly less. i've
    >> >had more problems with usa sellers.

    >> The ad says delivery between March 16 and March 29. It could be a
    >> month from now.

    >actually, that's ebay's estimate. had you read the ad itself, you'd see
    >they say about 2-3 weeks to the usa, just like i said it would.

    It also says: "But sometimes maybe take up to 4-6 weeks due to strict
    Custom Inspection"

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Feb 29, 2012
  10. Peabody

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> The ad says delivery between March 16 and March 29. It could be a
    > >> month from now.

    > >actually, that's ebay's estimate. had you read the ad itself, you'd see
    > >they say about 2-3 weeks to the usa, just like i said it would.

    > It also says: "But sometimes maybe take up to 4-6 weeks due to strict
    > Custom Inspection"

    talking out your ass again, i see. you've never bought a single ebay
    item from china. you just want to argue for the sake of argument.

    i've bought numerous items from china. it will show up in 2-3 weeks.

    nospam, Feb 29, 2012
  11. Peabody

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:41:21 -0800, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >actually, that's ebay's estimate. had you read the ad itself, you'd see
    >> >they say about 2-3 weeks to the usa, just like i said it would.

    >> It also says: "But sometimes maybe take up to 4-6 weeks due to strict
    >> Custom Inspection"

    >talking out your ass again, i see. you've never bought a single ebay
    >item from china.

    No, I haven't. I said in my post that I don't really trust China
    shipments. For that matter, I don't really trust the vendors.

    > you just want to argue for the sake of argument.

    No argument. I'm just quoting what it says in the ad.

    >i've bought numerous items from china. it will show up in 2-3 weeks.

    Yeah, right.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Feb 29, 2012
  12. Peabody

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> It also says: "But sometimes maybe take up to 4-6 weeks due to strict
    > >> Custom Inspection"

    > >talking out your ass again, i see. you've never bought a single ebay
    > >item from china.

    > No, I haven't. I said in my post that I don't really trust China
    > shipments. For that matter, I don't really trust the vendors.

    only out of ignorance.

    > > you just want to argue for the sake of argument.

    > No argument. I'm just quoting what it says in the ad.

    you're blindly quoting. meanwhile, i'm telling you what *actually*
    happens when someone buys stuff from chinese sellers.

    > >i've bought numerous items from china. it will show up in 2-3 weeks.

    > Yeah, right.

    are you saying i'm lying?

    nospam, Feb 29, 2012
  13. Peabody

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:03:40 -0800, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >talking out your ass again, i see. you've never bought a single ebay
    >> >item from china.

    >> No, I haven't. I said in my post that I don't really trust China
    >> shipments. For that matter, I don't really trust the vendors.

    >only out of ignorance.

    It could be ignorance, or it could be prudence. I might be able to
    save a buck or two if I purchased something on eBay from a vendor
    shipping from China, but by spending a little more and buying from a
    reputable vendor like B&H or Adorama I get the product faster and have
    less risk. You may have more need to save a buck or two.

    >> > you just want to argue for the sake of argument.

    >> No argument. I'm just quoting what it says in the ad.

    >you're blindly quoting.

    No, I read the ad. eBay does not have a braille version that I know
    of.

    > meanwhile, i'm telling you what *actually*
    >happens when someone buys stuff from chinese sellers.
    >
    >> >i've bought numerous items from china. it will show up in 2-3 weeks.

    This is like your airplane market share survey, isn't it? You bought
    something from China, it arrived in less than four weeks, and you then
    extrapolate that into everyone's experience with all orders.

    >> Yeah, right.

    Here's how a responsible person describes his experiences:

    http://reviews.ebay.com/The-wisdom-...om-China-Pros-amp-Cons?ugid=10000000020373358

    >are you saying i'm lying?

    Try the shoe on.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Feb 29, 2012
  14. Peabody

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> No, I haven't. I said in my post that I don't really trust China
    > >> shipments. For that matter, I don't really trust the vendors.

    > >only out of ignorance.

    > It could be ignorance, or it could be prudence.

    it's ignorance. you've never done it.

    > I might be able to
    > save a buck or two if I purchased something on eBay from a vendor
    > shipping from China, but by spending a little more and buying from a
    > reputable vendor like B&H or Adorama I get the product faster and have
    > less risk. You may have more need to save a buck or two.

    except that the difference is usually quite a bit more than a buck or
    two. it's often $20-30 and sometimes even much more than that. the
    savings adds up very quickly.

    > >> No argument. I'm just quoting what it says in the ad.

    > >you're blindly quoting.

    > No, I read the ad. eBay does not have a braille version that I know
    > of.

    you may have read the ad, but you are deliberately taking it out of
    context solely to argue.

    > > meanwhile, i'm telling you what *actually*
    > >happens when someone buys stuff from chinese sellers.

    > This is like your airplane market share survey, isn't it? You bought
    > something from China, it arrived in less than four weeks, and you then
    > extrapolate that into everyone's experience with all orders.

    there you go twisting things again.

    > >> Yeah, right.

    > Here's how a responsible person describes his experiences:
    >
    > http://reviews.ebay.com/The-wisdom-...om-China-Pros-amp-Cons?ugid=10000000020373358

    that's just one person's opinion, one who you intentionally cherry
    picked, and one who is highly biased and not particularly savvy about
    buying stuff either. he can't tell where an item is coming from or how
    to track purchases? both are very easy to do. looking at his selling
    history, the stuff he sells is no doubt available for a lot less from
    china so it's no surprise he is critical of chinese sellers. it's his
    competition.

    > >are you saying i'm lying?

    > Try the shoe on.

    you're an asshole.

    nospam, Feb 29, 2012
  15. Peabody

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:30:53 -0800, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >only out of ignorance.

    >> It could be ignorance, or it could be prudence.

    >it's ignorance. you've never done it.
    >
    >> I might be able to
    >> save a buck or two if I purchased something on eBay from a vendor
    >> shipping from China, but by spending a little more and buying from a
    >> reputable vendor like B&H or Adorama I get the product faster and have
    >> less risk. You may have more need to save a buck or two.

    >except that the difference is usually quite a bit more than a buck or
    >two. it's often $20-30 and sometimes even much more than that. the
    >savings adds up very quickly.

    If I'm buying an item where one vendor sells it for $20 to $30 less
    than another vendor, the total price has to be high enough that I
    would want assurance of the success of the transaction. That means I
    would deal with a reputable vendor with a known address in case a
    return would be required. It's worth the extra money to me.

    >> >you're blindly quoting.

    >> No, I read the ad. eBay does not have a braille version that I know
    >> of.

    >you may have read the ad, but you are deliberately taking it out of
    >context solely to argue.

    Out of context? The ad is the context. All the context is there. I
    quoted the figures from the ad.

    >> > meanwhile, i'm telling you what *actually*
    >> >happens when someone buys stuff from chinese sellers.

    >> This is like your airplane market share survey, isn't it? You bought
    >> something from China, it arrived in less than four weeks, and you then
    >> extrapolate that into everyone's experience with all orders.

    >there you go twisting things again.

    >> Here's how a responsible person describes his experiences:
    >>
    >> http://reviews.ebay.com/The-wisdom-...om-China-Pros-amp-Cons?ugid=10000000020373358

    >that's just one person's opinion

    And exactly how is that any different than your opinion? You are one
    person.

    >, one who you intentionally cherry
    >picked, and one who is highly biased

    Where do you get that? The article is, in my opinion, very balanced.
    Much more so than what you posted.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Feb 29, 2012
  16. Peabody

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> No, I read the ad. eBay does not have a braille version that I know
    > >> of.

    > >you may have read the ad, but you are deliberately taking it out of
    > >context solely to argue.

    > Out of context? The ad is the context. All the context is there. I
    > quoted the figures from the ad.

    you're just looking for the biggest number, which doesn't mean what you
    think it means. you are deliberately ignoring the figures that say 7-10
    days for usa shipments, which is what it will be.

    of course, there's always the off chance that the plane could crash and
    he might never get it at all, but that could happen to *any* purchase,
    from anywhere.

    nospam, Feb 29, 2012
  17. Peabody

    Bruce Guest

    >I got my wireless remote from Phottix in China in 10 days. I have their
    >Phottix Plato remote and it has worked as advertised without issue. $50
    >was far better than the $$$ asking price to get the same function from
    >Nikon. Though it must be said that today there are similar Chinese
    >imports available from B&H for less than the $50.
    >As for Chinese eBay purchases I have no experience and have no comment
    >on those delivery times.

    Many if not most Chinese eBay sellers offer a two tier service. China
    Post is usually free because it is heavily subsidised and costs the
    sellers mere pennies. However, it tends to take up to three weeks to
    Europe, usually a few days less to the USA.

    Many sellers offer EMS at additional cost. EMS is an international
    express mail system with signatories including the USA and most
    developed countries, plus the Chinese. Once again, the Chinese
    version is subsidised and therefore costs a lot less than the USPS EMS
    service, while the UK's Parcelforce is comparatively very expensive.

    EMS from Chine typically takes 5-8 days but as with any international
    mail service can suffer from customs delays which add to that.

    Bruce, Feb 29, 2012
  18. Peabody

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 22:26:26 -0500, tony cooper <>
    wrote:
    : On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 18:39:54 -0600, Peabody
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >http://www.ebay.com/itm/150720657330
    : >
    : >So it's a little softbox thingy that you mount on your flash. Just
    : >seems like it might come in handy to soften things a bit but still
    : >not throw light everywhere. I just wondered if anyone here had
    : >tried such a thing and whether it was useful. At $9 delivered, not
    : >a big risk, I guess.
    : >
    : >Actually, I was thinking of using it for backdrop lighting if it
    : >doesn't cost too many stops.
    :
    : It doesn't look any better or worse than the plastic diffusers (Gary
    : Fong or Sto-Fen) that fit over a flash. The disadvantage is that it
    : looks bulkier to carry in the camera bag than a Fong or Sto-Fen. OK
    : if you never take it with you.

    It looks like cloth with a wire frame. Maybe it collapses.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Mar 1, 2012
  19. tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:03:40 -0800, nospam <>
    >>In article <>, tony cooper

    >>> No, I haven't. I said in my post that I don't really trust China
    >>> shipments. For that matter, I don't really trust the vendors.

    >>only out of ignorance.

    > It could be ignorance, or it could be prudence.

    Wisdom and common sense? From something where you have no
    experience?

    > I might be able to
    > save a buck or two if I purchased something on eBay from a vendor
    > shipping from China, but by spending a little more and buying from a
    > reputable vendor like B&H or Adorama I get the product faster and have
    > less risk. You may have more need to save a buck or two.

    Oh, a buck or two saved per buck spend is a good deal.

    > Here's how a responsible person describes his experiences:

    > http://reviews.ebay.com/The-wisdom-...om-China-Pros-amp-Cons?ugid=10000000020373358

    How do you know it's a responsible person? (Too stupid to
    check where the stuff is coming from?)
    And why should his experience be worth anything?

    For the record: I have had no problems with China. Fast, cheap,
    often not available elsewhere.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 3, 2012
  20. Peabody

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Wolfgang
    Weisselberg <> wrote:

    > > I might be able to
    > > save a buck or two if I purchased something on eBay from a vendor
    > > shipping from China, but by spending a little more and buying from a
    > > reputable vendor like B&H or Adorama I get the product faster and have
    > > less risk. You may have more need to save a buck or two.

    > Oh, a buck or two saved per buck spend is a good deal.

    as i said, it's often much more than a buck or two but yes, it adds up.

    > > Here's how a responsible person describes his experiences:
    > >
    > > http://reviews.ebay.com/The-wisdom-of-US-Buyers-buying-from-China-Pros-amp-C
    > > ons?ugid=10000000020373358

    > How do you know it's a responsible person? (Too stupid to
    > check where the stuff is coming from?)
    > And why should his experience be worth anything?

    because it's all he could find to contradict me.

    > For the record: I have had no problems with China. Fast, cheap,
    > often not available elsewhere.

    same here, although i would say reliable rather than fast. 2-3 weeks is
    not exactly fast, however, it always shows up.

    to blindly dismiss all chinese sellers as untrustworthy without ever
    having tried it at best, incredibly stupid. however, i think it's
    pretty obvious what the real reason is.

    nospam, Mar 3, 2012