Softare Solution to have two audio inputs into the computer ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by NZed, Jul 12, 2007.

  1. NZed

    NZed Guest

    I have a problem which I am sure many others who use skype may wish to
    resolve.

    I like playing music and my guitar over skype with other musicians.

    I would like to play a midi file or music for background while and sing and
    play the guitar....so do my fellow musicians.

    At the moment I have my speakers and mic ..but the quality is crap.

    I would like to have my mic and a direct input somehow from playing the
    music from media player or other software.

    How can I accomplish this ? Is there a software work around ?

    Looking forward to your suggestions.

    NZed
    NZed, Jul 12, 2007

  2. NZed

    Rob S Guest

    NZed wrote:
    > I have a problem which I am sure many others who use skype may wish to
    > resolve.
    >
    > I like playing music and my guitar over skype with other musicians.
    >
    > I would like to play a midi file or music for background while and sing and
    > play the guitar....so do my fellow musicians.
    >
    > At the moment I have my speakers and mic ..but the quality is crap.
    >
    > I would like to have my mic and a direct input somehow from playing the
    > music from media player or other software.
    >
    > How can I accomplish this ? Is there a software work around ?
    >
    > Looking forward to your suggestions.
    >
    > NZed

    I don't think you need 2 audio inputs feeding in to Skype. A software
    mixing desk, taking pre-recorded backing and mixing your guitar, with
    the mixed output streaming to Skype. Would Audacity do it? Been many
    years since I've been playing. I'm sure there's others here can help.

    Where's BABYMASH when you need him? I'm sure he'd know.

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    A hacker does for love what others would not do for money.
    Rob S, Jul 12, 2007

  3. NZed

    sam Guest

    NZed wrote:
    > I have a problem which I am sure many others who use skype may wish to
    > resolve.
    >
    > I like playing music and my guitar over skype with other musicians.
    >
    > I would like to play a midi file or music for background while and sing and
    > play the guitar....so do my fellow musicians.
    >
    > At the moment I have my speakers and mic ..but the quality is crap.
    >
    > I would like to have my mic and a direct input somehow from playing the
    > music from media player or other software.
    >
    > How can I accomplish this ? Is there a software work around ?
    >
    > Looking forward to your suggestions.
    >
    > NZed

    I'd say get a little Behringer UB502 mixer for around $100 and feed it
    into your line in
    http://www.behringer.com/502/index.cfm?lang=eng
    sam, Jul 12, 2007
  4. NZed

    NZed Guest

    Sorry not made my self clear enough

    another example.

    If I am playing karaoke softare and want it to listen to it and at the same
    time be playing it and singing on the mic over the internet so other people
    can hear.

    ie the softare is playing through the speakers but also want it to be
    playing onto the internet so others can hear while I am using the mic.

    Suggestions ?

    NZed

    NZed, Jul 13, 2007
  5. NZed

    ~misfit~ Guest

    NZed wrote:
    > Sorry not made my self clear enough
    >
    > another example.
    >
    > If I am playing karaoke softare and want it to listen to it and at
    > the same time be playing it and singing on the mic over the internet
    > so other people can hear.
    >
    > ie the softare is playing through the speakers but also want it to be
    > playing onto the internet so others can hear while I am using the mic.
    >
    > Suggestions ?

    Put one speaker next to the mic? Vary distance to achieve desired effect?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 13, 2007
  6. NZed

    Jo Guest

    "NZed" <> wrote in message
    >I have a problem which I am sure many others who use skype may wish to
    >resolve.
    >
    > I like playing music and my guitar over skype with other musicians.

    http://www.ejamming.com/
    Try this......I thought you had a studio?

    BTW I am looking at starting a kitchen session at my place about once a
    month if you are interested. Not like singers club, but for diddlers by
    diddlers.
    Jo, Jul 13, 2007
  7. NZed

    NZed Guest

    HI Jo

    Now that was interesting.

    That link to ejamming.com
    I had been in discussions with a software development engineer concerning
    designing such a softare tool.
    There was a lot involved to make it work successfully we dropped the idea
    because we thought it couldnt be done to a level of our own and other
    musicians expectations.

    So we are going to test it.

    Cheers and thanks for the link.

    NZed
    PS still looking for an audio syncing software ...I was thinking maybe
    podcast software maydo it...ie talk and play music in the background

    NZed, Jul 13, 2007
  8. NZed

    NZed Guest

    Yes that does work but I need a consistant set up to take anywhere on my
    laptop.

    hence the audio sync software idea

    NZed

    NZed, Jul 13, 2007
  9. NZed

    sam Guest

    NZed wrote:
    > Sorry not made my self clear enough
    >
    > another example.
    >
    > If I am playing karaoke softare and want it to listen to it and at the same
    > time be playing it and singing on the mic over the internet so other people
    > can hear.
    >
    > ie the softare is playing through the speakers but also want it to be
    > playing onto the internet so others can hear while I am using the mic.
    >
    > Suggestions ?
    >
    > NZed
    > "NZed" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a problem which I am sure many others who use skype may wish to
    >> resolve.
    >>
    >> I like playing music and my guitar over skype with other musicians.
    >>
    >> I would like to play a midi file or music for background while and sing
    >> and play the guitar....so do my fellow musicians.
    >>
    >> At the moment I have my speakers and mic ..but the quality is crap.
    >>
    >> I would like to have my mic and a direct input somehow from playing the
    >> music from media player or other software.
    >>
    >> How can I accomplish this ? Is there a software work around ?
    >>
    >> Looking forward to your suggestions.
    >>
    >> NZed

    Mixcast Live ?
    http://tinyscience.com/
    sam, Jul 13, 2007
  10. NZed

    Jo Guest

    "NZed" <> wrote in message
    > HI Jo
    >
    > Now that was interesting.
    >
    > That link to ejamming.com

    No problem I looked at it for band practice for a rock band I sometimes play
    with. Since it is based in Hamilton getting to regular practice can be an
    issue.
    Generally I attend anywhere between 1- 5 different live sessions or similar
    a week so its not something thats a high priority.
    Jo, Jul 13, 2007
  11. NZed

    Tyron Efua Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:07:28 +1200, Jo wrote:

    > BTW I am looking at starting a kitchen session at my place about once a
    > month if you are interested. Not like singers club, but for diddlers by
    > diddlers.

    Is that what they call people who play the diolin?
    Tyron Efua, Jul 13, 2007
  12. NZed

    Jo Guest

    "Tyron Efua" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:07:28 +1200, Jo wrote:
    >
    >> BTW I am looking at starting a kitchen session at my place about once a
    >> month if you are interested. Not like singers club, but for diddlers by
    >> diddlers.

    > Is that what they call people who play the diolin?

    no thats a skylark - guaranteed to kill all student and parental enthusiasm
    stone cold dead on the spot
    Jo, Jul 14, 2007