    minutes and then check the logs to see who was doing what ?

    TIA
    Mayalayam
    Beverly Hills, Jan 5, 2008

  2. Beverly Hills

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Beverly Hills" wrote in message
    news:477fac43$0$27604$...
    > Is there some software that I can start (on boot) and leave running
    > 10 minutes and then check the logs to see who was doing what ?

    SysInternals' FileMon
    Put a shortcut to it in your Startup folder to load it after you login
    since the system may be so bogged down that you cannot get it started
    manually. Once you decide to target just some files to reduce the
    size of the logging (i.e., to focus at suspect files), use its filter
    to narrow down which files it will monitor.
    VanguardLH, Jan 5, 2008

  3. Thanks, will give that a blast.

    B.
    Beverley Hills, Jan 5, 2008
  4. Hi Vanguard LH !

    I've just been over to SysInternals and found DiskMon
    did you mean
    DiskMon ("This utility captures all hard disk activity or acts like a
    software disk activity light in your system tray").

    rather than FileMon ??

    B.
    Beverley Hills, Jan 5, 2008
  5. Beverly Hills

    Guest

    "Beverley Hills" <> wrote:

    >Hi Vanguard LH !
    >
    >I've just been over to SysInternals and found DiskMon
    >did you mean
    > DiskMon ("This utility captures all hard disk activity or acts like a
    >software disk activity light in your system tray").
    >
    >rather than FileMon ??

    Diskmon shows disk activity, yes. Filemon shows what files are being
    used during this activity, which can help find the program causing all
    the activity (virus checker).

    Process Monitor (same site) shows all files used and registry
    read/writes (filemon and Regmon).
    --

    Why Daddy Shouldn’t Buy Baby Clothes
    www.piclicious.tv/2007/12/why-daddy-shouldnt-buy-baby-clothes.html
  6. Beverly Hills

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Beverley Hills" wrote in message

    > I've just been over to SysInternals and found DiskMon
    > did you mean
    > DiskMon ("This utility captures all hard disk activity or acts like
    > a software disk activity light in your system tray").
    > rather than FileMon ??

    You said that you wanted to monitor FILE access. You already know
    that there is plenty of disk access.
    VanguardLH, Jan 5, 2008
  7. Beverly Hills wrote:

    > Hi,
    > my PC boots OK but then spends ages doing something on the disk .
    > I can hear the disk rumbling and clicking anc clunking like a dishwasher
    > for about 5 or 10 minutes.
    > During that time anything else I try to do is dramatically slow.
    > Then everything goes quiet and I can use my PC normally.
    >
    > When the disk is rumbling the Programme monitor shows programmes that are
    > active and using memory :
    > examples : Picasa scanning for images, Goggle desktop scanning for files,
    > maybe Explorer indexing ... and my antivirus maybe scanning large files.
    >
    > But maybe also some malware ?
    >
    > How can I check to see what is going on on the disk.

    Before you use the sysinternals tools (filemon and brothers), you should run
    msconfig to eliminate the known disk hogs (google desktop, picasa ...) for
    the time of research. Maybe you'll discover everything will silence down
    and run quite normal, when not two or more competing (for the drive head)
    programs keep the head crunching.

    > Is there some software that I can start (on boot) and leave running 10
    > minutes and then check the logs to see who was doing what ?

    .... or otherwise you will have to take a looong time to review the logs *eg*
    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 5, 2008