    What do I need to know to make my pictures sharper?
    If there is an in-depth answer does anyone know of a tutorial I can have a
    look at please?
    Beck, Jul 20, 2005

  2. Beck

    dylan Guest

    "Beck" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I usually use automatic settings on cameras (due to lack of superior
    >knowledge) and often find photos are soft around the edges and not sharp.
    > What do I need to know to make my pictures sharper?
    > If there is an in-depth answer does anyone know of a tutorial I can have a
    > look at please?

    either

    1. Check for a sharpening setting on your camera and enable it
    2. Use some photo processing software eg Paint Shop Pro, Abode Elements etc
    dylan, Jul 20, 2005

  3. Beck

    Dimitris M Guest

    Almost all the lenses, even the most expensive and mostly the wide angles
    are sharper in the middle than in the edges. This is worst with zooms and
    worst with cheap zooms.

    It becomes better when you use not wide-open apertures. Significantly
    better. As a rule of thumb, you must expect the best definition in the area
    of F5,6 to F11, depending of the lens and about 2 or 3 stops down from the
    widest. For ex, a F4 lens, will be expected to have his best definition in
    the F8 to 11 and a F2,8 from 5,6 to 8.

    So, if you want to achieve the best definition, you can use in your camera
    the "Aperture priority" mode, setting the aperture to that area and monitor
    the speed to be in reasonable area.
    --
    Dimitris M

    Dimitris M, Jul 20, 2005
  4. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Dimitris M wrote:
    > Almost all the lenses, even the most expensive and mostly the wide
    > angles are sharper in the middle than in the edges. This is worst
    > with zooms and worst with cheap zooms.
    >
    > It becomes better when you use not wide-open apertures. Significantly
    > better. As a rule of thumb, you must expect the best definition in
    > the area of F5,6 to F11, depending of the lens and about 2 or 3 stops
    > down from the widest. For ex, a F4 lens, will be expected to have his
    > best definition in the F8 to 11 and a F2,8 from 5,6 to 8.
    >
    > So, if you want to achieve the best definition, you can use in your
    > camera the "Aperture priority" mode, setting the aperture to that
    > area and monitor the speed to be in reasonable area.
    >
    >> I usually use automatic settings on cameras (due to lack of superior
    >> knowledge) and often find photos are soft around the edges and not
    >> sharp. What do I need to know to make my pictures sharper?
    >> If there is an in-depth answer does anyone know of a tutorial I can
    >> have a look at please?

    Thankyou for the advice Dimitris. My next project is to work on aperture
    priority and see what the score is :)
    Beck, Jul 20, 2005
  5. Beck

    [BnH] Guest

    3. upgrade to a lens [or camera] that has better sharpness on the edges.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jul 21, 2005