    Is there anything for windows that will ssl thru (which is allowed) and
    then present a socks proxy locally for firefox etc to use and use the
    ssl port fowarding to get thru to the destination server?
    Richard, Jun 12, 2009

  2. On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 21:06:10 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Having to use the net at a few places with rather bizzare port
    >restrictions and many things being available on non standard ports that
    >I would like to get to is a pain.
    >
    >Is there anything for windows that will ssl thru (which is allowed) and
    >then present a socks proxy locally for firefox etc to use and use the
    >ssl port fowarding to get thru to the destination server?

    If you have somewhere you can set up an OpenVPN server, you can just
    set that up to accept port 22 tcp connections and then connect to it
    from wherever you need to and route all your traffic through the VPN.
    Then you get normal ports as per the system running the OpenVPN
    server. OpenVPN uses SSL encryption, so if the routers giving you
    problems are level 7 capable, I think they should still only see SSL
    connections on port 22 (which is normally open for SSH) and it should
    work. That setup worked for me from a company with somewhat paranoid
    routers.
    Stephen Worthington, Jun 12, 2009

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > If you have somewhere you can set up an OpenVPN server, you can just
    > set that up to accept port 22 tcp connections and then connect to it
    > from wherever you need to and route all your traffic through the VPN.
    > Then you get normal ports as per the system running the OpenVPN
    > server. OpenVPN uses SSL encryption, so if the routers giving you
    > problems are level 7 capable, I think they should still only see SSL
    > connections on port 22 (which is normally open for SSH) and it should
    > work. That setup worked for me from a company with somewhat paranoid
    > routers.

    While the nntp server I use was down I found bitvise tunneler which does
    just what I need.

    will see how it goes at tech next, but from home its allowing me to get
    to trademe with the same IP that my web server uses so I can browse
    without anything to link the 2 local browsers together which was my main
    desire at the moment.
    Richard, Jun 12, 2009
  4. Richard

    EMB Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > will see how it goes at tech next, but from home its allowing me to get
    > to trademe with the same IP that my web server uses so I can browse
    > without anything to link the 2 local browsers together which was my main
    > desire at the moment.

    Ahhh - your real objective was to be able to place shill bids on your
    own auctions without being caught by trademe.
    EMB, Jun 12, 2009
  5. Richard

    Richard Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >> will see how it goes at tech next, but from home its allowing me to
    >> get to trademe with the same IP that my web server uses so I can
    >> browse without anything to link the 2 local browsers together which
    >> was my main desire at the moment.

    > Ahhh - your real objective was to be able to place shill bids on your
    > own auctions without being caught by trademe.

    No, its so I can operate on a friends account from the webserver so we
    don't get suspended again since him and my self sell the same stuff and
    they dont like 2 logins from the same place with the same product range
    and we have had this problem in the past.
    Richard, Jun 13, 2009
  6. Richard

    Richard Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >> will see how it goes at tech next, but from home its allowing me to
    >> get to trademe with the same IP that my web server uses so I can
    >> browse without anything to link the 2 local browsers together which
    >> was my main desire at the moment.

    > Ahhh - your real objective was to be able to place shill bids on your
    > own auctions without being caught by trademe.

    And I am able to get online at the problem hotspot too :)
    Richard, Jun 14, 2009
  7. Richard

    EMB Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>> will see how it goes at tech next, but from home its allowing me to
    >>> get to trademe with the same IP that my web server uses so I can
    >>> browse without anything to link the 2 local browsers together which
    >>> was my main desire at the moment.

    >> Ahhh - your real objective was to be able to place shill bids on your
    >> own auctions without being caught by trademe.

    > And I am able to get online at the problem hotspot too :)

    Well done :)
    EMB, Jun 15, 2009