Socket Error and virtual memory Question

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by BigDummy, Oct 3, 2006.

  1. BigDummy

    BigDummy

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Hi All,

    I hope someone can help me here.

    Sporadically my PC experiences socket errors which results in loss of network connectivity (any application that uses TCPIP). Any pings to the PC's IP address times out after I experience the socket error. My only option is to reboot the PC. This happens once a week and usually at the worst of times.

    My PC is an HP 2.0 GHz CPU running XP, 512 mbs of ram, plenty of diskspace.

    One thing I noticed is my virtual memory is set at 3 gbs which seems to be high. A friend set the virtual memory from 756 mbs to 3 gbs after my PC experienced slowness after heavy use. Prior to the virtual memory adjustment, I don't recall socket errors.

    Can someone explain if supersizing virtual memory can lead to socket errors and why?

    Thank you in advance.

    John

    BigDummy, Oct 3, 2006

  2. BigDummy

    joe6840

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Messages:
    12
    Can you add another 512 mb of ram. Also try increasing vm to 1.5 gb.

    joe6840, Oct 12, 2006