    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 27, 2003

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:
    >> I remember hearing once that it might be possible to get a clip that
    >> uses the other, off-set tab but for the life of me I can't locate
    >> one.
    >>

    > Ive never seem one for a socket 370 or above.
    > You can glue the heatsink onto the CPU as a last resort

    Thanks. I've done the glue thing before and regretted it later, not in a
    hurry to do it again.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 28, 2003

  3. I

    Steve Robertson, Dec 28, 2003
  4. ~misfit~

    J Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:11:48 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
    wrote:

    >I was recently given a Socket 370 board, never been used as the retaining
    >tab that holds the CPU HSF clip on is broken off. The board works fine, it
    >was still in the original box with manual, driver CD, cables etc. I
    >currently have it lying flat with the HSF held on by gravity and the
    >viscosity of the thermal compound. Not the ideal situation as when the fan
    >starts up it moves the HS a little. Also, I'd like to use it in a tower
    >case.
    >
    >I remember hearing once that it might be possible to get a clip that uses
    >the other, off-set tab but for the life of me I can't locate one.
    >
    >Does anyone know where I can get such a clip? Any help gratefully received.
    >
    >Cheers,

    You could try something like a glacialtech igloo.. I've seen it done
    on Socket370 boards and it does work, but will sit a little funny.

    There are plenty of HSF's with the offset mount points, you should
    find one fairly easily, I've had to do it with a Socket A, but that is
    a whole lot easier..

    J.
    J, Dec 28, 2003
  5. ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I was recently given a Socket 370 board, never been used as the retaining
    > tab that holds the CPU HSF clip on is broken off. The board works fine, it
    > was still in the original box with manual, driver CD, cables etc. I
    > currently have it lying flat with the HSF held on by gravity and the
    > viscosity of the thermal compound. Not the ideal situation as when the fan
    > starts up it moves the HS a little. Also, I'd like to use it in a tower
    > case.
    >
    > I remember hearing once that it might be possible to get a clip that uses
    > the other, off-set tab but for the life of me I can't locate one.
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can get such a clip? Any help gratefully received.

    Look at socket A heatsinks, they mainly have 3 holes at each end, and will fit
    onto socket 370 as well.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 28, 2003
  6. ~misfit~

    J Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:54:33 +1300, J <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:11:48 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I was recently given a Socket 370 board, never been used as the retaining
    >>tab that holds the CPU HSF clip on is broken off. The board works fine, it
    >>was still in the original box with manual, driver CD, cables etc. I
    >>currently have it lying flat with the HSF held on by gravity and the
    >>viscosity of the thermal compound. Not the ideal situation as when the fan
    >>starts up it moves the HS a little. Also, I'd like to use it in a tower
    >>case.
    >>
    >>I remember hearing once that it might be possible to get a clip that uses
    >>the other, off-set tab but for the life of me I can't locate one.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know where I can get such a clip? Any help gratefully received.
    >>
    >>Cheers,

    >You could try something like a glacialtech igloo.. I've seen it done
    >on Socket370 boards and it does work, but will sit a little funny.
    >
    >There are plenty of HSF's with the offset mount points, you should
    >find one fairly easily, I've had to do it with a Socket A, but that is
    >a whole lot easier..
    >
    > J.

    Oh yeah, if you don't have access to a distributor, Ascent do them I
    believe and no doubt some others.
    J, Dec 28, 2003
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I was recently given a Socket 370 board, never been used as the
    >> retaining tab that holds the CPU HSF clip on is broken off. The
    >> board works fine, it was still in the original box with manual,
    >> driver CD, cables etc. I currently have it lying flat with the HSF
    >> held on by gravity and the viscosity of the thermal compound. Not
    >> the ideal situation as when the fan starts up it moves the HS a
    >> little. Also, I'd like to use it in a tower case.
    >>
    >> I remember hearing once that it might be possible to get a clip that
    >> uses the other, off-set tab but for the life of me I can't locate
    >> one.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know where I can get such a clip? Any help gratefully
    >> received.

    > Look at socket A heatsinks, they mainly have 3 holes at each end, and
    > will fit onto socket 370 as well.

    Ok, thanks. I didn't really want to fork out for a HSF, just the clip but I
    see some cheap Socket A HSFs around so that could be the answer.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 28, 2003
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    J wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:54:33 +1300, J <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:11:48 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >> <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was recently given a Socket 370 board, never been used as the
    >>> retaining tab that holds the CPU HSF clip on is broken off. The
    >>> board works fine, it was still in the original box with manual,
    >>> driver CD, cables etc. I currently have it lying flat with the HSF
    >>> held on by gravity and the viscosity of the thermal compound. Not
    >>> the ideal situation as when the fan starts up it moves the HS a
    >>> little. Also, I'd like to use it in a tower case.
    >>>
    >>> I remember hearing once that it might be possible to get a clip
    >>> that uses the other, off-set tab but for the life of me I can't
    >>> locate one.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know where I can get such a clip? Any help gratefully
    >>> received.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,

    >> You could try something like a glacialtech igloo.. I've seen it done
    >> on Socket370 boards and it does work, but will sit a little funny.
    >>
    >> There are plenty of HSF's with the offset mount points, you should
    >> find one fairly easily, I've had to do it with a Socket A, but that
    >> is a whole lot easier..
    >>
    >> J.

    > Oh yeah, if you don't have access to a distributor, Ascent do them I
    > believe and no doubt some others.

    Thanks, I really just wanted a clip (financially challenged) but I'll have a
    look around at Socket A coolers. I've seen a few Socket A coolers cheap.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    Cheers,