Social Engineering

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Angela Kahealani, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. CERT Advisory wrote:

    > Over the past week, we have seen two more mass-mailing viruses,
    > W32/Bagle and W32/Novarg, impact a significant number of home users
    > and sites. The technology used in these viruses is not significantly
    > different from prior mass-mailing viruses [...].

    > Unsolicited email messages containing attachments are sent to
    > unsuspecting recipients. They may contain a return address, a
    > provocative envelope, or something else that encourages its receiver
    > to open it.

    > This technique is called social engineering. Because we are trusting
    > and curious, social engineering is often effective. The widespread
    > impact of these latest viruses, which rely on human intervention to
    > spread, demonstrates the effectiveness of social engineering.

    What many people fail to see, simply because it is not on the nightly
    television news PROGRAMMING offered by the same NWO powerbrokers who
    own and run the CORPORATE world which has replaced the world of
    nations, is that there is a meta-social-engineering going on. Here we
    see CERT addressing a first level of social engineering... the thesis.
    Meta-social-engineering uses a system of thesis, antithesis, synthesis
    to create changes in society that society would resist otherwise.
    Suppose that it isn't just random teenage prankster hackers. Suppose it
    isn't just SPAMmers trying to make a few bucks. If there was a
    meta-agenda to all of this, whose would it be, and what purpose would
    it serve?

    In the history of the internet and of computer software, it all began
    with UNIX(TM) and *NIX(generic) which evolved into POSIX, which is most
    popularly implemented as Linux(TM) and FreeBSD and MacOSX(TM). In the
    beginning hackers created the OSs and the server software and the
    client software and an egalitarian linking of those compute-nodes into
    a mesh of information and processing that was contributed to by all and
    available to all. Then, corporate profiteers entered the picture. The
    profiteers prefer to replace egalitarian coparticipation with a
    broadcast model, a server/client model, where they own the channels of
    information dissemination / programming, and the content, and they
    become the SOURCE which therefore has CONTROL of the PROGRAMMING that
    influences the beliefs and choices of the masses, and they get those
    consumers to pay them for the opportunity to be programmed into passive
    fleeced sheeople.

    There is a corporate agenda, the antithesis, to destroy all sense of
    egalitarian computing, and information exchange. Every form of
    computing software and information distribution which is egalitarian in
    nature, which allows "the people" to be source as well as consumer, is
    under attack. Some of it is indeed just random profiteers, the little
    people, abusing the system for their own personal profit... but some of
    it is an active "thesis" of the covert government / military operations
    and the major corporations who own and run planet Ter-Ra, to socially
    engineer distrust of egalitarian communications between the people, in
    other words to destroy the one remaining free press on Ter-Ra.

    Thesis: Terrorists, SPAMmers, Hackers are amok, and you must be
    protected from them by a LARGE solution, a CORPORATE solution... so
    stop using those egalitarian communications channels: they're
    dangerous. If we can't sabotage the channel, will fill it with tons of
    disinformation to destroy any effective communiations of ideas we don't
    want the people to believe in.

    AntiThesis: We, the great corporate NWO, will fix for you on a
    centralized and paid for scale, the problem WE created to drive you to
    trust and pay us instead of freely communicating amongst yourselves.
    COME! Sign up for America OffLine, where you won't be exposed to all
    those subversive messages of freedom, to real people, but will be
    insulated in our Corporate Pablum world of Leave it to Beaver that's
    safe for your kids and safe for your computer... here your software
    that the largest Corporate Empire in the World has intentionally made
    vulnerable won't be infected with those nasty payloads we've been
    generating to sabotage your computer... if you'll just LET US CHOOSE
    what to program your mind with, we'll keep you safe from those
    TERRORISTS out there... the corporate agents, the military / industrial
    agents, the black psy-ops agents, the NSA, the CIA, the FBI, the NWO
    who are creating the terrorism and danger upon the free internet to
    make you choose the solution we offer you. BeepBeep!

    Synthesis: Come to the sanitized broadcast corporate PROGRAMMING version
    of the internet... something that is limited to Interactive TV so you
    can not only witness the world as we want you to see it, but buy it in
    real time. You'll be fully brainwashed with CORPORATE NWO belief
    systems, primarily that you NEED BIG BROTHER to protect you from Big
    Brother's Covert Ops TERRORISTS.

    I Love Big Brother!

    War is Peace
    Ignorance is Strength
    Freedom is Slavery

    Yes, there is definitely some social engineering going on.
    http://www.kahealani.com/articles/matrix.html

    --
    Copyright 2004 Angela Kahealani. All rights reserved without prejudice;
    UCC1-207. All information and transactions are non negotiable and are
    Angela Kahealani, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Angela Kahealani

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:42:33 -1000, Angela Kahealani
    <> wrote:

    <SNIP>

    There is a character in the UK comic magazine VIZ
    called Roger. If questioned on this topic he might well
    say "Bollocks" I'd agree.

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Angela Kahealani

    Pete Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:46:43 +0100, whilst in NewsFroup
    alt.computer.security, Jim Watt <_way> articulated the
    following sentiments :

    >On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:42:33 -1000, Angela Kahealani
    ><> wrote:
    >
    ><SNIP>
    >
    >There is a character in the UK comic magazine VIZ
    >called Roger. If questioned on this topic he might well
    >say "Bollocks" I'd agree.

    I think Finbar Saunders would like that post too :

    ".. a LARGE solution .."

    ".. you won't be exposed to all .."

    ".. Leave it to Beaver .. "

    Fnarr ! Fnarr !

    Pete.
    Pete, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Angela Kahealani

    Ford Prefect Guest

    How did you come up with this crap? A bad drug experience?
    This is some of the most inane rambling I've ever seen on the internet.
    Almost as bad as that idiot Debbie from Washington State who thinks
    she knows about hacking...

    Ford Prefect, Jan 28, 2004
  5. Angela Kahealani

    donutbandit Guest

    Angela Kahealani <> wrote in

    <snip>

    The entire problem with your thesis is that it takes computer illiterates
    for this "social engineering" to work on. Lord knows the world is full of
    them, but they don't have to be.

    Simply not downloading and/or opening email containing unknown attachments
    would make both these worms completely innocuous. This is the simplest
    kindergarten form of computer security consciousness, and the rank and file
    have no excuse not to know about it. Simply watch CNN or any of the other
    news channels and you'll be told exactly what I just said.

    Simply refusing to use Outlook Express would make the computer world 95%
    safer. Forget Windows - Windows is fine without OE and IE as gaping
    security breeches, open to allow exploiters to harm your system.

    Individual ISPs could go a long ways to help protect their subscribers, but
    most don't. It's better to grin, pretend nothing's wrong, and take the
    money.
    donutbandit, Jan 28, 2004
  6. "donutbandit" <> wrote in message
    > Angela Kahealani <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > Simply refusing to use Outlook Express would make the computer world 95%
    > safer. Forget Windows - Windows is fine without OE and IE as gaping
    > security breeches, open to allow exploiters to harm your system.
    >
    > Individual ISPs could go a long ways to help protect their subscribers,

    but
    > most don't. It's better to grin, pretend nothing's wrong, and take the
    > money

    Even more depressing is that these same ISPs seem to spend oodles of time
    "branding" a browser that they don't actually own.. and when a registry key
    a couple of bytes to the left (so to speak) would activate basic security.

    Not sure what that says about mundanes, but it says an awful lot about the
    attitudes of some techies...

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!
    Hairy One Kenobi, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Angela Kahealani

    Ben Measures Guest

    >Angela Kahealani <> wrote in
    >Simply refusing to use Outlook Express would make the computer world 95%
    >safer. Forget Windows - Windows is fine without OE and IE as gaping
    >security breeches, open to allow exploiters to harm your system.

    There are some viruses that can infect your computer without using OE or
    IE. In fact, those are the viruses that have been most sucessful.

    So the only way you can really protect your system is to take it off the
    networks and put it into a room with a locked door.

    Or you can get Antivirus software and update that every day...

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------
    Ben Measures, Jan 30, 2004
  8. In article <WQkSb.1232$>,
    Ben Measures <> wrote:

    > >Angela Kahealani <> wrote in
    > >Simply refusing to use Outlook Express would make the computer world 95%
    > >safer. Forget Windows - Windows is fine without OE and IE as gaping
    > >security breeches, open to allow exploiters to harm your system.

    > There are some viruses that can infect your computer without using OE or
    > IE. In fact, those are the viruses that have been most sucessful.

    There may be some, but the most problems in the past few years have
    indeed come from email worms that depend on OE. Maybe 95% is
    overstating it, but I'd guess it's at least 75%.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Jan 30, 2004
  9. Angela Kahealani

    Ben Measures Guest

    Barry Margolin wrote:
    > In article <WQkSb.1232$>,
    > Ben Measures <> wrote:
    >

    >>>Angela Kahealani <> wrote in
    >>>Simply refusing to use Outlook Express would make the computer world 95%
    >>>safer. Forget Windows - Windows is fine without OE and IE as gaping
    >>>security breeches, open to allow exploiters to harm your system.

    >>There are some viruses that can infect your computer without using OE or
    >>IE. In fact, those are the viruses that have been most sucessful.

    > There may be some, but the most problems in the past few years have
    > indeed come from email worms that depend on OE. Maybe 95% is
    > overstating it, but I'd guess it's at least 75%.

    I regret saying
    > In fact, those are the viruses that have been most sucessful.

    it was wrong. Please allow me to retract it :D

    However the rest of my post still holds true. I was trying to point out
    that Windows isn't "fine" without OE and IE. There are other holes in
    the OS, holes that many viruses have used in the past. If IE and OE
    weren't so good as "computer access gateways", then those holes would
    become much more apparent.

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------

    Ben Measures, Jan 30, 2004
  10. Angela Kahealani

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On 28 Jan 2004 09:24:05 GMT, donutbandit <> put finger to
    keyboard and composed:

    >Simply refusing to use Outlook Express would make the computer world 95%
    >safer.

    .... but only until attention is diverted to the next most popular
    email client. Personally I'm quite happy for the vast bulk of OE users
    to be the primary malware targets.

    - Franc Zabkar
    Franc Zabkar, Jan 31, 2004
  11. Angela Kahealani

    Guest

    Franc Zabkar <> wrote:
    > On 28 Jan 2004 09:24:05 GMT, donutbandit <> put finger to
    > keyboard and composed:

    >>Simply refusing to use Outlook Express would make the computer world 95%
    >>safer.

    > ... but only until attention is diverted to the next most popular
    > email client. Personally I'm quite happy for the vast bulk of OE users
    > to be the primary malware targets.

    The alternative mailreaders are not even close to beeing so bloated
    and cluless. It's not an issue of MS beeing widley used, it's an
    issue of MS OE badly written, overspeced, bloated and doing all
    kind of stuff it should not do.

    'pine' is an example of a mailreader doing what a mailreader is
    supoposed to do ( reading/writing 2822-type messages )

    --
    Peter HÃ¥kanson
    , Jan 31, 2004