sober.a worm problems

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Vincenzo, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. Vincenzo

    Vincenzo Guest

    Hello there!
    I have a client that call me yesterday because her computer was freezing up
    and shutting down by itself. I thought it was a worm ....in fact there were
    26 of them.
    After booting from a disk and running the removal tool from dos, the worm
    was gone. The problem here is that she is running windows ME, and even
    though the worm is gone, and I made here install all the latest patches, the
    computer (sometimes) still freezes ( black screen ,no response, not even
    alt+ctrl+del) . If the worm corrupted the os, what is the best ,non data
    corruptive, solution to fix it? Is there a repair option in the ME install
    cd? Or should I reinstall ME on top.
    Thanks in advance.
    Happy memorial day to all.
    Vince.

    ---

    Vincenzo, Nov 11, 2003

  2. In article <jN7sb.7276$>,
    says...
    > Hello there!
    > I have a client that call me yesterday because her computer was freezing up
    > and shutting down by itself. I thought it was a worm ....in fact there were
    > 26 of them.
    > After booting from a disk and running the removal tool from dos, the worm
    > was gone. The problem here is that she is running windows ME, and even
    > though the worm is gone, and I made here install all the latest patches, the
    > computer (sometimes) still freezes ( black screen ,no response, not even
    > alt+ctrl+del) . If the worm corrupted the os, what is the best ,non data
    > corruptive, solution to fix it? Is there a repair option in the ME install
    > cd? Or should I reinstall ME on top.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Happy memorial day to all.
    > Vince.

    it's a wonder WinME is still running at all. i wouldn't have allowed
    that crapware to run on the machine in the first place, let alone,
    reinstalling it.

    get a decent OS, go back to Win98 if possible, or upgrade to something
    else like Win2k or WinXP and apply all of the patches.... WinME is the
    biggest piece of shit ever produced by Microsoft.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Nov 11, 2003

  3. Vincenzo

    Vincenzo Guest

    I agree about ME. I sucks!!!!!! It came loaded and I tried the upgrade to
    2000 , but due to system incompatibility ( hp pavilion on board sound) It
    didn't worked. Thanks anyway!

    "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > In article <jN7sb.7276$>,
    > says...
    > > Hello there!
    > > I have a client that call me yesterday because her computer was freezing

    up
    > > and shutting down by itself. I thought it was a worm ....in fact there

    were
    > > 26 of them.
    > > After booting from a disk and running the removal tool from dos, the

    worm
    > > was gone. The problem here is that she is running windows ME, and even
    > > though the worm is gone, and I made here install all the latest patches,

    the
    > > computer (sometimes) still freezes ( black screen ,no response, not even
    > > alt+ctrl+del) . If the worm corrupted the os, what is the best ,non data
    > > corruptive, solution to fix it? Is there a repair option in the ME

    install
    > > cd? Or should I reinstall ME on top.
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > > Happy memorial day to all.
    > > Vince.

    > it's a wonder WinME is still running at all. i wouldn't have allowed
    > that crapware to run on the machine in the first place, let alone,
    > reinstalling it.
    >
    > get a decent OS, go back to Win98 if possible, or upgrade to something
    > else like Win2k or WinXP and apply all of the patches.... WinME is the
    > biggest piece of shit ever produced by Microsoft.
    >

    > --
    > Colonel Flagg
    > http://www.internetwarzone.org/
    >
    > Privacy at a click:
    > http://www.cotse.net
    >
    > Q: How many Bill Gates does it take to change a lightbulb?
    > A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."
    >
    > "...I see stupid people."

    ---

    Vincenzo, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Vincenzo

    Chopper Guest

    <snip>

    > it's a wonder WinME is still running at all. i wouldn't have allowed
    > that crapware to run on the machine in the first place, let alone,
    > reinstalling it.
    >
    > get a decent OS, go back to Win98 if possible, or upgrade to something
    > else like Win2k or WinXP and apply all of the patches.... WinME is the
    > biggest piece of shit ever produced by Microsoft.

    <snip>

    Just out of interest, why does everyone hate ME above any other version?
    I've heard a lot of bad press about it since it was released but I've never
    heard any reasons why.

    Chopper, Nov 11, 2003
  5. In article <3fb14ee0$0$264$>,
    says...
    > <snip>
    > >
    > > it's a wonder WinME is still running at all. i wouldn't have allowed
    > > that crapware to run on the machine in the first place, let alone,
    > > reinstalling it.
    > >
    > > get a decent OS, go back to Win98 if possible, or upgrade to something
    > > else like Win2k or WinXP and apply all of the patches.... WinME is the
    > > biggest piece of shit ever produced by Microsoft.
    > >

    > <snip>
    >
    > Just out of interest, why does everyone hate ME above any other version?
    > I've heard a lot of bad press about it since it was released but I've never
    > heard any reasons why.

    everything about it. how many things can you find *good* about it that
    isn't just as *good* as say Win98? so why use it? if it's a driver
    compatibility issue, chances are, Win98 will work with WinME drivers.
    I'd rather rebuild the hardware on a system and MAKE it compatible with
    something else, rather than deal with WinME.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Nov 11, 2003
  6. Vincenzo

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:05:04 -0000, "Chopper" <>
    wrote:

    >Just out of interest, why does everyone hate ME above any other version?
    >I've heard a lot of bad press about it since it was released but I've never
    >heard any reasons why.

    It offers no advantages over win/98 and does things sufficiently
    differently to be confusing. It also seems to more prone to problems
    and whenever I get called in to see one I groan.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Nov 11, 2003
  7. Vincenzo

    Chopper Guest

    "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:05:04 -0000, "Chopper" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Just out of interest, why does everyone hate ME above any other version?
    > >I've heard a lot of bad press about it since it was released but I've

    never
    > >heard any reasons why.

    > It offers no advantages over win/98 and does things sufficiently
    > differently to be confusing. It also seems to more prone to problems
    > and whenever I get called in to see one I groan.
    > --
    > Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    So it's not so much a bad OS as an almost identical OS (to 98) with 'added
    bugs'.
    Think I got ya.

    Thanks

    chopper

    Chopper, Nov 12, 2003
  8. Vincenzo

    Dazz Guest

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:56:42 GMT, "Vincenzo"
    <> wrote:

    >I agree about ME. I sucks!!!!!! It came loaded and I tried the upgrade to
    >2000 , but due to system incompatibility ( hp pavilion on board sound) It
    >didn't worked. Thanks anyway!

    Check the HP website for Win2K drivers.

    I *scored* a HP Pavilion box last year, and they had some Win2k
    drivers on their site so that I could upgrade the OS.

    Definitely worth checking - Windows ME is definitely a piece of shite.

    Dazz

    Dazz, Nov 15, 2003