    the one you could have fun with...

    what are they going to find??
    , Nov 25, 2004

  2. AD. Guest

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 23:16:57 +1300, xx wrote:

    > and wants to start mucking about with your spare pc, the one no one else
    > in the family ever used. the one they would never guess the password too.
    > the one you knew you could surf the web with and not have to worry about
    > exe dialers or blocking web sites to keep mum and the kids from....
    >
    > the one you could have fun with...
    >
    > what are they going to find??

    No doubt some subversive anti-capitalist liberal left wing pinko commie
    activities!

    Does anyone have either Joe McCarthy or Patrick Dunfords phone number
    avaiable? They'll know what to do. Someone has to stand up to these
    terrorists!

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Nov 25, 2004

  3. JedMeister Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > and wants to start mucking about with your spare pc,
    > the one no one else in the family ever used.
    > the one they would never guess the password too.
    > the one you knew you could surf the web with and not have to worry
    > about exe dialers or blocking web sites to keep mum and the kids
    > from....
    >
    > the one you could have fun with...
    >
    > what are they going to find??

    This is inane.
    JedMeister, Nov 25, 2004
  4. EMB Guest

    wrote:
    > and wants to start mucking about with your spare pc,
    > the one no one else in the family ever used.
    > the one they would never guess the password too.
    > the one you knew you could surf the web with and not have to worry
    > about exe dialers or blocking web sites to keep mum and the kids
    > from....
    >
    > the one you could have fun with...
    >
    > what are they going to find??

    After my brother-in-law was killed in a car crash I ended up getting
    into his PC a few months later to set it up so his kids could use it.
    It's a good job he had it fairly well protected - some of the stuff in
    there was certainly not kid suitable, and probably only just legal. It
    certainly changed my view of the person he was!

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 25, 2004
  5. Rob Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > and wants to start mucking about with your spare pc,
    > the one no one else in the family ever used.
    > the one they would never guess the password too.
    > the one you knew you could surf the web with and not have to worry
    > about exe dialers or blocking web sites to keep mum and the kids
    > from....
    >
    > the one you could have fun with...
    >
    > what are they going to find??

    A killfile the size of Africa to stop any posts from "The Revd"
    getting through nz.general.
    Rob, Nov 25, 2004
  6. BrianM Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 08:14:29 +1300, AD. wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 23:16:57 +1300, xx wrote:
    >
    >> and wants to start mucking about with your spare pc, the one no one
    >> else in the family ever used. the one they would never guess the
    >> password too. the one you knew you could surf the web with and not have
    >> to worry about exe dialers or blocking web sites to keep mum and the
    >> kids from....
    >>
    >> the one you could have fun with...
    >>
    >> what are they going to find??

    > No doubt some subversive anti-capitalist liberal left wing pinko commie
    > activities!

    must live in Ch-Ch the place is full of 'em

    BrianM, Nov 26, 2004
  7. On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 23:16:57 +1300, <> wrote in

    > and wants to start mucking about with your spare pc,
    > the one no one else in the family ever used.
    > the one they would never guess the password too.
    > the one you knew you could surf the web with and not have to worry
    > about exe dialers or blocking web sites to keep mum and the kids
    > from....
    >
    > the one you could have fun with...
    >
    > what are they going to find??

    This sounds and smells suspiciously like a thinly-disguised advertising
    thread for some sort of privacy or encryption software.

    --
    Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 26, 2004
  8. AD. Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:11:20 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    >> what are they going to find??

    > This sounds and smells suspiciously like a thinly-disguised advertising
    > thread for some sort of privacy or encryption software.

    So the earlier "getting past a password barrier in linux" thread was part
    of this nefarious scheme also?

    Devious! :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Nov 26, 2004
  9. In <co5n21$8j5$> EMB wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> and wants to start mucking about with your spare pc,
    >> the one no one else in the family ever used.
    >> the one they would never guess the password too.
    >> the one you knew you could surf the web with and not have to worry
    >> about exe dialers or blocking web sites to keep mum and the kids
    >> from....
    >>
    >> the one you could have fun with...
    >>
    >> what are they going to find??

    > After my brother-in-law was killed in a car crash I ended up getting
    > into his PC a few months later to set it up so his kids could use it.
    > It's a good job he had it fairly well protected - some of the stuff in
    > there was certainly not kid suitable, and probably only just legal.
    > It certainly changed my view of the person he was!

    "Close? We're porn buddies."

    "Porn buddies?"

    "Yeah. You see, in the event of Steve's death, the first thing I'll do
    is go straight to his place and remove all the pornography before his
    parents can find it. And he's promised to do the same thing for me.
    That's how close we are."

    "You guys have seriously made arrangements to destroy each other's dirty
    videos?"

    "Who said 'destroy?'"

    ??????? - Jeff explains his friendship with Steve to Susan, "Coupling"

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Nov 26, 2004
  10. On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:04:24 +1300, "AD." <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:11:20 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >
    >>> what are they going to find??

    >> This sounds and smells suspiciously like a thinly-disguised advertising
    >> thread for some sort of privacy or encryption software.

    > So the earlier "getting past a password barrier in linux" thread was part
    > of this nefarious scheme also?
    >
    > Devious! :)

    I have no idea, Anton. Not having the slightest glimmer of interest in
    linux or any of its half-blood offshoots, I am not folowing that thread.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because
    they have to say something.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 26, 2004
  11. AD. Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message

    > I have no idea, Anton. Not having the slightest glimmer of interest in
    > linux or any of its half-blood offshoots, I am not folowing that thread.

    No worries, this thread would've made more sense to someone who had read the
    other one :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Nov 26, 2004
  12. On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 09:17:12 +1300, "AD." <> wrote in

    > "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have no idea, Anton. Not having the slightest glimmer of interest in
    >> linux or any of its half-blood offshoots, I am not folowing that thread.

    > No worries, this thread would've made more sense to someone who had read the
    > other one :)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    Fair comment.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - How much of what we see is caused by what we expect?
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 26, 2004
  13. Guest

    yep it was prompted by the earlier thread, i was hoping to highlight
    the point that if there was anything "important" on the second
    computer the bloke would have made someone else in the family aware of
    it, if with nothing more than a casual "our family history database
    is coming along nicely" , or "the domain name & web site update
    information is all on this cd" , else, as was exemplified, no good
    will come from digging about in a dead bloke's memory.

    but at least the password kept her out while he was alive.....

    Nov 2004 09:17:12 +1300, "AD." <> wrote:

    >"Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have no idea, Anton. Not having the slightest glimmer of interest in
    >> linux or any of its half-blood offshoots, I am not folowing that thread.

    >No worries, this thread would've made more sense to someone who had read the
    >other one :)
    >
    >Cheers
    >Anton

    , Nov 26, 2004
  14. Alex Axolotl Guest

    wrote:
    > yep it was prompted by the earlier thread, i was hoping to highlight
    > the point that if there was anything "important" on the second
    > computer the bloke would have made someone else in the family aware of
    > it, if with nothing more than a casual "our family history database
    > is coming along nicely" , or "the domain name & web site update
    > information is all on this cd" , else, as was exemplified, no good
    > will come from digging about in a dead bloke's memory.
    >
    > but at least the password kept her out while he was alive.....

    Anyone who entrusts their privacy to a computer should be made aware of
    its limitations.
    Alex Axolotl, Nov 26, 2004
  15. steve Guest

    wrote:

    > and wants to start mucking about with your spare pc,
    > the one no one else in the family ever used.
    > the one they would never guess the password too.
    > the one you knew you could surf the web with and not have to worry
    > about exe dialers or blocking web sites to keep mum and the kids
    > from....
    >
    > the one you could have fun with...
    >
    > what are they going to find??

    Hopefully nothing.

    Anyone with any sense would keep stuff they don't want looked at on CDs in
    encrypted form.

    That includes personal documents, files and correspondence.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home
    steve, Dec 1, 2004
  16. steve wrote:
    > Anyone with any sense would keep stuff they don't want looked at on CDs in
    > encrypted form.
    > That includes personal documents, files and correspondence.

    why on CDs?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 1, 2004
  17. It seems like Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:56:02 +1300 was when "Dave -
    Dave.net.nz" <> said Blah blah blah...

    >why on CDs?

    Because then they're on one physical location that's easy to keep
    track of, and easier to destroy if needed?
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
    Waylon Kenning, Dec 1, 2004
  18. Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >>why on CDs?

    > Because then they're on one physical location that's easy to keep
    > track of, and easier to destroy if needed?

    but if they are important documents, shouldn't you have a backup of them?

    I do see your point about having them in one place, but that also leaves
    a single point of failure, which is hardly ever good thing.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 1, 2004
  19. In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >>>why on CDs?

    >> Because then they're on one physical location that's easy to keep
    >> track of, and easier to destroy if needed?

    >but if they are important documents, shouldn't you have a backup of them?
    >
    >I do see your point about having them in one place, but that also leaves
    >a single point of failure, which is hardly ever good thing.

    2 copies in 2 places ?

    Bruce

    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
    dying of nothing.

    -Redd Foxx

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 1, 2004