    JC Guest

    What do you do with it? e.g favourite sites that make Broadband worth
    it. e.g flash, legal music etc.

    JC, May 6, 2005

  2. JC

    Shane Guest

    www.linuxiso.org

    Shane, May 6, 2005

  3. JC

    ~misfit~ Guest

    JC wrote:
    > What do you do with it? e.g favourite sites that make Broadband worth
    > it. e.g flash, legal music etc.

    The idea was for on-line gaming but the latency with UBS makes it not much
    (if at all) better than dial-up. I'd go back but I'm hoping it will be fixed
    (C'mon Commerce Commision!!!) and I've got used to previously
    painful-to-read web pages like Tomshardware loading at a reasonable speed.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 7, 2005
  4. In message <d5gr5r$mgm$>, JC
    <extremebaudremove*@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >What do you do with it? e.g favourite sites that make Broadband worth
    >it. e.g flash, legal music etc.

    Surf and talk on the phone at the same time. The speed is mostly just
    a bonus for us.

    That said, I do find it's very helpful when using LINZ's topomaps -
    they used to be painfully slow. Now they're just slow (on 256k). I
    suspect much of the remaining delay is to do with the server-side
    technology, rather than the download speed. Google's image search is
    noticeably faster too.

    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, May 7, 2005
  5. On Sat, 07 May 2005 10:31:17 +1200, JC wrote:

    > What do you do with it? e.g favourite sites that make Broadband worth
    > it. e.g flash, legal music etc.

    http://www.thepiratebay.org/

    I like to learn Swedish ;-)

    wogers nemesis, May 7, 2005
  6. JC wrote:
    > What do you do with it? e.g favourite sites that make Broadband worth
    > it. e.g flash, legal music etc.

    Games, downloading updates for antivirus, windows update, downloading
    programming tools, flash animations.

    [coughs] MP3s, TV episodes (lost, scrubs), movies [/coughs] :).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, May 7, 2005
  7. JC

    Peter Guest

    JC wrote:
    > What do you do with it? e.g favourite sites that make Broadband worth
    > it. e.g flash, legal music etc.

    Mostly, it is popular for;
    VOIP, cheaper long distance phone calls
    on line games

    but not in NZ, the Telecom system has too much latency.

    Apparently NZ is the only developed country without local loop unbundling,
    and has the worst internet services (ie lack of broadband). Maybe this
    isn't a coincidence?

    Peter

    Peter, May 7, 2005
  8. JC

    Richard Guest

    JC wrote:
    > What do you do with it? e.g favourite sites that make Broadband worth
    > it. e.g flash, legal music etc.

    Best thing is multiple users browsing at once with little effect on each other,

    Mainly used for torrents of TV eps, Album rips (lossless) and the odd cd+g disc

    Richard, May 7, 2005
  9. JC

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "JC" <extremebaudremove*@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What do you do with it? e.g favourite sites that make Broadband worth
    > it. e.g flash, legal music etc.

    Reading Aardvark the other day there is a big lack of NZ broadband content
    would it not make sense. For some Isp's to host a big load of Video content
    that people could stream or download. There are heaps of public domain
    videos available.

    http://www4.archive.org/details/feature_films

    Just need them to be hosted in NZ and count only as "local traffic"

    These are nicely setup, you can download several formats including full mpg2
    suitable for bruning to dvd

    Craig Sutton, May 7, 2005
  10. JC

    JC Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "JC" <extremebaudremove*@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>What do you do with it? e.g favourite sites that make Broadband worth
    >>it. e.g flash, legal music etc.

    > Reading Aardvark the other day there is a big lack of NZ broadband content
    > would it not make sense. For some Isp's to host a big load of Video content
    > that people could stream or download. There are heaps of public domain
    > videos available.
    >
    > http://www4.archive.org/details/feature_films
    >
    > Just need them to be hosted in NZ and count only as "local traffic"
    >
    > These are nicely setup, you can download several formats including full mpg2
    > suitable for bruning to dvd

    I saw the above link in another of your postings, great site too.
    Unfortunately I dont yet have a dvd burner, but when I finish building
    my computer room, I will look into getting one. I have just been
    downloading small files from that site for now.

    JC, May 7, 2005
  11. JC

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > JC wrote:
    >> What do you do with it? e.g favourite sites that make Broadband worth
    >> it. e.g flash, legal music etc.

    > Games, downloading updates for antivirus, windows update, downloading
    > programming tools, flash animations.
    >
    > [coughs] MP3s, TV episodes (lost, scrubs), movies [/coughs] :).

    Bad cough there. ;-) Where do you get the TV episodes? I used to use a
    webpage that linked to eDonkey downloads but it closed down. I'm sick of NZ
    TV stations playing episodes out-of-sequence, or missing episodes out and
    playing them later etc.

    If you prefer email I'm misfitnz with a gmail addy. :)

    TIA
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 7, 2005
  12. "JC" <extremebaudremove*@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What do you do with it? e.g favourite sites that make Broadband worth it.
    > e.g flash, legal music etc.

    Some of my favourite sites are chock-full of pictures like www.terpsboy.com,
    www.barking-moonbat.com and www.sondrak.com that would take ages to view
    using dialup. I regularly watch 300Kbps video clips on www.foxnews.com.
    www.littlegreenfootballs.com is my favourite political blog and receives
    many hundreds of replies to topics a day making it unsuitable for dialup
    users. I often make use of Paradise net's streaming audio page
    http://tinyurl.com/9qryh and love to listen to classical music playing in
    the background (128Kbps). Broadband is also a necessity for online
    gaming -- I normally spend 2-8 hours a weekend playing Half-Life 2:
    Deathmatch or sit back and watch others play CounterStrike: Source. Of
    course there's all the big file downloads, too (250KBps), and software
    updates. All this makes having a broadband account well worth it.

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, May 7, 2005
  13. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Where do you get the TV episodes? I used to use a
    > webpage that linked to eDonkey downloads but it closed down.

    I use Bearshare (But watch it, it comes with SaveNow spyware).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, May 7, 2005
  14. JC

    Mark C Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > Bad cough there. ;-) Where do you get the TV episodes?

    Usenet binary groups.

    Mark C, May 7, 2005
  15. JC

    J.wilson Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >> JC wrote:
    >>> What do you do with it? e.g favourite sites that make Broadband worth
    >>> it. e.g flash, legal music etc.

    >> Games, downloading updates for antivirus, windows update, downloading
    >> programming tools, flash animations.
    >>
    >> [coughs] MP3s, TV episodes (lost, scrubs), movies [/coughs] :).

    > Bad cough there. ;-) Where do you get the TV episodes? I used to use a
    > webpage that linked to eDonkey downloads but it closed down. I'm sick of
    > NZ
    > TV stations playing episodes out-of-sequence, or missing episodes out and
    > playing them later etc.
    >
    > If you prefer email I'm misfitnz with a gmail addy. :)
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Demonoid.com maybe

    J.wilson, May 7, 2005
  16. JC

    A.Poster Guest

    A.Poster, May 7, 2005
  17. I would love broadband - Iconz advertised it waving the 99$ installation fee
    for orders before the end of April. I got in with plenty of time to spare,
    but do I have it? Not on your nelly. Iconz blames Telecom.

    I need the phone on these days. If I am expecting a call I can't use the
    internet on dialup.

    Henry

    Henry Falkner, May 7, 2005
  18. JC

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, May 8, 2005
  19. Nathan Mercer, May 8, 2005
  20. JC

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > A.Poster wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Where do you get the TV episodes?

    >> http://www.btefnet.net/

    >> British progs http://www.uknova.com/

    > Signup...
    > Sorry
    > This site is not open for public use.

    Ahh, ok. I haven't checked them yet. Thanks.

    I used to use ShareTV. They don't even exist now and they were a well set-up
    outfit. For a brief period they had a notice on their page saying they were
    shutting down for legal reasons. :-(
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 8, 2005