    or do you “read” news in print newspapers? — A new word has been
    coined to refer to reading information online, changing the way we
    take in information
    danbloom, Mar 2, 2009

  2. danbloom

    danbloom Guest

    Hearst to launch a wireless e-screener

    The publisher plans to introduce a large-format device for screening
    newspapers and magazines this year based on electronic-ink technology.

    Hearst exec Kenneth Bronfin says that e-screeners "will be a big part
    of our future."

    NEW YORK (March 2)-- Against a backdrop of plummeting ad revenue for
    newspapers and magazines, and rising costs for paper and delivery,
    Hearst Corp., is getting set to launch an electronic screener that it
    hopes can do for periodicals what Amazon's Kindle Screener is doing
    for books.

    According to industry insiders, Hearst, which publishes magazines
    ranging from Cosmopolitan to Esquire and newspapers including the
    financially imperiled San Francisco Chronicle, has developed a
    wireless e-screener with a large-format screen suited to the screening
    and advertising requirements of newspapers and magazines. The device
    and underlying technology, which other publishers will be allowed to
    adapt, is likely to debut this year.

    So-called e-screeners like Kindle and the Sony Screener are hand-held
    gadgets that use electronic "ink" displayed on a crisp, low-power
    screen to deliver an experience that approximates "reading on paper" -
    now called "screening" -- without the cost of paper, printing and
    delivery, which can account for as much as 50% of the cost of putting
    out a periodical.

    Hearst executives declined to provide specifics about the forthcoming
    e-screener, but Kenneth Bronfin, who heads up the interactive media
    group for Hearst, told said in an interview for a forthcoming magazine
    story that the publishing company has a deep expertise in the
    technology. "I can't tell you the details of what we are doing, but I
    can say we are keenly interested in this, and expect these devices
    will be a big part of our future," Bronfin said.

    Bronfin led an investment by Hearst more than a decade ago in E Ink, a
    Cambridge, Mass.-based startup spun out of research at MIT, that
    supplies the electronic-ink technology used in the vast majority of e-
    screeners on the market today, including Amazon's (AMZN, Fortune 500)
    Kindle, devices from Sony (SNY), and a crop of next-generation
    products set to launch in the next 12 to 18 months.

    With print revenue in decline and online revenue unable to fill the
    gap, the $300 billion global publishing industry is increasingly
    looking to devices like e-screeners to lower costs while preserving
    the business model that has sustained newspapers and magazines.

    Insiders familiar with the Hearst device say it has been designed with
    the needs of publishers in mind. That includes its form, which will
    approximate the size of a standard sheet of paper, rather than the six-
    inch diagonal screen found on Kindle, for example. The larger screen
    better approximates the "reading experience of print" periodicals --
    now termed screening -- , as well as giving advertisers the space and
    attention they require.

    Given the evolving state of the technology, the Hearst screener is
    likely to debut in black and white and later transition to high-
    resolution color with the option for video as those displays, now in
    testing phases, get commercialized. Downloading content from
    participating newspapers and magazines will occur wirelessly. For
    durability, the device is likely to have a flexible core, perhaps even
    foldable, rather than the brittle glass substrates used in screeners
    on the market today.

    What Hearst and its partners plan to do is sell the e-screeners to
    publishers and to take a cut of the revenue derived from selling
    magazines and newspapers on these devices. The company will, however,
    leave it to the publishers to develop their own branding and payment
    models. "That's something you will never see Amazon do," someone
    familiar with the Hearst project said. "They aren't going to give up
    control of the devices."

    The question now is, will print readers give up their newspapers and
    magazines for these new newspaper screeners?
    danbloom, Mar 2, 2009

  3. danbloom

    Spamm Trappe Guest

    Re:Re: So You Think You’re Reading - No Dear You’re Screening,,,,,

    On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 18:41:05 -0800 (PST), danbloom wrote:
    > Hearst to launch a wireless e-screener
    >
    > The publisher plans to introduce a large-format device for screening
    > newspapers and magazines this year based on electronic-ink technology.

    And, this has bloody all *what* to do with rec.photo.digital ??

    Oh, I see. sigh... A google groper.
    Spamm Trappe, Mar 2, 2009