    Its quite shamefull.

    Opinions?

    PapaPump.

    PapaPump, Oct 22, 2003

  2. PapaPump

    T.N.O. Guest

    "PapaPump" wrote
    > So apart from Misfit who's already made his intentions clear, anyone else
    > trying to make a quick buck from the MS giveaway the other day?

    ~60 people on trademe... some prior to it's release.

    > What bugs me is people know they dont want or need the software but will
    > deprive someone else who does, only to make a quick buck.

    wait a minute, anyone could have gone down to the stores before him and got
    it... if they didn't thats their problem.

    > These people are
    > no better than the Dick Smith employess who lied and turned customers away
    > at the XP launch so they could grab the freebies and sell them on trademe.
    > Its quite shamefull.
    > Opinions?

    they are better... he has no deceived anyone.

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003

  3. PapaPump

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "PapaPump" <> wrote in message
    > So apart from Misfit who's already made his intentions clear, anyone else
    > trying to make a quick buck from the MS giveaway the other day?
    >
    > What bugs me is people know they dont want or need the software but will
    > deprive someone else who does, only to make a quick buck. These people are
    > no better than the Dick Smith employess who lied and turned customers away
    > at the XP launch so they could grab the freebies and sell them on trademe.
    > Its quite shamefull.
    >
    > Opinions?
    >
    > PapaPump.

    Now you'd have to be very careful with your claims there. Was it all Dick
    Smith employees doing it, or just the ones at a certain Dick Smith store?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 22, 2003
  4. PapaPump

    PapaPump Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "PapaPump" wrote
    > > So apart from Misfit who's already made his intentions clear, anyone

    else
    > > trying to make a quick buck from the MS giveaway the other day?

    > ~60 people on trademe... some prior to it's release.

    Dosen't send a good message to anyone giving away free software does it.

    > > What bugs me is people know they dont want or need the software but will
    > > deprive someone else who does, only to make a quick buck.

    > wait a minute, anyone could have gone down to the stores before him and

    got
    > it... if they didn't thats their problem.

    So what your saying is that 5 people could have stood outside the shop with
    signs above their heads saying "Were gonna sell our free copies to the
    highest bidder" and you'd be ok with that?

    > > These people are
    > > no better than the Dick Smith employess who lied and turned customers

    away
    > > at the XP launch so they could grab the freebies and sell them on

    trademe.
    > > Its quite shamefull.
    > > Opinions?

    > they are better... he has no deceived anyone.

    They're giveways for people to use, not sell to make a profit. If they dont
    want them why did they get them? Why can't they give them away to someone
    else for nothing if they dont want the software? They wont because they had
    the clear intention of taking a copy before anyone else and selling it for
    their gain.

    PapaPump.

    PapaPump, Oct 22, 2003
  5. PapaPump

    harry Guest

    "PapaPump" <> wrote in message
    > So apart from Misfit who's already made his intentions clear, anyone else
    > trying to make a quick buck from the MS giveaway the other day?
    >
    > What bugs me is people know they dont want or need the software but will
    > deprive someone else who does, only to make a quick buck. These people are
    > no better than the Dick Smith employess who lied and turned customers away
    > at the XP launch so they could grab the freebies and sell them on trademe.
    > Its quite shamefull.
    >
    > Opinions?

    You really want them ?
    Go bite your bum you santimonious t**t

    harry, Oct 22, 2003
  6. PapaPump

    T.N.O. Guest

    "PapaPump" wrote
    > So what your saying is that 5 people could have stood outside the shop

    with
    > signs above their heads saying "Were gonna sell our free copies to the
    > highest bidder" and you'd be ok with that?

    yeah, at least they honest... much like misfit here.

    > They're giveways for people to use, not sell to make a profit. If they

    dont
    > want them why did they get them?

    I got offered a free car a couple of years ago, I took it because it was
    offered, not because I needed it.
    I then sold it for a couple of hundred $$$

    > Why can't they give them away to someone
    > else for nothing if they dont want the software? They wont because they

    had
    > the clear intention of taking a copy before anyone else and selling it for
    > their gain.

    It doesnt matter what we say, you seem to have made up your mind.

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003
  7. PapaPump

    PapaPump Guest

    "harry" <> wrote in message

    > "PapaPump" <> wrote in message
    > > So apart from Misfit who's already made his intentions clear, anyone

    else
    > > trying to make a quick buck from the MS giveaway the other day?
    > >
    > > What bugs me is people know they dont want or need the software but will
    > > deprive someone else who does, only to make a quick buck. These people

    are
    > > no better than the Dick Smith employess who lied and turned customers

    away
    > > at the XP launch so they could grab the freebies and sell them on

    trademe.
    > > Its quite shamefull.
    > >
    > > Opinions?
    > >

    > You really want them ?
    > Go bite your bum you santimonious t**t

    Get fucked cock, I asked for opinions on the subject, not abuse from small
    dicked wankers like yourself.

    And BTW, I have a copy myself so dont pull the bitter twisted option.

    PapaPump.

    PapaPump, Oct 22, 2003
  8. "PapaPump" <> wrote in message
    > So apart from Misfit who's already made his intentions clear, anyone else
    > trying to make a quick buck from the MS giveaway the other day?
    >
    > What bugs me is people know they dont want or need the software but will
    > deprive someone else who does, only to make a quick buck. These people are
    > no better than the Dick Smith employess who lied and turned customers away
    > at the XP launch so they could grab the freebies and sell them on trademe.
    > Its quite shamefull.
    >
    > Opinions?
    >
    > PapaPump.

    And if they were giving away $1100 cash and you were there? I think you'd
    take it if you were offered, even though others might need it more than you.

    And like the other guy said, it's different to Dick Smith employees who lie
    and deceive. Note the lack of lies and deceit on Misfit's part.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Oct 22, 2003
  9. PapaPump

    harry Guest

    "PapaPump" <> wrote in message

    > "harry" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "PapaPump" <> wrote in message
    > > > So apart from Misfit who's already made his intentions clear, anyone

    > else
    > > > trying to make a quick buck from the MS giveaway the other day?
    > > >
    > > > What bugs me is people know they dont want or need the software but

    will
    > > > deprive someone else who does, only to make a quick buck. These people

    > are
    > > > no better than the Dick Smith employess who lied and turned customers

    > away
    > > > at the XP launch so they could grab the freebies and sell them on

    > trademe.
    > > > Its quite shamefull.
    > > >
    > > > Opinions?
    > > >

    > > You really want them ?
    > > Go bite your bum you santimonious t**t

    > Get fucked cock, I asked for opinions on the subject, not abuse from small
    > dicked wankers like yourself.
    >
    > And BTW, I have a copy myself so dont pull the bitter twisted option.
    >
    > PapaPump.

    Feel free to sell it any time you like then.
    Its yours, you own it, you can do what you like with it whether Microsoft
    gave it to you or sold it to you.
    Get it yet ?
    The sanctimonious bit I really mean, you should take a long hard look at
    yourself.
    You are obviously not able to bite your bum

    harry, Oct 22, 2003
  10. In article <6vClb.187231$>,
    says...
    > So apart from Misfit who's already made his intentions clear, anyone else
    > trying to make a quick buck from the MS giveaway the other day?

    More than a buck.

    > What bugs me is people know they dont want or need the software but will
    > deprive someone else who does, only to make a quick buck.

    Oh pull the other one. I didn't push in front of any starving orphans
    to get my copy. MS didn't organise this giveaway to help bring better
    wordprocessing and spreadsheet capabilities to the poor and
    underpriviliged - if somebody needs a copy then they can bloody well
    buy it like 99.9% of the rest of the world has to. In fact, if they're
    smart they'll buy one off trademe and make a considerable saving off the
    retail price.

    > These people are
    > no better than the Dick Smith employess who lied and turned customers away
    > at the XP launch so they could grab the freebies and sell them on trademe.
    > Its quite shamefull.

    Not really. The DSE staff knew damn well they weren't supposed to keep
    those copies for themselves, and they balatantly lied to try and cover
    it up.

    Angus McScotch, Oct 22, 2003
  11. PapaPump

    cowboyz Guest

    "PapaPump" <> wrote in message

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > > "PapaPump" wrote
    > > > So apart from Misfit who's already made his intentions clear, anyone

    > else
    > > > trying to make a quick buck from the MS giveaway the other day?

    > > ~60 people on trademe... some prior to it's release.

    > Dosen't send a good message to anyone giving away free software does it.
    >

    > > > What bugs me is people know they dont want or need the software but

    will
    > > > deprive someone else who does, only to make a quick buck.

    > > wait a minute, anyone could have gone down to the stores before him and

    > got
    > > it... if they didn't thats their problem.

    > So what your saying is that 5 people could have stood outside the shop

    with
    > signs above their heads saying "Were gonna sell our free copies to the
    > highest bidder" and you'd be ok with that?
    >

    > > > These people are
    > > > no better than the Dick Smith employess who lied and turned customers

    > away
    > > > at the XP launch so they could grab the freebies and sell them on

    > trademe.
    > > > Its quite shamefull.
    > > > Opinions?

    > > they are better... he has no deceived anyone.
    > >

    > They're giveways for people to use, not sell to make a profit. If they

    dont
    > want them why did they get them? Why can't they give them away to someone
    > else for nothing if they dont want the software? They wont because they

    had
    > the clear intention of taking a copy before anyone else and selling it for
    > their gain.
    >
    > PapaPump.

    You were 6th weren't you?

    cowboyz, Oct 23, 2003
  12. PapaPump

    sal Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:19:20 +1300, "PapaPump" <>
    wrote:

    >So apart from Misfit who's already made his intentions clear, anyone else
    >trying to make a quick buck from the MS giveaway the other day?
    >
    >What bugs me is people know they dont want or need the software but will
    >deprive someone else who does, only to make a quick buck. These people are
    >no better than the Dick Smith employess who lied and turned customers away
    >at the XP launch so they could grab the freebies and sell them on trademe.
    >Its quite shamefull.
    >
    >Opinions?
    >
    >PapaPump.

    Yes it pisses me off, as I was one of those who just missed out. MS
    should have branded it with a big red sticker, saying that it was
    originally free as a marketing excercise, and not to onsell it, or it
    will breach the T&Cs, and it will be unusable.

    sal, Oct 23, 2003
  13. PapaPump

    Worm Guest

    "sal" <> wrote in message

    > Yes it pisses me off, as I was one of those who just missed out. MS
    > should have branded it with a big red sticker, saying that it was
    > originally free as a marketing excercise, and not to onsell it, or it
    > will breach the T&Cs, and it will be unusable.

    Ohhhhhh, I can see THAT being an effective deterrent! Has their T&C stopped
    the mass pirating of their software already? Err, I'd imagine not.

    Worm

    Worm, Oct 23, 2003
  14. PapaPump

    sal Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:59:17 +1300, "Worm"
    <> wrote:

    >"sal" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Yes it pisses me off, as I was one of those who just missed out. MS
    >> should have branded it with a big red sticker, saying that it was
    >> originally free as a marketing excercise, and not to onsell it, or it
    >> will breach the T&Cs, and it will be unusable.

    >Ohhhhhh, I can see THAT being an effective deterrent! Has their T&C stopped
    >the mass pirating of their software already? Err, I'd imagine not.
    >

    >Worm

    Having a big red sticker on the front would though saying 'not to be
    resold' I am sure would make a difference to people selling 'brand new
    shrink wrapped copies on the net. . I see that hardly anyone is
    putting in bids on trade me which is good (maybe also because no one
    sees a need to upgrade).

    sal, Oct 23, 2003
  15. PapaPump

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "PapaPump" <> wrote in message
    > So apart from Misfit who's already made his intentions clear, anyone else
    > trying to make a quick buck from the MS giveaway the other day?

    I notice you use the word 'giveaway'. Anything you are given is yours, to do
    with as you wish. As you rightly said, I made my intentions clear, nothing
    under-handed about it.

    > What bugs me is people know they dont want or need the software but will
    > deprive someone else who does, only to make a quick buck.

    But I did need the software. I need it to sell.

    > These people are
    > no better than the Dick Smith employess who lied and turned customers away
    > at the XP launch so they could grab the freebies and sell them on trademe.
    > Its quite shamefull.
    >
    > Opinions?

    You asked for it. The Dick Smith empoyees were guilty of a crime and could
    have been punished in a court of law. This giveaway was specifically for the
    first five customers through the door. Notice the word 'customers' in that
    sentence. I actually bought something while I was there, only a box of CDRs
    but I felt that, if I were to be a customer then I should. Did you? Or were
    you just there for the software?

    You also mention the word 'freebies'. As in free. Mine to do with as I wish.
    If Microsoft's intention was that the people who were dilligent enough to
    take advantage of their offer had to keep and use the software themselves
    then they would have made you sign up for activation on the spot, or sign an
    agreement that you weren't allowed to on-sell it. They did niether. The
    intent of the giveaway was to raise the profile of their software and to get
    copies 'out there'. It worked admirably and I thank Microsoft New Zealand
    for this generous offer.

    You say I am no better than Dick Smith employees who lied? You sir are
    jumping to erronous conslusions. Not once did I lie and yet you call me a
    liar? I wonder which of us is the most truthful.

    What about (as mention yesterday in this newsgroup) the guy who someone saw
    who went into a shop to buy a power-lead and was given the software,
    although he didn't even know what it was? If he didn't own a computer is he
    now obliged to buy one so he can use it? Or, as it was free, is it his to do
    with as he pleases?

    I believe you need to think less and go back to whatever it is you do best.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 23, 2003
  16. PapaPump

    T.N.O. Guest

    "~misfit~" wrote
    > But I did need the software. I need it to sell.

    Just to be a pedantic arse like Mr Pump... "I hope your going to declare the
    price you sell it for to Winz as earnings"

    sorry, just had to.

    T.N.O., Oct 23, 2003
  17. PapaPump

    rookie Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "~misfit~" wrote
    > > But I did need the software. I need it to sell.

    > Just to be a pedantic arse like Mr Pump... "I hope your going to declare

    the
    > price you sell it for to Winz as earnings"
    >
    > sorry, just had to.

    As it would be considered a prize or a gift, the sale of the item would not
    be considered income.

    rookie, Oct 23, 2003
  18. PapaPump

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "sal" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:19:20 +1300, "PapaPump" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >So apart from Misfit who's already made his intentions clear, anyone else
    > >trying to make a quick buck from the MS giveaway the other day?
    > >
    > >What bugs me is people know they dont want or need the software but will
    > >deprive someone else who does, only to make a quick buck. These people

    are
    > >no better than the Dick Smith employess who lied and turned customers

    away
    > >at the XP launch so they could grab the freebies and sell them on

    trademe.
    > >Its quite shamefull.
    > >
    > >Opinions?
    > >
    > >PapaPump.
    > >

    > Yes it pisses me off, as I was one of those who just missed out. MS
    > should have branded it with a big red sticker, saying that it was
    > originally free as a marketing excercise, and not to onsell it, or it
    > will breach the T&Cs, and it will be unusable.

    I feel for you. Maybe you should have been as commited as I was and got
    there earlier. As MS didn't do what you outlined above then the point is
    moot is it not?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 23, 2003
  19. PapaPump

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "rookie" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > > "~misfit~" wrote
    > > > But I did need the software. I need it to sell.

    > > Just to be a pedantic arse like Mr Pump... "I hope your going to declare

    > the
    > > price you sell it for to Winz as earnings"
    > >
    > > sorry, just had to.

    > As it would be considered a prize or a gift, the sale of the item would

    not
    > be considered income.

    Exactly.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 23, 2003
  20. PapaPump

    Robyn Nunn Guest

    wrote:

    >So apart from Misfit who's already made his intentions clear, anyone else
    >trying to make a quick buck from the MS giveaway the other day?
    >
    >What bugs me is people know they dont want or need the software but will
    >deprive someone else who does, only to make a quick buck.

    What difference is there to someone who wins a competition and sells
    the prize for money? Or look at gameshows - I'm sure a large
    proportion of the prizes won are offerred for sale.

    I know of someone who has won 2 cars at the Sky Casino and promptly
    sold them both immediately. Are you saying that he shouldn't have won
    the car but left it for someone who would actually use it?

    >These people are
    >no better than the Dick Smith employess who lied and turned customers away
    >at the XP launch so they could grab the freebies and sell them on trademe.
    >Its quite shamefull.

    Agreed here (if it actually happened - probably in isolated cases).

    Robyn Nunn, Oct 23, 2003