So which ISP is in fashion today? My ihug is slow....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by poopbunny, Oct 25, 2006.

  1. poopbunny

    poopbunny Guest

    It's so bad even my gaming traffic is stuffed.
    - frequent disconnections.
    - poor latency

    I'll be lucky to get anymore than 6kb on P2P

    According to their FAQ only Web & email gets priority, so looks like they
    might be shaping my gaming traffic.

    So bad I'm even having trouble getting anywhere close to the 50% 20gb cap I
    paid for.

    All this advertising about new plans, new speeds etc... is all moot I you
    can't even attain anywhere close to the cap I paid.

    So which is a good ISP these days...?

    Orcon?

    poopbunny, Oct 25, 2006

  2. poopbunny

    MarkH Guest

    "poopbunny" <> wrote in news:ehngp3$rpu$:

    > It's so bad even my gaming traffic is stuffed.
    > - frequent disconnections.
    > - poor latency
    >
    > I'll be lucky to get anymore than 6kb on P2P
    >
    > According to their FAQ only Web & email gets priority, so looks like
    > they might be shaping my gaming traffic.
    >
    > So bad I'm even having trouble getting anywhere close to the 50% 20gb
    > cap I paid for.
    >
    > All this advertising about new plans, new speeds etc... is all moot I
    > you can't even attain anywhere close to the cap I paid.
    >
    > So which is a good ISP these days...?
    >
    > Orcon?

    Orcon is alright, but also running slow for the last few months. I am on
    the 3.5MB/.5MB plan with 60GB and I have no problem getting to my 60GB
    limit (59GB for the last 3 months).

    Theoretically I should regularly see over 400KB/s, especially outside of
    the 5pm to 12am peak times, but I hardly ever see 100KB/s.

    I have been onsite with customers that are connected with Xtra and their
    speed seems to be no better. Now Xtra will offer an unlimited full speed
    plan for $50, as far as getting even a reasonable speed, colour me
    skeptical.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 25, 2006

  3. poopbunny

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 00:12:37 +1300, "poopbunny" <> wrote:

    >It's so bad even my gaming traffic is stuffed.
    >- frequent disconnections.
    >- poor latency
    >
    >I'll be lucky to get anymore than 6kb on P2P
    >
    >According to their FAQ only Web & email gets priority, so looks like they
    >might be shaping my gaming traffic.
    >
    >So bad I'm even having trouble getting anywhere close to the 50% 20gb cap I
    >paid for.

    I'm on ihug and don't have any problems. Are you sure it's not your equipment
    or that your local exchange is overloaded? That gets shared between users
    irrelevant of the ISP they're on, so even if you move ISP's you're still
    screwed.

    Craig Shore, Oct 25, 2006
  4. poopbunny

    XPD Guest

    "poopbunny" <> wrote in message
    > It's so bad even my gaming traffic is stuffed.
    > - frequent disconnections.
    > - poor latency

    Youll probably go thru every ISP available and still have the same problem
    as its most likely your exchange causing the issue. Especially if theres
    quite a lot of other users around you on the same exchange.

    XPD, Oct 25, 2006
  5. poopbunny

    IRO Guest

    In article <k1I%g.24133$>,
    MarkH <> wrote:

    > I have been onsite with customers that are connected with Xtra and their
    > speed seems to be no better. Now Xtra will offer an unlimited full speed
    > plan for $50, as far as getting even a reasonable speed, colour me
    > skeptical.

    I gather Countdown are going to start selling apples in bags of "up to
    1kg". They could be 999g or they could be 100g. You will have no
    opportunity to test the bag prior to buying it and will not be permitted
    to go to PaknSave until next year, with no assurance that they won't be
    doing the same.

    If you complain, they'll blame it on the fruit grower, but if you
    contact the fruit grower he'll say "we don't deal with that, talk to
    your supermarket".

    --
    ~IRO
    (enzed = nz)

    IRO, Oct 25, 2006
  6. poopbunny

    Who Am I Guest

    In article <k1I%g.24133$>,
    MarkH <> wrote:

    > I have been onsite with customers that are connected with Xtra and their
    > speed seems to be no better. Now Xtra will offer an unlimited full speed
    > plan for $50, as far as getting even a reasonable speed, colour me
    > skeptical.

    I am with Xtra and are looking at shifting. Other ISPs offer better
    options with email addresses, web space and so on. Better yet if the
    other ISPs become bigger they will be able to offer better plans as
    telecom will be less able to dictate the market.

    Who Am I, Oct 25, 2006
  7. poopbunny

    Earl Grey Guest

    IRO wrote:
    > In article <k1I%g.24133$>,
    > MarkH <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have been onsite with customers that are connected with Xtra and their
    >> speed seems to be no better. Now Xtra will offer an unlimited full speed
    >> plan for $50, as far as getting even a reasonable speed, colour me
    >> skeptical.

    > I gather Countdown are going to start selling apples in bags of "up to
    > 1kg". They could be 999g or they could be 100g. You will have no
    > opportunity to test the bag prior to buying it and will not be permitted
    > to go to PaknSave until next year, with no assurance that they won't be
    > doing the same.
    >
    > If you complain, they'll blame it on the fruit grower, but if you
    > contact the fruit grower he'll say "we don't deal with that, talk to
    > your supermarket".

    Oversubscription is how telcos keep prices down in telcoland though.
    Its like a flat rate to pick your own.
    You can buy guaranteed capacity, thats what the isps do, then they sign
    us up as subscribers because we won't all be using it at once.
    Most utilities work that way, if we all turned our taps on the water
    system would have a hard job keeping up. ( Its a series of tubes, after
    all !)
    The problem is that with a limit on network capacity, if you want to
    drop the price further, you need even more subscribers.
    As long as there is only one backhaul network provider for the isps to
    deal with, we will all be subscribing to the same limited capacity tubes.

    Its not a bag of apples.
    Or a big truck.

    :)

    Earl Grey, Oct 25, 2006
  8. poopbunny

    IRO Guest

    In article <>, Earl Grey <> wrote:

    > As long as there is only one backhaul network provider for the isps to
    > deal with, we will all be subscribing to the same limited capacity tubes.
    >
    > Its not a bag of apples.
    > Or a big truck.

    Fine, so long as they advertise more realistic rates. Or even a range.
    At the moment there's nothing to stop someone offering 100TB/s
    downloads, it's no more unattainable to someone who's struggling to
    reach dialup speeds.

    Or maybe they could offer a rate that varies according to the download
    speed as well as the volume.
    --
    ~IRO
    (enzed = nz)

    IRO, Oct 26, 2006
  9. poopbunny

    MarkH Guest

    Who Am I <> wrote in

    > In article <k1I%g.24133$>,
    > MarkH <> wrote:
    >

    >> I have been onsite with customers that are connected with Xtra and
    >> their speed seems to be no better. Now Xtra will offer an unlimited
    >> full speed plan for $50, as far as getting even a reasonable speed,
    >> colour me skeptical.

    > I am with Xtra and are looking at shifting. Other ISPs offer better
    > options with email addresses, web space and so on. Better yet if the
    > other ISPs become bigger they will be able to offer better plans as
    > telecom will be less able to dictate the market.

    Better options for E-Mail addresses are available at GMail - better than
    what Xtra give you that’s for sure.

    I don't use Orcon for Web space or for E-Mail, I just want an internet
    connection that I can use as much as I want and at a reasonable speed.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 26, 2006
  10. poopbunny

    Earl Grey Guest

    IRO wrote:
    > In article <>, Earl Grey <> wrote:
    >
    >> As long as there is only one backhaul network provider for the isps to
    >> deal with, we will all be subscribing to the same limited capacity tubes.
    >>
    >> Its not a bag of apples.
    >> Or a big truck.

    > Fine, so long as they advertise more realistic rates. Or even a range.
    > At the moment there's nothing to stop someone offering 100TB/s
    > downloads, it's no more unattainable to someone who's struggling to
    > reach dialup speeds.
    >
    > Or maybe they could offer a rate that varies according to the download
    > speed as well as the volume.

    Have you read xtra's explanation of what they are offering ?
    It seems fairly upfront

    http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,8763,204576-203090,00.html?nv=sd

    Earl Grey, Oct 26, 2006
  11. T'was the Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:18:56 +1300 when I remembered Earl Grey
    <> saying something like this:

    >Oversubscription is how telcos keep prices down in telcoland though.

    Doesn't really work in restaurants though. Here, you can have up to a
    plate full of food, however, if we don't have enough food we'll still
    charge you the full price, we'll just give you less food than you paid
    for. Having said that, you're lucky, because if you read our Terms and
    Conditions you'll see that technically you're lucky if you get food at
    all. And if you don't like it, then you can give us some more money
    and see what other restaurants are like.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 26, 2006
  12. poopbunny

    Earl Grey Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:18:56 +1300 when I remembered Earl Grey
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> Oversubscription is how telcos keep prices down in telcoland though.

    > Doesn't really work in restaurants though. Here, you can have up to a
    > plate full of food, however, if we don't have enough food we'll still
    > charge you the full price, we'll just give you less food than you paid
    > for. Having said that, you're lucky, because if you read our Terms and
    > Conditions you'll see that technically you're lucky if you get food at
    > all. And if you don't like it, then you can give us some more money
    > and see what other restaurants are like.

    In fact its exactly what restaurants are doing, sharing out the services
    of kitchen staff, waiters, and premises and providing services
    concurrently to all their patrons.
    When the place is busy, you might have to wait a bit longer for your
    meal, there might even be a queue to get served, and you might have to
    wait for a table.

    Earl Grey, Oct 26, 2006
  13. poopbunny

    Who Am I Guest

    In article <bWT%g.33229$>,
    MarkH <> wrote:

    > Who Am I <> wrote in
    >
    > > In article <k1I%g.24133$>,
    > > MarkH <> wrote:
    > >

    > >> I have been onsite with customers that are connected with Xtra and
    > >> their speed seems to be no better. Now Xtra will offer an unlimited
    > >> full speed plan for $50, as far as getting even a reasonable speed,
    > >> colour me skeptical.

    > > I am with Xtra and are looking at shifting. Other ISPs offer better
    > > options with email addresses, web space and so on. Better yet if the
    > > other ISPs become bigger they will be able to offer better plans as
    > > telecom will be less able to dictate the market.

    > Better options for E-Mail addresses are available at GMail - better than
    > what Xtra give you that’s for sure.
    >
    > I don't use Orcon for Web space or for E-Mail, I just want an internet
    > connection that I can use as much as I want and at a reasonable speed.

    I have Gmail account(s) and in 6 months I have had 2 spams, where as
    with Xtra I get up to 10 a day.

    I am looking seriously at slingshot as they seem to have the best
    options for upgrading the amount of data I use (school holidays comming
    up with 3 teens at home... sigh)

    Who Am I, Oct 29, 2006