so what does IE or any of the IE shells have over firefox ? (any anti firefox ppl bother looking at

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by *ProteanThread*, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. *ProteanThread*, Sep 23, 2004

  2. *ProteanThread*

    badgolferman Guest

    *ProteanThread* wrote:
    > *CURIOUS*

    1) The "click" sound.
    2) Toolbar Mail Button>>Send Page
    badgolferman, Sep 23, 2004

  3. *ProteanThread*

    Mike Fedyk Guest

    Re: so what does IE or any of the IE shells have over firefox ? (anyanti firefox ppl bother looking at recent plugins available?)

    badgolferman wrote:

    >*ProteanThread* wrote:
    >

    >>*CURIOUS*
    >>

    >1) The "click" sound.
    >2) Toolbar Mail Button>>Send Page

    Firefox has "Send Link" and the suite has "Send Link" and "Send Page".

    The lack of "Send Page" in the Firefox/TB combo is keeping me from
    switching her to FF/TB from the suite.

    Seriously, she uses it so heavily that it's a show stopper issue.
    Mike Fedyk, Sep 23, 2004
  4. *ProteanThread*

    Mike Fedyk, Sep 23, 2004
  5. *ProteanThread*

    scratch Guest

    *ProteanThread* wrote:

    > *CURIOUS*

    Ability to render sites designed by incompetent web designers.

    -scratch
    scratch, Sep 23, 2004
  6. Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum, Sep 23, 2004
  7. *ProteanThread*

    DuduDisaster Guest

    Ability to run sites coded to IE and only IE.

    Just converted one more person today. It is amazing people's reaction
    when they see tab browsing for the first time. And bookmarks, and the
    extesions, etc, etc,etc.

    DuduDisaster, Sep 23, 2004
  8. Re: so what does IE or any of the IE shells have over firefox ? (anyanti firefox ppl bother looking at recent plugins available?)

    DuduDisaster wrote:

    > Ability to run sites coded to IE and only IE.
    >
    > Just converted one more person today. It is amazing people's reaction
    > when they see tab browsing for the first time. And bookmarks, and the
    > extesions, etc, etc,etc.

    And don't forget the pop-up blocker. I've had a few conversions just
    for that.

    Andreas

    Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum, Sep 23, 2004
  9. *ProteanThread*

    Moz Champion Guest

    Re: so what does IE or any of the IE shells have over firefox ? (anyanti firefox ppl bother looking at recent plugins available?)

    Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum wrote:

    > DuduDisaster wrote:
    >
    >> Ability to run sites coded to IE and only IE.
    >>
    >> Just converted one more person today. It is amazing people's reaction
    >> when they see tab browsing for the first time. And bookmarks, and the
    >> extesions, etc, etc,etc.
    >>

    > And don't forget the pop-up blocker. I've had a few conversions just
    > for that.
    >
    > Andreas
    >
    >> Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum wrote:

    >>> More security problems
    >>>
    >>> Andreas
    >>> --
    >>> Information wanted: http://www.ltinc.net/sass/
    >>>
    >>> Panjandrum -- http://www.bartleby.com/61/47/P0044700.html
    >>>
    >>> To contact me remove the NOSPAM

    You forgot the main reason most people use IE or other MS products. It
    came with the machine. It was there so they used it. Its only when they
    find out there are other products (and better! products) that they switch.

    When most people start up their computer for the first time, its
    configured to use IE as the web browser, not Firefox or Mozilla or
    another product. Its what users see first, and thats about the only
    thing it has 'over' Firefox

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Sep 24, 2004
  10. Re: so what does IE or any of the IE shells have over firefox ? (anyanti firefox ppl bother looking at recent plugins available?)

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum wrote:
    >
    >> DuduDisaster wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ability to run sites coded to IE and only IE.
    >>>
    >>> Just converted one more person today. It is amazing people's reaction
    >>> when they see tab browsing for the first time. And bookmarks, and the
    >>> extesions, etc, etc,etc.
    >>>

    >> And don't forget the pop-up blocker. I've had a few conversions just
    >> for that.
    >>
    >> Andreas

    > You forgot the main reason most people use IE or other MS products. It
    > came with the machine. It was there so they used it. Its only when they
    > find out there are other products (and better! products) that they switch.
    >
    > When most people start up their computer for the first time, its
    > configured to use IE as the web browser, not Firefox or Mozilla or
    > another product. Its what users see first, and thats about the only
    > thing it has 'over' Firefox

    When I first started out, I didn't know anything. I first used Telenet
    to login into my Vancouver Community Network account and browsed the web
    that way -- using their Pine and something else. I can't remember.
    Then, when I upgraded to full dial-up access, my ISP asked me if I had a
    browser to access the net. I was using Win98 at the time and said no.
    So they gave me a disk with Netscape 4 point something on it. Today,
    when I have troubles with my connections, and I call my ISP, they ask me
    what am I using. I say Mozilla, and they ask which one -- the Suite,
    FireFox, or even Thunderbird. So, atleast my ISP knows whats going on
    and they have a response cause they DO support Net and Moz, compared to
    others that only support IE or OE.

    Andreas

    Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum, Sep 24, 2004
  11. *ProteanThread*

    Moz Champion Guest

    Re: so what does IE or any of the IE shells have over firefox ? (anyanti firefox ppl bother looking at recent plugins available?)

    Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum wrote:

    >>> And don't forget the pop-up blocker. I've had a few conversions just
    >>> for that.
    >>>
    >>> Andreas

    >> You forgot the main reason most people use IE or other MS products. It
    >> came with the machine. It was there so they used it. Its only when
    >> they find out there are other products (and better! products) that
    >> they switch.
    >>
    >> When most people start up their computer for the first time, its
    >> configured to use IE as the web browser, not Firefox or Mozilla or
    >> another product. Its what users see first, and thats about the only
    >> thing it has 'over' Firefox
    >>

    > When I first started out, I didn't know anything. I first used Telenet
    > to login into my Vancouver Community Network account and browsed the web
    > that way -- using their Pine and something else. I can't remember.
    > Then, when I upgraded to full dial-up access, my ISP asked me if I had a
    > browser to access the net. I was using Win98 at the time and said no.
    > So they gave me a disk with Netscape 4 point something on it. Today,
    > when I have troubles with my connections, and I call my ISP, they ask me
    > what am I using. I say Mozilla, and they ask which one -- the Suite,
    > FireFox, or even Thunderbird. So, atleast my ISP knows whats going on
    > and they have a response cause they DO support Net and Moz, compared to
    > others that only support IE or OE.
    >
    > Andreas

    Well, you are the exception to the rule. By and large, over 60% of users
    on the internet today have never known anything but Windows with IE
    built in.

    They didnt have to worry about Telnet, or FTP, or Anarchy, or other
    search engines, or things like Fetch, or Pine or anyone of the hundreds
    of other products that once were popular. They turned their machine on,
    and IE was there (and O or OE as well usually).

    'Do not support' is simply saying that they are unable to assist users
    with those products. At least they are honest <g>. Being a machead
    (yea, one of those) I've run into that more often than not, yet have
    never really been stymied at doing anything.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Sep 24, 2004
  12. *ProteanThread*

    toad Guest

    "*ProteanThread*" <> wrote in

    > *CURIOUS*

    As I recall, Firefox tab management (when you get a new tab and when you
    don't) isn't very impressive. Also, I don't recall it having cleanup on
    close in which cookies, cache, history would be cleaned automatically (I
    could be wrong as it has been while since I have used it). Interfacing
    to alternate download managers like WinGet or Download Express is
    another feature I don't recall it having.

    Personally, I like GreenBrowser as it has all of these features and is
    slightly more refined than MyIE2 which is based off the same code base
    (the original MyIE).

    Toad
    toad, Oct 20, 2004
  13. *ProteanThread*

    Hermit Guest

    I have been trying Maxthon, the 'new' IE2, and it seems quite impressive.

    Hermit, Oct 20, 2004