    what are the rules, google groups exists since 1982, how did they add
    things then without internet explorer?
    , Jul 31, 2007

  2. Guest

    , Jul 31, 2007

  3. Guest

    How to close a message i post, once i open it, how long do I have to
    delete it? I once deleted it and it was gone from google but ended up
    somewhere else, how is that possible?
    what are the rules, google groups exists since 1982, how did they add
    things then without internet explorer?
    , Jul 31, 2007
  4. Guest

    , Jul 31, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Jul 31, 5:06 pm, wrote:
    > wrote:
    > >what are the rules, google groups exists since 1982, how did they add
    > >things then without internet explorer?

    > No it washttp://dejanews.com/in '82 and was a repository for text
    > messages on the UseNet.
    >
    > Newsreaders predate IE by a long time.
    >
    > Use one -http://www.slyck.com/xnews.php
    >
    > --
    >
    > Homehttp://ipac.jpl.nasa.gov/media_images/sig05-010.jpg

    How did they do it
    , Jul 31, 2007
  6. Guest

    On Jul 31, 5:06 pm, wrote:
    > wrote:
    > >what are the rules, google groups exists since 1982, how did they add
    > >things then without internet explorer?

    > No it washttp://dejanews.com/in '82 and was a repository for text
    > messages on the UseNet.
    >
    > Newsreaders predate IE by a long time.
    >
    > Use one -http://www.slyck.com/xnews.php
    >
    > --
    >
    > Homehttp://ipac.jpl.nasa.gov/media_images/sig05-010.jpg

    When who why google bought it
    , Jul 31, 2007
  7. Guest

    On Jul 31, 5:12 pm, wrote:
    > wrote:
    > >No it washttp://dejanews.com/in '82 and was a repository for text
    > >messages on the UseNet.

    > OK, 1995http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dejanews
    >
    > "While archives of Usenet discussions had been kept for as long as the
    > medium existed, Deja News offered a novel combination of features."
    >
    > --
    >
    > Homehttp://ipac.jpl.nasa.gov/media_images/sig05-010.jpg

    No, I need a better source, not public edits, many mistakes. Many
    colleges strongly object to wikipedia use!
    , Jul 31, 2007
  8. wrote:

    > How to close a message i post, once i open it, how long do I have to
    > delete it? I once deleted it and it was gone from google but ended up
    > somewhere else, how is that possible?

    This isn't Google Groups. This is USENET. You are only using a (poor)
    web-based interface to it .. to the archive, actually.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

    Your post is now on thousands of NNTP news servers all over the planet.
    There are also many, many web sites that scrape USENET and display our
    posts as well. You can't ever get rid of a post .. so don't say anything
    you would be sorry for later. Thousands of people have read your post.

    > what are the rules, google groups exists since 1982,

    Not a chance. Google Groups started up in February 2001.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Groups

    > how did they add things then without internet explorer?

    It is hard to parse that question. Internet Explorer is a browser-like
    operating system object, and certainly has nothing to do with either
    Google Groups or USENET.

    Once again, this is *not* Google.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 31, 2007
  9. Guest

    wrote:

    >How to close a message i post, once i open it, how long do I have to
    >delete it? I once deleted it and it was gone from google but ended up
    >somewhere else, how is that possible?

    You did it wrong. as for deleting you can't without a hassle I just
    tried to delete a message:
    Subject: Re: Staring a Fresh with no XP backup disk...

    Most people who could help you post from Google Groups, and they can't
    help, it's a vicious circle.

    Your posting from AT&T Internet Services check out
    http://www.att.net/features/newsgroups.html

    Use news://netnews.worldnet.att.net/ as your address and post thru
    Mozilla thunderbird.

  10. ded Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > How to close a message i post, once i open it, how long do I have to
    > delete it? I once deleted it and it was gone from google but ended up
    > somewhere else, how is that possible?
    > what are the rules, google groups exists since 1982, how did they add
    > things then without internet explorer?

    Google is just one conduit to usenet, google is an archive of usenet posts.
    Google did not exist 1982, the archive did as explained by pennywise.
    IE is just one browser, netscape predates it.
    You cannot "close" a post via google, you can request it's removal.
    I think it is a good guess you have made a post that you now regret
    and you wish to try and remove it?
    I think we will all do a search on your username and have a look and
    see what you have been posting.
    ded, Jul 31, 2007
  11. On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:11:14 -0000, wrote:

    >How to close a message i post, once i open it, how long do I have to
    >delete it?

    If you post the message to a usenet group you can't delete it.

    > I once deleted it and it was gone from google but ended up
    >somewhere else, how is that possible?

    Because it's held on hundreds of usenet servers all over the world.
    Not just Google.

    >what are the rules, google groups exists since 1982, how did they add
    > things then without internet explorer?

    Google didn't exist that far back. It was formed on September 7, 1998
    but Google groups started in February 2001 when they took over
    DejaNews.

    Steve

    --
    Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

    http://www.easynn.com
    Steve Wolstenholme, Jul 31, 2007
  12. wrote:

    > No, I need a better source, not public edits, many mistakes.

    Would you rather see a reference written by a single author, some John
    Doe, whose page cannot be edited when someone else finds an error?

    > Many colleges strongly object to wikipedia use!

    If you were to construct a post using coherent, structurally-sound
    English, and asking a specific question, you might receive answers
    citing something other than Wikipedia.

    What do colleges' opinions of Wikipedia have to do with your questions?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 1, 2007
  13. Mike Easter Guest

    Subject: So what can I ask here exactly

    >> Many colleges strongly object to wikipedia use!

    > What do colleges' opinions of Wikipedia have to do with your
    > questions?

    I think maybe he was planning on doing his homework here.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 1, 2007
  14. wrote:
    > what are the rules, google groups exists since 1982, how did they add
    > things then without internet explorer?

    GOOGLE didn't even exist in 1982, numbskull.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 1, 2007
  15. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > what are the rules, google groups exists since 1982, how did they add
    > things then without internet explorer?

    I dont believe google groups existed since 1982. Google bought DejaNews
    about 10 years ago. Which used to be the archive of USEnet posts. Now of
    course, Google owns the database. There are still about 5 businesses
    which have archived all USEnet posts, tho I dont have the links handy at
    the moment...

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 1, 2007
  16. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-07-31, <> wrote:
    > what are the rules, google groups exists since 1982, how did they add
    > things then without internet explorer?

    Google Groups is not usenet. Google Groups is a combination of

    1) A searchable archive of most of the articles posted into most
    usenet newsgroups in the last 20 years or so, purchased by Google
    from 'DejaNews' who started it.

    2) A badly designed web forum interface to allow reading and posting
    in those newsgroups.

    3) Google's own proprietary web forums, which are not part of usenet.
    For reasons of their own, Google do not make the distinction
    between their own web forums and the real newsgroups very clear.

    1) is a useful service. 2) and 3) are means of getting people to look at
    and occasionally click on the advertisements that Google display, and
    which earn them their money.

    Newcomers to newsgroups should start here

    <http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>

    and here

    <http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/>, the Official Home Page of the
    newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.

    Usenet predates the web by many years.

    The first web browser was created by Tim Berners Lee in 1990 - along with
    the creation of the web. It ran on the NeXT operating system
    <http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/history/fbrowser.html>.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Aug 1, 2007
  17. Jordon Guest

    Jordon, Aug 1, 2007
  18. Guest

    HI, so are you telling me, if i post something, i cant close it
    immediately and delete it, my goal is to post something and then
    immediately close the thread?
    when did they move reply from 30 to 60, only moderators can close, how
    to email them direct?
    , Aug 3, 2007
  19. Guest

    On Jul 31, 6:24 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > > wrote:

    > Subject: So what can I ask here exactly
    >
    > >> Many colleges strongly object to wikipedia use!

    > > What do colleges' opinions of Wikipedia have to do with your
    > > questions?

    > I think maybe he was planning on doing his homework here.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    certainly not
    , Aug 3, 2007
  20. On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 21:45:00 -0000, wrote:

    >HI, so are you telling me, if i post something, i cant close it
    >immediately and delete it, my goal is to post something and then
    >immediately close the thread?
    >when did they move reply from 30 to 60, only moderators can close, how
    >to email them direct?

    Who are "they"?

    I've no idea what your numbers mean.

    You can't close a thread.