    another blogger asked, "Is this some kind of sick joke?"
    ---

    Derek Janssen (and, scratch another studio pipe dream down the tubes)

    Derek Janssen, Mar 17, 2006

  2. Derek Janssen

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    > "Someday, we'll all download movies on our iPod", right?--
    > Well, er....
    >
    > [IMDb, 3/16]
    > ---
    > 'High School Musical': The Controversy
    > An announcement by Apple Computer that it will make the Disney movie
    > High School Musical available for downloading from its iTunes Music
    > Store for $9.99 has generated angry reaction from several users of the
    > site. In the online store's user-review section, writers observed that
    > the price for the download was roughly the same as the price for a
    > similar DVD. "Talk about a rip-off," one user wrote. "... You're
    > basically paying for a DVD without getting the DVD extras or quality."
    > Another blogger on the Endgadget.com site commented that "this seems
    > like another pricing experiment from Apple" and complained that users
    > would by "paying $9.99 for a low-res copy of a movie of the week that
    > will probably show up in Blockbuster's remainder bin in a month." Yet
    > another blogger asked, "Is this some kind of sick joke?"
    > ---
    >
    > Derek Janssen (and, scratch another studio pipe dream down the tubes)

    Unless it sells. They'll never know till they try, and apparently this
    musical is big among young teens. They're buying the soundtrack on
    iTunes, so offering the movies makes sense. It's just a long music
    video :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Mar 18, 2006

  3. Invid Fan wrote:

    > In article <>, Derek Janssen
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Someday, we'll all download movies on our iPod", right?--
    >>Well, er....
    >>
    >>[IMDb, 3/16]
    >>---
    >>'High School Musical': The Controversy
    >>An announcement by Apple Computer that it will make the Disney movie
    >>High School Musical available for downloading from its iTunes Music
    >>Store for $9.99 has generated angry reaction from several users of the
    >>site. In the online store's user-review section, writers observed that
    >>the price for the download was roughly the same as the price for a
    >>similar DVD. "Talk about a rip-off," one user wrote. "... You're
    >>basically paying for a DVD without getting the DVD extras or quality."
    >>Another blogger on the Endgadget.com site commented that "this seems
    >>like another pricing experiment from Apple" and complained that users
    >>would by "paying $9.99 for a low-res copy of a movie of the week that
    >>will probably show up in Blockbuster's remainder bin in a month." Yet
    >>another blogger asked, "Is this some kind of sick joke?"
    >>---
    >>
    >>(and, scratch another studio pipe dream down the tubes)

    > Unless it sells. They'll never know till they try, and

    --well,.....they tried.

    > They're buying the soundtrack on
    > iTunes, so offering the movies makes sense. It's just a long music
    > video :)

    Yeah, but--if it were possible to use yellow highlighter on Usenet
    posts--one might need to underline the bits about customers saying "Why
    SHOULD we download something in crappy bit-form when it's on DVD for the
    same price?" and "Geez, what a ripoff!"

    ....Which will no doubt be something of an obstacle to any future movie
    that *ISN'T* a teen musical with a hit soundtrack.

    Derek Janssen (and there are a few of them)

    Derek Janssen, Mar 18, 2006
  4. Derek Janssen

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Derek
    Janssen <> wrote:

    > Invid Fan wrote:
    >

    > >>(and, scratch another studio pipe dream down the tubes)

    > > Unless it sells. They'll never know till they try, and

    > --well,.....they tried.

    Have started trying. Takes more then a week to judge these things, and
    Apple will want to take the long view in this.

    > > They're buying the soundtrack on
    > > iTunes, so offering the movies makes sense. It's just a long music
    > > video :)

    > Yeah, but--if it were possible to use yellow highlighter on Usenet
    > posts--one might need to underline the bits about customers saying "Why
    > SHOULD we download something in crappy bit-form when it's on DVD for the
    > same price?" and "Geez, what a ripoff!"

    Those aren't the ones the download was aimed at, unless many of those
    posters were teen girls :)

    > ...Which will no doubt be something of an obstacle to any future movie
    > that *ISN'T* a teen musical with a hit soundtrack.

    Oh, I know the market is probably small. $10 is too high, but studios
    may not want to come down in price. At $2 for an hour tv episode, $5
    for a tv movie might work. This has already aired on tv, thus should be
    treated differently then theatrical films.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Mar 18, 2006
  5. "Invid Fan" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Derek Janssen
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Someday, we'll all download movies on our iPod", right?--
    >> Well, er....
    >>
    >> [IMDb, 3/16]
    >> ---
    >> 'High School Musical': The Controversy
    >> An announcement by Apple Computer that it will make the Disney movie
    >> High School Musical available for downloading from its iTunes Music
    >> Store for $9.99 has generated angry reaction from several users of the
    >> site. In the online store's user-review section, writers observed that
    >> the price for the download was roughly the same as the price for a
    >> similar DVD. "Talk about a rip-off," one user wrote. "... You're
    >> basically paying for a DVD without getting the DVD extras or quality."
    >> Another blogger on the Endgadget.com site commented that "this seems
    >> like another pricing experiment from Apple" and complained that users
    >> would by "paying $9.99 for a low-res copy of a movie of the week that
    >> will probably show up in Blockbuster's remainder bin in a month." Yet
    >> another blogger asked, "Is this some kind of sick joke?"
    >> ---
    >>
    >> Derek Janssen (and, scratch another studio pipe dream down the tubes)

    > Unless it sells. They'll never know till they try, and apparently this
    > musical is big among young teens. They're buying the soundtrack on
    > iTunes, so offering the movies makes sense. It's just a long music
    > video :)

    And how much does it really cost anyone to offer it?

    Bernie Woodham, Mar 18, 2006
  6. Derek Janssen

    Jay G. Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:23:15 -0500, Derek Janssen wrote:

    > Yeah, but--if it were possible to use yellow highlighter on Usenet
    > posts--one might need to underline the bits about customers saying "Why
    > SHOULD we download something in crappy bit-form when it's on DVD for the
    > same price?" and "Geez, what a ripoff!"

    It's not on DVD, and when it does come out, it won't be for the same price.

    In contrast, the CD *is* out, and has been available for the same price as
    it is on iTunes. Yet I don't see people complaining about that album's
    price.

    > ...Which will no doubt be something of an obstacle to any future movie
    > that *ISN'T* a teen musical with a hit soundtrack.
    >
    > Derek Janssen (and there are a few of them)

    A *few*. There's over 215 reviews on the movie so far, a lot of them
    positive. A lot of the negative ones seem to think that $10 is too much
    for the movie *period*, not in contrast to a DVD.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Mar 18, 2006
  7. Derek Janssen

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <1e0yotjjkbsx4$.1i06y7rf4r9ns$>, Jay G. <
    "@tmbg.org> wrote:

    > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:23:15 -0500, Derek Janssen wrote:
    > >
    > > Yeah, but--if it were possible to use yellow highlighter on Usenet
    > > posts--one might need to underline the bits about customers saying "Why
    > > SHOULD we download something in crappy bit-form when it's on DVD for the
    > > same price?" and "Geez, what a ripoff!"

    > It's not on DVD, and when it does come out, it won't be for the same price.
    >
    > In contrast, the CD *is* out, and has been available for the same price as
    > it is on iTunes. Yet I don't see people complaining about that album's
    > price.

    It is interesting that people are willing to pay more for just the
    music then music+video. iTunes is also selling individual music videos
    from the show, and it would be interesting to see if those sell better
    then the entire movie.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Mar 18, 2006