    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

    Aaron Lawrence, Nov 16, 2005

  2. Aaron Lawrence

    WhoMe Guest

    Yes I think they have screwed themselves. Anyone wanting new music from
    a Sony artist is probably going to download it rather than risk getting
    the added extras

    Who Me

    WhoMe, Nov 16, 2005

  3. "Aaron Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    > So, does anyone know if this copy protection, "XCP" is on CDs sold in
    > NZ?
    >

    > Sony's latest CDs, at least in the US, install a rootkit which has now
    > been used by viruses. Now their removal tool opens a gaping security
    > hole allowing random websites to run code on your PC.
    >
    > Summary here:
    > http://news.dmusic.com/article/18686
    >

    > --
    > aaronl at consultant dot com
    > For every expert, there is an equal and
    > opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

    of course welcome to the big bad world of globalisation.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 16, 2005
  4. Aaron Lawrence

    PAM. Guest

    > So, does anyone know if this copy protection, "XCP" is on CDs sold in
    > NZ?
    >

    > Sony's latest CDs, at least in the US, install a rootkit which has now
    > been used by viruses. Now their removal tool opens a gaping security
    > hole allowing random websites to run code on your PC.
    >
    > Summary here:
    > http://news.dmusic.com/article/18686

    Yeah. They made a descision which seemed to have backfired so it has been
    deemed a mistake and a highly visible one. I assume that scapegoating and
    damage control will follow and things will take time to get back to
    "normal". Par for the course in business methinks.

    PAM.

    PAM., Nov 16, 2005
  5. On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:33:01 +1300, someone purporting to be PAM. didst
    scrawl:

    > "Aaron Lawrence" <> wrote in message

    *SNIP*
    > Yeah. They made a descision which seemed to have backfired so it has been
    > deemed a mistake and a highly visible one. I assume that scapegoating and
    > damage control will follow and things will take time to get back to
    > "normal". Par for the course in business methinks.

    Why would they scapegoat anyone? The CEO of Sony Entertainment doesn't
    understand what all the fuss is about.

    What's more entertaining is yesterday's revelation that there seems to be
    GPL and LGPL code within XCP. On that basis, Sony could be in the hole,
    courtesy of the stronger copyright-protection laws that they have called
    for, for USD150b in punitive damages. That's based on an estimated 2m CDs
    sold and a USD75,000 fine per infringing copy. Of course, that also
    assumes a single infringement per copy. Examination shows code from three
    separate (L)GPL'd projects, and there's also nothing stopping the authors
    of individual sections of code from also suing for copyright infringement.
    Potentially there could be 10 infringements per CD, or more, so suddenly
    Sony's looking at 1.5 Trillion! US Dollars in punitive damages.

    This could yet be the best thing that's ever happened to copyright law
    reform, since it clearly demonstrates, at a level that even the average
    consumer can understand, just how far out of control the copyright cartels
    have become.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Nov 16, 2005
  6. Aaron Lawrence

    PAM. Guest

    "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    > Why would they scapegoat anyone? The CEO of Sony Entertainment doesn't
    > understand what all the fuss is about.
    >
    > What's more entertaining is yesterday's revelation that there seems to be
    > GPL and LGPL code within XCP. On that basis, Sony could be in the hole,
    > courtesy of the stronger copyright-protection laws that they have called
    > for, for USD150b in punitive damages. That's based on an estimated 2m CDs
    > sold and a USD75,000 fine per infringing copy. Of course, that also
    > assumes a single infringement per copy. Examination shows code from three
    > separate (L)GPL'd projects, and there's also nothing stopping the authors
    > of individual sections of code from also suing for copyright infringement.
    > Potentially there could be 10 infringements per CD, or more, so suddenly
    > Sony's looking at 1.5 Trillion! US Dollars in punitive damages.
    >
    > This could yet be the best thing that's ever happened to copyright law
    > reform, since it clearly demonstrates, at a level that even the average
    > consumer can understand, just how far out of control the copyright cartels
    > have become.

    And you wouldn't scapegoat someone over 1.5 (US?) Trillion?

    PAM.

    PAM., Nov 16, 2005
  7. Aaron Lawrence

    EMB Guest

    PAM. wrote:

    > And you wouldn't scapegoat someone over 1.5 (US?) Trillion?

    Sony.... Japanese company.... You don't need to scapegoat people -
    there's a time honoured tradition in Japan for those who cock up that badly.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 16, 2005
  8. Aaron Lawrence

    thing2 Guest

    PAM. wrote:
    > "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Why would they scapegoat anyone? The CEO of Sony Entertainment doesn't
    >>understand what all the fuss is about.
    >>
    >>What's more entertaining is yesterday's revelation that there seems to be
    >>GPL and LGPL code within XCP. On that basis, Sony could be in the hole,
    >>courtesy of the stronger copyright-protection laws that they have called
    >>for, for USD150b in punitive damages. That's based on an estimated 2m CDs
    >>sold and a USD75,000 fine per infringing copy. Of course, that also
    >>assumes a single infringement per copy. Examination shows code from three
    >>separate (L)GPL'd projects, and there's also nothing stopping the authors
    >>of individual sections of code from also suing for copyright infringement.
    >>Potentially there could be 10 infringements per CD, or more, so suddenly
    >>Sony's looking at 1.5 Trillion! US Dollars in punitive damages.
    >>
    >>This could yet be the best thing that's ever happened to copyright law
    >>reform, since it clearly demonstrates, at a level that even the average
    >>consumer can understand, just how far out of control the copyright cartels
    >>have become.

    > And you wouldn't scapegoat someone over 1.5 (US?) Trillion?
    >
    > PAM.

    Since the ceo opened his mouth and said he does not see the issue, I
    think he just publically put his neck on the block. If he had kept it
    shut, maybe a lower down would have hari kairied, but now his big mouth
    has shown he knows and knowingly carried on....he cant back out me
    thinks....

    Be nice to see Sony sued to hell and back.....since there are so many
    violations a class action would Im sure be a favourite thought of lots
    of lawyers.

    Be interesting to follow, see if justice is done, or if crossing
    senators palms with silver will see them get off scot free.....

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Nov 16, 2005
  9. Aaron Lawrence

    steve Guest

    SONY = Terrorists?

    WhoMe wrote:

    > Yes I think they have screwed themselves. Anyone wanting new music from
    > a Sony artist is probably going to download it rather than risk getting
    > the added extras

    Make sure you rip the songs off the CD with the system not connected to the
    Internet....then either remove the rootkit or format and re-partition the
    hard drive and re-install the OS....before reconnecting to the Internet.

    Just to be sure their CDs don't leave you exposed.

    Looks like SONY may have violated the American DMCA - perhaps even the
    anti-terrorism laws - by rootkitting thousands of private PCs without
    asking....and leaving them exposed without their owners knowledge.

    The sort of thing a terrorist would do.

    steve, Nov 16, 2005
  10. Aaron Lawrence

    BrianM Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 06:02:08 +1000, EMB wrote:

    > PAM. wrote:
    >>
    >> And you wouldn't scapegoat someone over 1.5 (US?) Trillion?

    > Sony.... Japanese company.... You don't need to scapegoat people -
    > there's a time honoured tradition in Japan for those who cock up that
    > badly.

    Take the golden handshake, move to NZ, set up chain of
    restaurants, buy property in Queenstown, that's what I
    would do - hey, whatever happened to sepuku ?

    T_n_C
    Brian

    BrianM, Nov 16, 2005
  11. Re: SONY = Terrorists?

    steve wrote:
    > WhoMe wrote:
    >

    >>Yes I think they have screwed themselves. Anyone wanting new music from
    >>a Sony artist is probably going to download it rather than risk getting
    >>the added extras

    > Make sure you rip the songs off the CD with the system not connected to the
    > Internet....then either remove the rootkit or format and re-partition the
    > hard drive and re-install the OS....before reconnecting to the Internet.
    >
    > Just to be sure their CDs don't leave you exposed.
    >
    > Looks like SONY may have violated the American DMCA - perhaps even the
    > anti-terrorism laws - by rootkitting thousands of private PCs without
    > asking....and leaving them exposed without their owners knowledge.
    >
    > The sort of thing a terrorist would do.

    It wasn't me. I didn't do it.

    Where's the NZ anti-hacking legislation to be found ?

    Mark Robinson, Nov 16, 2005
  12. In article <>, thing2 <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >Since the ceo opened his mouth and said he does not see the issue, I
    >think he just publically put his neck on the block. If he had kept it
    >shut, maybe a lower down would have hari kairied, but now his big mouth
    >has shown he knows and knowingly carried on....he cant back out me
    >thinks....
    >
    >Be nice to see Sony sued to hell and back.....since there are so many
    >violations a class action would Im sure be a favourite thought of lots
    >of lawyers.
    >
    >Be interesting to follow, see if justice is done, or if crossing
    >senators palms with silver will see them get off scot free.....

    If I were he, I would quickly grasp at the "honest error" straw ... and hope
    like hell :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 17, 2005
  13. Re: SONY = Terrorists?

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:10:48 +1300, someone purporting to be Mark Robinson
    didst scrawl:

    > steve wrote:

    *SNIP*
    > Where's the NZ anti-hacking legislation to be found ?

    Crimes Act has several sections about illegally accessing and/or using a
    computer system.

    Matthew Poole, Nov 17, 2005
  14. On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:57:54 +1300, someone purporting to be PAM. didst
    scrawl:

    > "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    >> Why would they scapegoat anyone? The CEO of Sony Entertainment doesn't
    >> understand what all the fuss is about.

    *SNIP*
    > And you wouldn't scapegoat someone over 1.5 (US?) Trillion?

    How can you, when the head of the company says it's no big deal? He set
    company policy with that statement, and made himself the target for any
    scapegoating that is done.
    As thing said, better to have kept his greedy, ignorant gob shut, but
    instead he's inserted both of his feet up to the hip.

    Matthew Poole, Nov 17, 2005
  15. Aaron Lawrence

    Allistar Guest

    Re: SONY = Terrorists?

    steve wrote:

    > WhoMe wrote:
    >
    >> Yes I think they have screwed themselves. Anyone wanting new music from
    >> a Sony artist is probably going to download it rather than risk getting
    >> the added extras

    > Make sure you rip the songs off the CD with the system not connected to
    > the Internet....then either remove the rootkit or format and re-partition
    > the hard drive and re-install the OS....before reconnecting to the
    > Internet.

    Or don't use Microsoft Windows to do the ripping.

    > Just to be sure their CDs don't leave you exposed.
    >
    > Looks like SONY may have violated the American DMCA - perhaps even the
    > anti-terrorism laws - by rootkitting thousands of private PCs without
    > asking....and leaving them exposed without their owners knowledge.
    >
    > The sort of thing a terrorist would do.

    I hope their violation of the (L)GPL is severly punished.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Nov 17, 2005
  16. Aaron Lawrence

    Richard Guest

    Re: SONY = Terrorists?

    Allistar wrote:

    >>Make sure you rip the songs off the CD with the system not connected to
    >>the Internet....then either remove the rootkit or format and re-partition
    >>the hard drive and re-install the OS....before reconnecting to the
    >>Internet.

    > Or don't use Microsoft Windows to do the ripping.

    If you allow there software to install, you _cant_ rip it, thats the whole idea
    of it, so you are left with either opening your ripping software first (most
    disable autoinsert when they are run) or else holding shift - no risk at all.

    If there call home rootkit software installs, then you cant rip so then the
    whole idea of putting it in is defeated.

    Richard, Nov 17, 2005
  17. Aaron Lawrence

    shannon Guest

    Re: SONY = Terrorists?

    Allistar wrote:

    > Or don't use Microsoft Windows to do the ripping.

    But if you do, disable autorun, that will defeat XCP or Sunncomm DRM
    installers

    Actually, you should disable autorun anyway, whether you intend to rip
    stuff or not, its become another Windows exploit vulnerability

    This article tells you how
    http://features.engadget.com/entry/4115667344500767/

    Then you can probably rip your CD to mp3 with your favourite ripper to
    play on your portable player.

    shannon, Nov 17, 2005
  18. Aaron Lawrence

    Allistar Guest

    Re: SONY = Terrorists?

    shannon wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >

    >> Or don't use Microsoft Windows to do the ripping.
    >>

    > But if you do, disable autorun, that will defeat XCP or Sunncomm DRM
    > installers
    >
    > Actually, you should disable autorun anyway, whether you intend to rip
    > stuff or not, its become another Windows exploit vulnerability
    >
    > This article tells you how
    > http://features.engadget.com/entry/4115667344500767/
    >
    > Then you can probably rip your CD to mp3 with your favourite ripper to
    > play on your portable player.

    Good advice. Holding down the "shift" key when inserting the disk does the
    same thing, IIRC.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Nov 18, 2005
  19. Aaron Lawrence

    Allistar Guest

    Re: SONY = Terrorists?

    Richard wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >
    >>>Make sure you rip the songs off the CD with the system not connected to
    >>>the Internet....then either remove the rootkit or format and re-partition
    >>>the hard drive and re-install the OS....before reconnecting to the
    >>>Internet.

    >> Or don't use Microsoft Windows to do the ripping.

    > If you allow there software to install, you _cant_ rip it, thats the whole
    > idea of it, so you are left with either opening your ripping software
    > first (most disable autoinsert when they are run) or else holding shift -
    > no risk at all.
    >
    > If there call home rootkit software installs, then you cant rip so then
    > the whole idea of putting it in is defeated.

    Aren't the essentially trying to remove our fair use rights (which I know
    don't currently exist in NZ)?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Nov 18, 2005