So, round and round... 70-682... MSLearning, please read!

Discussion in 'MCITP' started by DaGenester, May 17, 2010.

  1. DaGenester

    DaGenester Guest

    If someone with MS Learning and Certification is reading, please read this:

    Ok, so the thought is that if you take the 70-682, you have just taken an
    UPGRADE exam from MCDST or MCITP on Vista... well, let me clarify something
    for you (please note: I am still in dispute of this with Microsoft Learning
    and Microsoft Certification team!)

    I took the 70-682, passed it, and the test results showed that the upgrade
    covered 70-680 and 70-685. With that being said, you would think that that
    means you passed them both, especially if you passed both sections of the
    exam. What follows is the ACTUAL Conversation Via Email with the MCT Team,
    which acted in my behalf to MS Learning and the Cert team:

    Hello Gene,

    This is a follow up email regarding missing certification.

    We appreciate your patience.

    We have been informed by our technical team that exam 70-682 counts as the
    upgrade exam for MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician Windows 7
    certification but it does not give the MCTS certification on Windows 7
    Configuration. In order to achieve the credentials, you would have to take
    the exam 70-680.

    In case you need more clarification, please let us know. Thank you for
    contacting Microsoft.

    Sachin

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning

    Previous Reply Follows:
    -----------------------
    Hello Gene,

    Thank you for your e-mail.

    We agree with your views and appreciate your taking time in bringing this to
    our notice. We are waiting for a confirmation from our Program management
    team with regards to the certification mapping for the exam 70-682. Once we
    have the confirmation along with the appropriate descriptions we would notify
    you immediately. Yes, once this is confirmed it would definitely be a great
    help to the other professionals attempting this exam.

    We would highly appreciate your patience throughout the process.. Thank you
    for contacting Microsoft.

    Shiv

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning

    Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    Thank you very much.

    Just as a reminder... Any time someone has been taking the upgrade exams,
    the appropriate "entry level" certification is in the mix as well. So, for
    example, if I took the 70-682 and received JUST the MCITP certification, two
    things would be wrong:
    1. I would only receive credit for the MCITP, and not the MCTS. A
    requirement of the MCITP is the MCTS certification associated with it, so my
    MCITP would be invalid.
    2. If I had to also take the MCTS certification, where would the
    benefit be in taking an Upgrade exam, if I still needed to take the other
    exam to make it worthwhile?

    In the example of the 70-682, I SHOULD only have to take the 70-682 to
    receive FULL credit for the 70-680 and 70-685 exams. Thus the benefit of the
    Upgrade. Otherwise, I would STILL have to go and take the 70-680 exam,
    making it two exams to take instead of just the one.

    If you take a look at my transcript, you will see that I try to take the
    Upgrade exams as often as possible - saving both time and money on the exams
    (unless I don't pass, of course! :) ). For each upgrade exam I have taken,
    you'll note that I have received credit for all certifications that were
    under it - both the MCTS and MCITP certifications.

    Thank you for looking into this. I'm sure I won't be the only one to bring
    this to your attention. :)

    Gene.

    DaGenester, May 17, 2010

  2. DaGenester

    Chris M Guest

    On 17/05/2010 23:13, DaGenester wrote:
    > If someone with MS Learning and Certification is reading, please read this:
    >
    > Ok, so the thought is that if you take the 70-682, you have just taken an
    > UPGRADE exam from MCDST or MCITP on Vista... well, let me clarify something
    > for you (please note: I am still in dispute of this with Microsoft Learning
    > and Microsoft Certification team!)
    >
    > I took the 70-682, passed it, and the test results showed that the upgrade
    > covered 70-680 and 70-685. With that being said, you would think that that
    > means you passed them both, especially if you passed both sections of the
    > exam. What follows is the ACTUAL Conversation Via Email with the MCT Team,
    > which acted in my behalf to MS Learning and the Cert team:
    >
    > <CONVERSATION WITH BRICK WALL SNIPPED>

    Ridiculous! I took 680 to finish my MCITP a while back because I got
    tired of waiting for 682 (I have the MCDST cert).

    I don't think you're going to be the only one having this particular
    dispute. I hope they sort it out, I personally can't see how they can
    argue against this.

    Good luck!

    --
    Chris M.

    Chris M, May 18, 2010

  3. DaGenester

    Ed Rusi Guest

    I am schedulled to take this exam on Friday and if this is the case it is a
    rip off. It was only a couple of years ago when Microsoft made Exam 621
    replacment for both.
    It is not fair to have us take two exams when we have already taken 2-3 to
    get here. All over the place we hear that Windows 7 builds on Vista and it is
    just like Vista but better while the exams are so different that we need to
    start from the stone age.
    Lets hope they get it right or I am not wasting any more money validating
    redundant technology.
    Ed

    Ed Rusi, May 20, 2010