    So suggestions?

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 23, 2005

  2. thingy

    Daniel Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Choice is an all-in-wonder as I need video or a external pinnicle
    > firewire video unit (no spare pci slots....into a dual head AGP card,
    > needs enough umhp to play this year's games etc reasonably well. ie I
    > dont need 100+ fps, 30~50 is fine.....
    >
    > Im thinking ext pinncle and a mid range GPU....6600GT? or the ATI equiv?
    >
    > Has to run in a MSI p3-1000 era (circa 2000) AGP sloted M/B.
    >
    > So suggestions?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    What's your budget?
    Daniel, Oct 23, 2005

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Choice is an all-in-wonder as I need video or a external pinnicle
    >> firewire video unit (no spare pci slots....into a dual head AGP card,
    >> needs enough umhp to play this year's games etc reasonably well. ie I
    >> dont need 100+ fps, 30~50 is fine.....
    >>
    >> Im thinking ext pinncle and a mid range GPU....6600GT? or the ATI equiv?
    >>
    >> Has to run in a MSI p3-1000 era (circa 2000) AGP sloted M/B.
    >>
    >> So suggestions?
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > What's your budget?

    hmm not sure.....$600 ish or a bit less would be good.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 23, 2005
  4. thingy

    Daniel Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >

    >> What's your budget?

    > hmm not sure.....$600 ish or a bit less would be good.

    I think you'll get to the point of diminishing returns rather quickly
    simply because you have a 1GHz PIII based system. There's only so much a
    gfx card can do by itself before CPU, FSB, and memory (this will be
    pre-DDR I'm guessing) bottlenecks the system.

    Don't get me wrong, a 6600GT would be awesome. Just that I'm not sure if
    there'd be that much of a perceivable improvement in performance over a
    lesser card since a lot of games scale with CPU/FSB/mem power in
    addition to gfx power.

    Plus, there may also be the issue of your PSU needing replacing (maybe),
    to ensure your gfx card doesn't crash everytime you start doing any
    heavy 3D - an additional cost you may need to factor in.

    I'm a bit of a conservative.
    Personally, I'd probably go for something like:-
    * http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=337522
    because it's cheap, and fast enough to run even modern games (and not
    look that ugly), taking into account the speed of the rest of the system.
    It has a 2 year warranty fronted by Ascent, who have outstanding
    after-sales service, and is a retailer I expect to still be around in 2
    years time.
    Also, just have a little set aside for a possible PSU upgrade if the
    current one chokes on the new gfx card. Say $230-$250 all up including a
    new PSU.

    My 2 cents :)
    Daniel, Oct 23, 2005
  5. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Daniel wrote:
    >>

    >>> What's your budget?

    >> hmm not sure.....$600 ish or a bit less would be good.
    >>

    > I think you'll get to the point of diminishing returns rather quickly
    > simply because you have a 1GHz PIII based system. There's only so much a
    > gfx card can do by itself before CPU, FSB, and memory (this will be
    > pre-DDR I'm guessing) bottlenecks the system.

    Yes, pc133 sdram.

    > Don't get me wrong, a 6600GT would be awesome. Just that I'm not sure if
    > there'd be that much of a perceivable improvement in performance over a
    > lesser card since a lot of games scale with CPU/FSB/mem power in
    > addition to gfx power.
    >
    > Plus, there may also be the issue of your PSU needing replacing (maybe),
    > to ensure your gfx card doesn't crash everytime you start doing any
    > heavy 3D - an additional cost you may need to factor in.
    >
    > I'm a bit of a conservative.
    > Personally, I'd probably go for something like:-
    > * http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=337522
    > because it's cheap, and fast enough to run even modern games (and not
    > look that ugly), taking into account the speed of the rest of the system.
    > It has a 2 year warranty fronted by Ascent, who have outstanding
    > after-sales service, and is a retailer I expect to still be around in 2
    > years time.
    > Also, just have a little set aside for a possible PSU upgrade if the
    > current one chokes on the new gfx card. Say $230-$250 all up including a
    > new PSU.
    >

    > My 2 cents :)

    Good 2 cents.......trying to balance my $'s at present as Im paying off
    my new kayak til xmas....then I have some dosh...

    (hint May/June is good to buy a new kayak as no one wants them, I got
    $700+ off mine, ie around 25%...

    :D

    The idea is in the new year to upgrade to a new AMD motherboard....my
    only concern is whether to save and buy a pci-express card and a
    motherboard at the same time.....or get a good AGP card now.

    Those dual video card monsters look grand if OTT for me.....I need lots
    of pci slots as well....many boards these days lack pci slots....

    I already have a 450w psu from ascent....got it after the last one died
    and I was planning a new motherboard even then.....

    :)

    Hmm the price is right for that card, its dual head and cheap......this
    looks a good idea....hmmmmm....ponder....will think on it today.......

    I might just get this, and my son might get a "surprise video upgrade"
    for his computer in the new year....he was getting the dual p3-1000 with
    1 gig of ram anyway....

    ;]

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 23, 2005
  6. thingy

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:23:08 +1300, thingy <> wrote:

    >Daniel wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:

    >>> hmm not sure.....$600 ish or a bit less would be good.
    >>>

    >> I think you'll get to the point of diminishing returns rather quickly
    >> simply because you have a 1GHz PIII based system. There's only so much a
    >> gfx card can do by itself before CPU, FSB, and memory (this will be
    >> pre-DDR I'm guessing) bottlenecks the system.

    >Yes, pc133 sdram.
    >

    >> Don't get me wrong, a 6600GT would be awesome. Just that I'm not sure if
    >> there'd be that much of a perceivable improvement in performance over a
    >> lesser card since a lot of games scale with CPU/FSB/mem power in
    >> addition to gfx power.
    >>
    >> Plus, there may also be the issue of your PSU needing replacing (maybe),
    >> to ensure your gfx card doesn't crash everytime you start doing any
    >> heavy 3D - an additional cost you may need to factor in.
    >>
    >> I'm a bit of a conservative.
    >> Personally, I'd probably go for something like:-
    >> * http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=337522
    >> because it's cheap, and fast enough to run even modern games (and not
    >> look that ugly), taking into account the speed of the rest of the system.
    >> It has a 2 year warranty fronted by Ascent, who have outstanding
    >> after-sales service, and is a retailer I expect to still be around in 2
    >> years time.
    >> Also, just have a little set aside for a possible PSU upgrade if the
    >> current one chokes on the new gfx card. Say $230-$250 all up including a
    >> new PSU.
    >>

    >> My 2 cents :)

    >Good 2 cents.......trying to balance my $'s at present as Im paying off
    >my new kayak til xmas....then I have some dosh...
    >
    >(hint May/June is good to buy a new kayak as no one wants them, I got
    >$700+ off mine, ie around 25%...
    >
    >:D
    >
    >The idea is in the new year to upgrade to a new AMD motherboard....my
    >only concern is whether to save and buy a pci-express card and a
    >motherboard at the same time.....or get a good AGP card now.
    >
    >Those dual video card monsters look grand if OTT for me.....I need lots
    >of pci slots as well....many boards these days lack pci slots....
    >
    >I already have a 450w psu from ascent....got it after the last one died
    >and I was planning a new motherboard even then.....
    >
    >:)
    >
    >Hmm the price is right for that card, its dual head and cheap......this
    >looks a good idea....hmmmmm....ponder....will think on it today.......
    >
    >I might just get this, and my son might get a "surprise video upgrade"
    >for his computer in the new year....he was getting the dual p3-1000 with
    >1 gig of ram anyway....
    >
    >;]
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    Don't forget the Dual 6600 SLI on one Card.
    XP, Oct 23, 2005
  7. thingy

    thingy Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:23:08 +1300, thingy <> wrote:
    >

    >>Daniel wrote:

    >>>I think you'll get to the point of diminishing returns rather quickly
    >>>simply because you have a 1GHz PIII based system. There's only so much a
    >>>gfx card can do by itself before CPU, FSB, and memory (this will be
    >>>pre-DDR I'm guessing) bottlenecks the system.

    >>Yes, pc133 sdram.
    >>

    >>>Don't get me wrong, a 6600GT would be awesome. Just that I'm not sure if
    >>>there'd be that much of a perceivable improvement in performance over a
    >>>lesser card since a lot of games scale with CPU/FSB/mem power in
    >>>addition to gfx power.
    >>>
    >>>Plus, there may also be the issue of your PSU needing replacing (maybe),
    >>>to ensure your gfx card doesn't crash everytime you start doing any
    >>>heavy 3D - an additional cost you may need to factor in.
    >>>
    >>>I'm a bit of a conservative.
    >>>Personally, I'd probably go for something like:-
    >>>* http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=337522
    >>>because it's cheap, and fast enough to run even modern games (and not
    >>>look that ugly), taking into account the speed of the rest of the system.
    >>>It has a 2 year warranty fronted by Ascent, who have outstanding
    >>>after-sales service, and is a retailer I expect to still be around in 2
    >>>years time.
    >>>Also, just have a little set aside for a possible PSU upgrade if the
    >>>current one chokes on the new gfx card. Say $230-$250 all up including a
    >>>new PSU.
    >>>

    >>>My 2 cents :)

    >>Good 2 cents.......trying to balance my $'s at present as Im paying off
    >>my new kayak til xmas....then I have some dosh...
    >>
    >>(hint May/June is good to buy a new kayak as no one wants them, I got
    >>$700+ off mine, ie around 25%...
    >>
    >>:D
    >>
    >>The idea is in the new year to upgrade to a new AMD motherboard....my
    >>only concern is whether to save and buy a pci-express card and a
    >>motherboard at the same time.....or get a good AGP card now.
    >>
    >>Those dual video card monsters look grand if OTT for me.....I need lots
    >>of pci slots as well....many boards these days lack pci slots....
    >>
    >>I already have a 450w psu from ascent....got it after the last one died
    >>and I was planning a new motherboard even then.....
    >>
    >>:)
    >>
    >>Hmm the price is right for that card, its dual head and cheap......this
    >>looks a good idea....hmmmmm....ponder....will think on it today.......
    >>
    >>I might just get this, and my son might get a "surprise video upgrade"
    >>for his computer in the new year....he was getting the dual p3-1000 with
    >>1 gig of ram anyway....
    >>
    >>;]
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    > Don't forget the Dual 6600 SLI on one Card.

    pci-express?

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 24, 2005
  8. thingy

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:39:00 +1300, thingy <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:

    >>>Yes, pc133 sdram.

    >>>Good 2 cents.......trying to balance my $'s at present as Im paying off
    >>>my new kayak til xmas....then I have some dosh...
    >>>
    >>>(hint May/June is good to buy a new kayak as no one wants them, I got
    >>>$700+ off mine, ie around 25%...
    >>>
    >>>:D
    >>>
    >>>The idea is in the new year to upgrade to a new AMD motherboard....my
    >>>only concern is whether to save and buy a pci-express card and a
    >>>motherboard at the same time.....or get a good AGP card now.
    >>>
    >>>Those dual video card monsters look grand if OTT for me.....I need lots
    >>>of pci slots as well....many boards these days lack pci slots....
    >>>
    >>>I already have a 450w psu from ascent....got it after the last one died
    >>>and I was planning a new motherboard even then.....
    >>>
    >>>:)
    >>>
    >>>Hmm the price is right for that card, its dual head and cheap......this
    >>>looks a good idea....hmmmmm....ponder....will think on it today.......
    >>>
    >>>I might just get this, and my son might get a "surprise video upgrade"
    >>>for his computer in the new year....he was getting the dual p3-1000 with
    >>>1 gig of ram anyway....
    >>>
    >>>;]
    >>>
    >>>regards
    >>>
    >>>Thing

    >> Don't forget the Dual 6600 SLI on one Card.
    >>

    >pci-express?
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    Yes

    Be very careful with the AGP 6600GT as some get very Hot..

    You do need one that is fan cooled, the heatsink ones do get hot..

    Plus some do not cool the HSF ? bridge chip very well,

    That is why I got a Leadtek as the main fan does blow onto the HSF chip,
    nearly all don't

    Also some do not have the GPU heat monitoring enabled..
    XP, Oct 24, 2005
  9. thingy

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    y says...
    > Choice is an all-in-wonder as I need video or a external pinnicle
    > firewire video unit (no spare pci slots....into a dual head AGP card,
    > needs enough umhp to play this year's games etc reasonably well. ie I
    > dont need 100+ fps, 30~50 is fine.....
    >
    > Im thinking ext pinncle and a mid range GPU....6600GT? or the ATI equiv?
    >
    > Has to run in a MSI p3-1000 era (circa 2000) AGP sloted M/B.
    >
    > So suggestions?

    Lots of new cards say PIV minimum CPU, although that should be a fast
    enough system. There are some reasonable Radeons from Powercolor and the
    like, but the drivers are always flaky.
    Rob J, Oct 24, 2005
  10. thingy

    thingy Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:39:00 +1300, thingy <> wrote:
    >

    >>XP wrote:

    >>>Don't forget the Dual 6600 SLI on one Card.
    >>>

    >>pci-express?
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    > Yes
    >
    > Be very careful with the AGP 6600GT as some get very Hot..
    >
    > You do need one that is fan cooled, the heatsink ones do get hot..
    >
    > Plus some do not cool the HSF ? bridge chip very well,
    >

    > That is why I got a Leadtek as the main fan does blow onto the HSF chip,
    > nearly all don't
    >

    > Also some do not have the GPU heat monitoring enabled..

    It is the leadtek I am looking at.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 25, 2005