    shutting down"screen it hangs about for ages until it finally powers off?
    any suggestions

    Paul Bennett
    Paul Bennett, Nov 6, 2005

  2. Paul Bennett

    dabaconboy Guest

    "Paul Bennett" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > why is it that my computer takes so long to close down. I can understand

    it
    > if I have a lot of apps working but when it gets to the blue "Windows is
    > shutting down"screen it hangs about for ages until it finally powers off?
    > any suggestions
    >
    > Paul Bennett

    i know what you mean because i get it. so i am open to suggestions please if
    anybody can help
    dabaconboy, Nov 6, 2005

  3. Paul Bennett

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 08:44:23 -0000, Paul Bennett wrote:

    >why is it that my computer takes so long to close down. I can understand it
    >if I have a lot of apps working but when it gets to the blue "Windows is
    >shutting down"screen it hangs about for ages until it finally powers off?
    >any suggestions

    Try the often posted in 24HSHD
    list of links about Windows Shutdown issues.

    Then there are the specific MS Windows newsgroups.

    It's not been very long since it was posted, however the only problem is
    you *didn't* say what version of Windows, maybe it's not important.

    Here is the list anyway, if it's not a version of Windows you have then
    search the articles / sites mentioned.

    -start copy of an Oct 21 post, source info ripped from varoius posts-

    looking for - windows xp shutdown
    http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/search?q=window...

    Saying that, there ara a lot of previous posts with lots of links to XP
    sites and shutdown articles.

    Here they are again.

    Results 1 - 10 of 84 from Jan 1, 2005 to Oct 21
    windows xp shutdown
    group:24hoursupport.helpdesk
    (0.27 seconds)

    From an Unk post -

    Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311806

    Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting
    http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    "Windows Shutdown & Restart Center Troubleshooting in 15 Steps"
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

    "It is Now Safe to Turn Off Your Computer" Error Message When You Try to
    Shut Down Your WinXP,
    Win2000 Computer. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810903

    Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029

    You cannot log off, restart, or shut down your Windows XP-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831431

    Windows stops responding during Windows XP shut down
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307274

    You May Not Be Able to Shut Down Your Windows XP Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320008

    Boot or shutdown problems after Service Pack 2 installation
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Boot_or_shutdown_problems_after_Se...

    Which is pretty much the same list as many other posts as it's reposted
    so many times.

    -end copy-

    >Paul Bennett

    Me