So Can I have a normal incomming number 01**

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 2, 2005.

  1. and use sipdiscount ?

    Stephen

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 2, 2005

  2. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Scope Guest

    ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
    > and use sipdiscount ?
    >
    > Stephen

    Not using the same line, no. SipDiscount does not allow incoming phone
    calls, not yet anyway.

    Your only option if to use the second line/provider on your ATA,
    provided it has 2 lines.

    Scope, Nov 2, 2005

  3. >> and use sipdiscount ?

    >> Stephen

    > Not using the same line, no. SipDiscount does not allow incoming phone
    > calls, not yet anyway.
    >
    > Your only option if to use the second line/provider on your ATA, provided
    > it has 2 lines.

    Does that mean I need two telephones ?

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 2, 2005
  4. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Scope Guest

    ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
    >>>and use sipdiscount ?
    >>>
    >>>Stephen

    >>Not using the same line, no. SipDiscount does not allow incoming phone
    >>calls, not yet anyway.
    >>Your only option if to use the second line/provider on your ATA, provided
    >>it has 2 lines.

    > Does that mean I need two telephones ?

    No, you can either get a 2 Line phone, or do like me, buy a
    'Combine-a-line' switch that will route both lines to a normal "1 line"
    phone.. (and it works great).

    Scope, Nov 2, 2005

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 2, 2005

  6. >>>>and use sipdiscount ?

    >>>Not using the same line, no. SipDiscount does not allow incoming phone
    >>>calls, not yet anyway.
    >>>Your only option if to use the second line/provider on your ATA, provided
    >>>it has 2 lines.

    >> Does that mean I need two telephones ?

    > No, you can either get a 2 Line phone, or do like me, buy a
    > 'Combine-a-line' switch that will route both lines to a normal "1 line"
    > phone.. (and it works great).

    Ok I was intending on using my current analogue phone so the combine a line
    switch sounds the thing. Now do you have to switch over when making out
    going calls.

    I was considering the Linksys PAP2, perhaps you could recommend some
    hardware for me ;)

    Thanks for the time so far

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 2, 2005
  7. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Scope" <> wrote in message

    > > > Not using the same line, no. SipDiscount does not
    > > > allow incoming phone calls, not yet anyway.
    > > > Your only option if to use the second line/provider
    > > > on your ATA, provided it has 2 lines.

    > > Does that mean I need two telephones ?

    > No, you can either get a 2 Line phone, or do like me, buy
    > a 'Combine-a-line' switch that will route both lines to a
    > normal "1 line" phone.. (and it works great).

    Or use the Sipura 1001 which allows 2 accounts on a single phone port.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 2, 2005
  8. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Scope Guest

    ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

    >>No, you can either get a 2 Line phone, or do like me, buy a
    >>'Combine-a-line' switch that will route both lines to a normal "1 line"
    >>phone.. (and it works great).

    > Ok I was intending on using my current analogue phone so the combine a line
    > switch sounds the thing. Now do you have to switch over when making out
    > going calls.
    >
    > I was considering the Linksys PAP2, perhaps you could recommend some
    > hardware for me ;)

    The switch will automatically use the last line used + there is a button
    on the box to select line (lights on the box will show which line is
    being used).

    I am very happy with my PAP2.. Its got 2 lines (allowing 2 different
    providers) if you wish, + at £20 you cant go wrong really. :)

    But as Ivor says, there is always the Sipura 1001 which allows 2
    providers on one phone.

    Scope, Nov 2, 2005
  9. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian Guest

    On 2005-11-02, Scope <> wrote:

    > ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
    >> and use sipdiscount ?
    >>
    >> Stephen
    >>

    > Not using the same line, no. SipDiscount does not allow incoming phone
    > calls, not yet anyway.

    Being registered with Sipdiscount, or any other provider, and receiving
    inbound calls from the PSTN on the same line are independent of each
    other. Sipdiscount may not provide incoming numbers but there are
    others who do.

    > Your only option if to use the second line/provider on your ATA,
    > provided it has 2 lines.

    Alternatively, find someone who will provide you with a phone number and
    have them point it to the line you want to receive calls on.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 3, 2005

  10. >>>
    >>> Stephen
    >>>

    >> Not using the same line, no. SipDiscount does not allow incoming phone
    >> calls, not yet anyway.

    > Being registered with Sipdiscount, or any other provider, and receiving
    > inbound calls from the PSTN on the same line are independent of each
    > other. Sipdiscount may not provide incoming numbers but there are
    > others who do.
    >
    >> Your only option if to use the second line/provider on your ATA,
    >> provided it has 2 lines.

    > Alternatively, find someone who will provide you with a phone number and
    > have them point it to the line you want to receive calls on.
    >
    > Brian.

    Sorry what does PSTN mean ? ;)

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 3, 2005
  11. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Jono Guest

    ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
    ||| Being registered with Sipdiscount, or any other provider, and
    ||| receiving inbound calls from the PSTN on the same line are
    ||| independent of each other. Sipdiscount may not provide incoming
    ||| numbers but there are others who do.
    ||| Alternatively, find someone who will provide you with a phone number
    ||| and have them point it to the line you want to receive calls on.
    ||| Brian.
    || Sorry what does PSTN mean ? ;)

    Public Switched Telephone Network. AKA "POTs" - Plain Old Telephones

    Jono, Nov 3, 2005
  12. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian Guest

    On 2005-11-03, ¬Stephen Hammond <> wrote:

    >>> Not using the same line, no. SipDiscount does not allow incoming phone
    >>> calls, not yet anyway.

    >> Being registered with Sipdiscount, or any other provider, and receiving
    >> inbound calls from the PSTN on the same line are independent of each
    >> other. Sipdiscount may not provide incoming numbers but there are
    >> others who do.
    >>
    >>> Your only option if to use the second line/provider on your ATA,
    >>> provided it has 2 lines.

    >> Alternatively, find someone who will provide you with a phone number and
    >> have them point it to the line you want to receive calls on.
    >>
    >> Brian.

    > Sorry what does PSTN mean ?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSTN

    Where would we be without Google?

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 3, 2005
  13. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Where would we be without Google?

    We might just have better online privacy. Take a look at the latest issue
    of PC Pro magazine (sorry I don't have a link to hand).

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 3, 2005
  14. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian Guest

    On 2005-11-03, Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> Where would we be without Google?

    > We might just have better online privacy. Take a look at the latest issue
    > of PC Pro magazine (sorry I don't have a link to hand).

    Not to worry, Google located it for me.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 3, 2005
  15. >>>>>>and use sipdiscount ?

    >>>No, you can either get a 2 Line phone, or do like me, buy a
    >>>'Combine-a-line' switch that will route both lines to a normal "1 line"
    >>>phone.. (and it works great).

    >> Ok I was intending on using my current analogue phone so the combine a
    >> line switch sounds the thing. Now do you have to switch over when making
    >> out going calls.
    >>
    >> I was considering the Linksys PAP2, perhaps you could recommend some
    >> hardware for me ;)

    > The switch will automatically use the last line used + there is a button
    > on the box to select line (lights on the box will show which line is being
    > used).
    >
    > I am very happy with my PAP2.. Its got 2 lines (allowing 2 different
    > providers) if you wish, + at £20 you cant go wrong really. :)
    >
    > But as Ivor says, there is always the Sipura 1001 which allows 2 providers
    > on one phone.

    If I buy the Linksys PAP2 can have incoming calls with one provider and
    outgoing on another and not need two phones.
    Incidentally I can't find an unlocked one for £20, just a locked one. I'm
    not sure if I'm up to unlocking one, how easy is it to get a TFTP server on
    the network ??

    Stephen

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 4, 2005
  16. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Scope Guest

    ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

    >>>Ok I was intending on using my current analogue phone so the combine a
    >>>line switch sounds the thing. Now do you have to switch over when making
    >>>out going calls.
    >>>
    >>>I was considering the Linksys PAP2, perhaps you could recommend some
    >>>hardware for me ;)

    >>The switch will automatically use the last line used + there is a button
    >>on the box to select line (lights on the box will show which line is being
    >>used).
    >>
    >>I am very happy with my PAP2.. Its got 2 lines (allowing 2 different
    >>providers) if you wish, + at £20 you cant go wrong really. :)
    >>
    >>But as Ivor says, there is always the Sipura 1001 which allows 2 providers
    >>on one phone.

    > If I buy the Linksys PAP2 can have incoming calls with one provider and
    > outgoing on another and not need two phones.
    > Incidentally I can't find an unlocked one for £20, just a locked one. I'm
    > not sure if I'm up to unlocking one, how easy is it to get a TFTP server on
    > the network ??

    You can only use it on one phone if its:

    1) a 2 line phone
    2) used with a 'combine-a-line', or similar switches.

    Unlocked PAP2' retail for £40.. installing a TFTP servers on the network
    is easy, just run the install, get the ip of the machine its running on,
    and copy the files needed to the TFTP server (in the TFTP directory) and
    off you go (more of less).

    Scope, Nov 4, 2005