So astro-turfing comes to NZ...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Aug 9, 2009.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    thingy, Aug 9, 2009

  2. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Aug 9, 6:50 pm, Donchano <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 23:40:20 -0700 (PDT), thingy
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    > >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-jobs/Marketing-media-communications...

    > >ho hum....I guess unlike spam its legal.

    > $12.50 an hour? I write for a living and I make at least times that!
    >
    > Peanuts = monkeys.

    Of course....but you know when ppl have no jobs, others take
    advantage....probably numerous ppl as well.....lots of false grass.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 10, 2009

  3. thingy

    peterwn Guest

    On Aug 10, 6:42 pm, thingy <> wrote:
    > On Aug 9, 6:50 pm, Donchano <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 23:40:20 -0700 (PDT), thingy
    > > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    > > >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-jobs/Marketing-media-communications....

    > > >ho hum....I guess unlike spam its legal.

    > > $12.50 an hour? I write for a living and I make at least times that!

    > > Peanuts = monkeys.

    > Of course....but you know when ppl have no jobs, others take
    > advantage....probably numerous ppl as well.....lots of false grass.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Seems that 'impossible' (the nasty little thug on this ng) needs some
    help. No one has responded to his latest troll, so he needs a few
    other contributors to help put on a Punch and Judy type show.

    peterwn, Aug 10, 2009
  4. thingy

    AD. Guest

    On Aug 10, 9:02 pm, Donchano <> wrote:
    > Afraid I don't get you "astro-turf" reference in regards to the linked
    > advertisement ... unless you're suggesting that the advt is rubbish.
    > Over the last few years I've received numerous SPAM offering all sorts
    > of bullshit jobs - not to mention all the multi-millions of dollars
    > I'm entitled to, inherited or won.

    Astroturfing means creating a fake grassroots movement or the fake
    impression of a such a movement. Usually done by endlessly posting
    comments on blogs etc promoting the 'movement' and bashing the
    competition of that movement.

    But from that job ad, it sounds less like astroturfing and more like
    being a professional troll to drive up traffic and ad revenues using
    deliberately controversial postings.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 10, 2009
  5. In article <>, Donchano <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:10:53 -0700 (PDT), "AD." <>
    >shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>On Aug 10, 9:02 pm, Donchano <> wrote:
    >>> Afraid I don't get you "astro-turf" reference in regards to the linked
    >>> advertisement ... unless you're suggesting that the advt is rubbish.
    >>> Over the last few years I've received numerous SPAM offering all sorts
    >>> of bullshit jobs - not to mention all the multi-millions of dollars
    >>> I'm entitled to, inherited or won.

    >>Astroturfing means creating a fake grassroots movement or the fake
    >>impression of a such a movement. Usually done by endlessly posting
    >>comments on blogs etc promoting the 'movement' and bashing the
    >>competition of that movement.

    >Ahhh ... like Anthropogenic Global Warming (aka Climate Change).

    Well ... maybe like the bashers. :)
    Climate change is accepted because of the data, not the marketing (which I
    consider appalling :) ).

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 11, 2009
  6. In article <>, Donchano <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 23:24:47 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair)
    >shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>In article <>, Donchano

    > <> wrote:
    >>>On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:10:53 -0700 (PDT), "AD." <>
    >>>shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>>Ahhh ... like Anthropogenic Global Warming (aka Climate Change).

    >>Well ... maybe like the bashers. :)
    >>Climate change is accepted because of the data, not the marketing (which I
    >>consider appalling :) ).

    >I'll agree to disagree and leave it there ;-)

    Fair enuff ... but reality is what makes you fall over the furniture when
    you shut your eyes. It aint going to change because of "belief". :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 11, 2009
  7. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Aug 10, 9:02 pm, Donchano <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 23:42:11 -0700 (PDT), thingy
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >

    > >On Aug 9, 6:50 pm, Donchano <> wrote:
    > >> On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 23:40:20 -0700 (PDT), thingy
    > >> <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    > >> $12.50 an hour? I write for a living and I make at least times that!

    > >> Peanuts = monkeys.

    > >Of course....but you know when ppl have no jobs, others take
    > >advantage....probably numerous ppl as well.....lots of false grass.

    > >regards

    > >Thing

    > Afraid I don't get you "astro-turf" reference in regards to the linked
    > advertisement ... unless you're suggesting that the advt is rubbish.
    > Over the last few years I've received numerous SPAM offering all sorts
    > of bullshit jobs - not to mention all the multi-millions of dollars
    > I'm entitled to, inherited or won.

    Its known as a false grass roots movement, hence astro turf as its a
    brand of imitation grass.

    The idea of a grass root movement is genuine ppl "blogging" / emailing
    basically e-communicating to officials or the population in general
    trying to bias opinions....by weight of numbers...

    What has been noticed is that some AD agencies and political movements
    pay ppl to type in the opinions or points of view that is not their
    own, but opinions that belong to the AD agencies and political
    movements....so they are trying to influence outcomes falsely...

    An example would be a google group on say Ford Falconettes....they
    might find that there is say a engine fault, or they do poorly in
    reviews with dangerous handling compared to a Holden
    bloatbag...."real" ppl post about the issues, so the PR team sends in
    paid for bloggers to counter with "its an A1 car mate" and of course
    enough weight of numbers to balance the negative comments...

    Result prospective buyers doing research on these two cars might be
    deceived into believing that the issue is minor....when in fact it is
    not...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 12, 2009
  8. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Aug 11, 10:15 am, Donchano <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:10:53 -0700 (PDT), "AD." <>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    > >On Aug 10, 9:02 pm, Donchano <> wrote:
    > >> Afraid I don't get you "astro-turf" reference in regards to the linked
    > >> advertisement ... unless you're suggesting that the advt is rubbish.
    > >> Over the last few years I've received numerous SPAM offering all sorts
    > >> of bullshit jobs - not to mention all the multi-millions of dollars
    > >> I'm entitled to, inherited or won.

    > >Astroturfing means creating a fake grassroots movement or the fake
    > >impression of a such a movement. Usually done by endlessly posting
    > >comments on blogs etc promoting the 'movement' and bashing the
    > >competition of that movement.

    > Ahhh ... like Anthropogenic Global Warming (aka Climate Change).

    Yes, the deniers seem to be trying to multiply their numbers....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 12, 2009
  9. On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:52:02 +1200, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:16:05 +1200, Donchano
    ><> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:38:04 -0700 (PDT), thingy
    >><> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>>Yes, the deniers seem to be trying to multiply their numbers....
    >>>
    >>>regards
    >>>
    >>>Thing

    >The number of "deniers" - especially amongst scientists - is
    >increasing because more and more people are waking up to the con job
    >perpetrated by Mr Ghore and his flock.

    Sigh. Rubbish. The number of deniers has been quite small for ages.
    The press, in the mistaken name of "balanced reporting", keeps on
    reporting deniers as though they were an equivalent force to those who
    understand that climate change is real, based on real evidence. The
    scientific community understands that the there are only a very few
    deniers.

    Stephen Worthington, Aug 15, 2009
  10. In message <>, Stephen Worthington
    wrote:

    > The scientific community understands that the there are only a very few
    > deniers.

    As if the truth is something you vote for...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 15, 2009
  11. In article <>, Donchano <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 20:07:31 +1200, Stephen Worthington
    ><34.nz56.remove_numbers> shouted from the highest
    >rooftop:
    >>The scientific community understands that the there are only a very few
    >>deniers.

    >Since you appear to be speaking for "the scientific community," can we
    >assume that you are one of them? If so, may I ask what is your
    >discipline and/or field of expertise?
    >
    >http://social.moldova.org/news/u-s-senate-report-scientists-refute-global-warmi
    >ng-claims-174624-eng.html
    >
    >http://anhonestclimatedebate.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/air-con-the-seriously-inc
    >onvenient-truth-about-global-warming/

    And the US senate is a well known scientifically literate group (snort!).

    ... and anyone that has to say "honest' in their name almost certainly isn't
    (eg honest john's used cars ... along the lines of german democratic
    republic).

    Believe what you like ... but reality will get you in the end. Careful
    selection of data can show anything. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 24, 2009