    Cynicor Guest

    Just wondering. I may try to haul myself out at 11 or 12 or so and see
    how long the D200 will let the shutter stay open.
    Cynicor, Aug 12, 2006

  2. Cynicor

    Joan Guest

    Joan, Aug 13, 2006

  3. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Cynicor, Aug 13, 2006
  4. Cynicor

    irwell Guest

    On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 19:34:40 -0400, Cynicor
    <jt__rup__i_n@speak__easy.net> wrote:

    >Joan wrote:
    >> http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/07aug_perseids.htm
    >>
    >> Were you too late?
    >>

    >Nah, I've got time. It's only 7:30 PM here.
    >
    >And it really is time to just blow up the damn moon. It causes too many
    >problems, and it doesn't show up well in landscape photos anyway.

    Spray paint it.
    irwell, Aug 13, 2006
  5. Cynicor

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 16:58:43 -0700, irwell wrote:

    >> And it really is time to just blow up the damn moon. It causes too many
    >> problems, and it doesn't show up well in landscape photos anyway.

    > Spray paint it.

    Orff's Der Mond had a better solution. Steal it.
    ASAAR, Aug 13, 2006
  6. Cynicor

    Joan Guest

    :
    : >Joan wrote:
    : >> http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/07aug_perseids.htm
    : >>
    : >> Were you too late?
    : >>
    : >
    : >Nah, I've got time. It's only 7:30 PM here.
    : >
    : >And it really is time to just blow up the damn moon. It causes too
    many
    : >problems, and it doesn't show up well in landscape photos anyway.
    : Spray paint it
    with the blood of the terrorists.
    Joan, Aug 13, 2006
  7. Cynicor

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Cynicor wrote:

    > Just wondering. I may try to haul myself out at 11 or 12 or so and see
    > how long the D200 will let the shutter stay open.

    I've managed to catch a few trails. It really isn't that spectacular.
    I didn't even bother saving the images I managed to get.

    The meteor shower isn't like sparks coming from a grinding wheel :)

    You only get a few streaks per minute. If you're real lucky you
    might get two streaks in the same image.

    The image below isn't mine, but it shows the best you can expect
    without a motorized tracking mount:

    http://www.spaceweather.com/meteors/perseids/images2001/Lucena1.jpg
    Jim Townsend, Aug 13, 2006
  8. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Joan wrote:
    > "irwell" <> wrote in message
    > : On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 19:34:40 -0400, Cynicor
    > : <jt__rup__i_n@speak__easy.net> wrote:
    > :
    > : >Joan wrote:
    > : >> http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/07aug_perseids.htm
    > : >>
    > : >> Were you too late?
    > : >>
    > : >
    > : >Nah, I've got time. It's only 7:30 PM here.
    > : >
    > : >And it really is time to just blow up the damn moon. It causes too
    > many
    > : >problems, and it doesn't show up well in landscape photos anyway.
    > : Spray paint it
    > with the blood of the terrorists.

    If we don't blow up the moon, the terrorists win.

    Anyway, I made a more basic mistake. I forgot to bring a remote cord
    with me, so I was limited to 30 second exposures. I saw 5 or six
    meteors, including 4 nice fireballs, but got nothing on "film."
    Cynicor, Aug 13, 2006
  9. Cynicor

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 22:48:49 -0400, Cynicor wrote:

    > If we don't blow up the moon, the terrorists win.

    Nonono. It's the terrorists that want to blow up *our* moon.

    > Anyway, I made a more basic mistake. I forgot to bring a remote cord
    > with me, so I was limited to 30 second exposures. I saw 5 or six
    > meteors, including 4 nice fireballs, but got nothing on "film."

    You should have been using an evaluation D80. I think it also has
    a 30 second exposure limit, but it also has a mode or two that
    allows multiple exposures, which should be able to effectively
    extend the exposure to at least 90 seconds per image. :)
    ASAAR, Aug 13, 2006
  10. "Jim Townsend" <> wrote in message
    > Cynicor wrote:
    >
    >> Just wondering. I may try to haul myself out at 11 or 12 or so and see
    >> how long the D200 will let the shutter stay open.

    > I've managed to catch a few trails. It really isn't that spectacular.
    > I didn't even bother saving the images I managed to get.

    God is conserving resources too. He switched to a miser shower head :)
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=, Aug 13, 2006
  11. Cynicor

    computar2006 Guest

    I managed to catch one meteor on my CCD camera. I watched for hours
    from my home in Scotland and saw about two dozen meteors.

    Small perseid meteor with green trail:

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c2522-15301
    computar2006, Aug 13, 2006