So am I installing this wrong?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Joe, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Anyone here have an idea on this?

    My current motherboard is PCCHIPS M817LMR 1.0. My memory of 256 PC2100 DDR
    was being reported as 128, plus I had various other problems which included
    random rebooting of the computer plus unrelated blue screen error messages.
    Since the power supply and hard drive were already recently replaced and
    were working fine, I came to the conclusion it's the RAM that's fried or
    damaged.

    As such, I went and bought another stick of 256 PC2100 DDR from Best Buy. I
    took out the damaged memory from it's slot and replaced it with the brand
    new one. I kept contact with the case during all of this to avoid ESD. So
    the result? I turn the computer on and get just a constant beeping, nothing
    else. I'm pretty sure I'm installing it correctly, it snaps right in. I
    tried the other memory slot and same problem, constant beeping. The
    constant beeping is also what I get if no RAM at all is inserted in the
    motherboard.

    So, after several tries, I reinsert the damaged RAM back in (I tried both
    slots for the same results) and got my original problem back: half of it
    being reported along with all the errors and rebooting. But at least the
    computer boots up! The new RAM causes it to just beep. I'm at a loss on
    what to do...

    Help?

    Thanks in advance,
    Joe

    Joe, Aug 28, 2003

  2. Joe

    Mellowed Guest

    Why not try the Microsoft RAM diagnostic tool.
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp .

    :

    Mellowed, Aug 28, 2003

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Thank you for the link!
    I have put in the damaged RAM stick (since the new stick won't even boot,
    just constant beeping) and ran the test both in standard and extended
    formats. No errors have been reported at all. Other ideas? I am
    especially confused why new RAM I bought won't do anything at all. Thanks.

    Joe

    Joe, Aug 28, 2003
  4. Some time, on or about: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:35:53 GMT, "Joe"
    <> was criminally insane in my professional opinion
    when they claimed the following balderdash:

    >Anyone here have an idea on this?
    >
    >My current motherboard is PCCHIPS M817LMR 1.0. My memory of 256 PC2100 DDR
    >was being reported as 128, plus I had various other problems which included
    >random rebooting of the computer plus unrelated blue screen error messages.
    >Since the power supply and hard drive were already recently replaced and
    >were working fine, I came to the conclusion it's the RAM that's fried or
    >damaged.
    >
    >As such, I went and bought another stick of 256 PC2100 DDR from Best Buy. I
    >took out the damaged memory from it's slot and replaced it with the brand
    >new one. I kept contact with the case during all of this to avoid ESD. So
    >the result? I turn the computer on and get just a constant beeping, nothing
    >else. I'm pretty sure I'm installing it correctly, it snaps right in. I
    >tried the other memory slot and same problem, constant beeping. The
    >constant beeping is also what I get if no RAM at all is inserted in the
    >motherboard.
    >
    >So, after several tries, I reinsert the damaged RAM back in (I tried both
    >slots for the same results) and got my original problem back: half of it
    >being reported along with all the errors and rebooting. But at least the
    >computer boots up! The new RAM causes it to just beep. I'm at a loss on
    >what to do...
    >
    >Help?

    PCCHIPs are notorious for having low end, crappy motherboards. I know
    of some companies that quit carrying them because they had a return
    rate of about 30%. Anyhow, if it's a new board, go get another one but
    I recommend you get a higher end board of a different brand.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Aug 28, 2003
  5. Some time, on or about: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 02:09:40 GMT, "Joe"
    <> was criminally insane in my professional opinion
    when they claimed the following balderdash:

    >Thank you for the link!
    >I have put in the damaged RAM stick (since the new stick won't even boot,
    >just constant beeping) and ran the test both in standard and extended
    >formats. No errors have been reported at all. Other ideas? I am
    >especially confused why new RAM I bought won't do anything at all. Thanks.

    The PCCHIP board is crap. Just because you bough tnew RAM doesn't mean
    it's good or that particular DIMM will work with your particular
    board, especially PC CHIPs.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Aug 28, 2003
  6. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:

    > The PCCHIP board is crap. Just because you bough tnew RAM doesn't mean
    > it's good or that particular DIMM will work with your particular
    > board, especially PC CHIPs.

    Agreed. PC Chips mobos are THE WORST MADE, period.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 28, 2003
  7. Joe

    Mellowed Guest

    Sorry Joe. I don't have a clue. Others with more experience might be able
    to help.

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    : Thank you for the link!
    : I have put in the damaged RAM stick (since the new stick won't even boot,
    : just constant beeping) and ran the test both in standard and extended
    : formats. No errors have been reported at all. Other ideas? I am
    : especially confused why new RAM I bought won't do anything at all.
    Thanks.
    :
    : Joe
    :
    : "Mellowed" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : >
    : > "Joe" <> wrote in message
    : > news:tfb3b.276188$o%2.125516@sccrnsc02...
    : > : Anyone here have an idea on this?
    : > :

    Mellowed, Aug 28, 2003
  8. Joe

    Billh Guest

    Bottom line get the right memory.

    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/shownotes/story/0,24330,3425953,00.html
    Memory loss
    Dennis in Sikeston, Maryland, has PC100 RAM in his PC. When he installed
    PC133 RAM, his computer recognized only half the memory value of the RAM
    (i.e. a 512MB RAM stick is being recognized as 256MB). How can he fix this?

    The problem has nothing to do with PC100 and PC133. According to Leo, the
    problem lies in your motherboard and how it handles certain RAM
    constructions. Your motherboard seems to have trouble with dual-bank memory.
    Dual-bank memory is a RAM stick with chips on both sides of the stick. The
    motherboard sees only the memory on one side of the stick.

    You need to exchange your memory for single-bank sticks. These sticks have
    memory on one side.

    Billh, Aug 29, 2003
  9. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Thanks, have any good recommendations? Is ASUS generally good?

    Joe, Aug 30, 2003
  10. Joe

    Mellowed Guest

    There are web sites that show motherboard test results. The local PC shop
    here offers several manufacturers. Here is a link to an MSI board.
    http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4854841

    You might also check this site.
    http://shopper.cnet.com/2001-3049_9-0.html?tag=dir

    and http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/index.html

    Suggest that you run your choice through this NG prior to purchase. You
    will be able to get a 'sanity check' on your choice.

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    : Thanks, have any good recommendations? Is ASUS generally good?
    :
    :
    : "Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <> wrote in
    message
    : news:...
    : > Some time, on or about: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:35:53 GMT, "Joe"
    : > <> was criminally insane in my professional opinion
    : > when they claimed the following balderdash:
    : >
    : > >Anyone here have an idea on this?
    : > >

    Mellowed, Aug 30, 2003
  11. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Thank you for the links! I'll check them out :)

    Joe

    Joe, Aug 30, 2003
  12. Joe

    Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:05:30 -0400, "Billh" <> wrote:

    >Bottom line get the right memory.
    >

    >http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/shownotes/story/0,24330,3425953,00.html
    >Memory loss
    >Dennis in Sikeston, Maryland, has PC100 RAM in his PC. When he installed
    >PC133 RAM, his computer recognized only half the memory value of the RAM
    >(i.e. a 512MB RAM stick is being recognized as 256MB). How can he fix this?
    >
    >The problem has nothing to do with PC100 and PC133. According to Leo, the
    >problem lies in your motherboard and how it handles certain RAM
    >constructions. Your motherboard seems to have trouble with dual-bank memory.
    >Dual-bank memory is a RAM stick with chips on both sides of the stick. The
    >motherboard sees only the memory on one side of the stick.
    >

    >You need to exchange your memory for single-bank sticks. These sticks have
    >memory on one side.
    >

    >"Joe" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone here have an idea on this?
    >>
    >> My current motherboard is PCCHIPS M817LMR 1.0. My memory of 256 PC2100

    >DDR
    >> was being reported as 128, plus I had various other problems which

    >included
    >> random rebooting of the computer plus unrelated blue screen error

    >messages.
    >> Since the power supply and hard drive were already recently replaced and
    >> were working fine, I came to the conclusion it's the RAM that's fried or
    >> damaged.
    >>
    >> As such, I went and bought another stick of 256 PC2100 DDR from Best Buy.

    >> took out the damaged memory from it's slot and replaced it with the brand
    >> new one. I kept contact with the case during all of this to avoid ESD.

    >So
    >> the result? I turn the computer on and get just a constant beeping,

    >nothing
    >> else. I'm pretty sure I'm installing it correctly, it snaps right in. I
    >> tried the other memory slot and same problem, constant beeping. The
    >> constant beeping is also what I get if no RAM at all is inserted in the
    >> motherboard.
    >>
    >> So, after several tries, I reinsert the damaged RAM back in (I tried both
    >> slots for the same results) and got my original problem back: half of it
    >> being reported along with all the errors and rebooting. But at least the
    >> computer boots up! The new RAM causes it to just beep. I'm at a loss on
    >> what to do...
    >>
    >> Help?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Joe

    Does everyone here top post? Don't answer.

    , Aug 31, 2003
  13. <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:05:30 -0400, "Billh" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Bottom line get the right memory.

    > >"Joe" <> wrote in message
    > >> Anyone here have an idea on this?
    > >>
    > >> My current motherboard is PCCHIPS M817LMR 1.0. My memory of 256 PC2100

    > >DDR
    > >> was being reported as 128, plus I had various other problems which

    > Does everyone here top post? Don't answer.

    No.

    --
    Then don't ask ;)

    Sentient Fluid, Aug 31, 2003