SNMP OID for Bandwidth Usage

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by amattina@layer8group.com, Sep 12, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I am trying to monitor near-live bandwidth usage on a few PIX 501's and
    515s with nagios. I found some plugins that will work for cisco
    equipment and modified them slightly for the pixes but I can't seem to
    get the bandwidth monitor functioning. I've been sifting through snmp
    for the last hour looking in the 501 and 515 for this but can't find
    it. Got it working on an ISR though no problem.

    IE w/ISR: Status is OK - FastEthernet0/1 (ethernet) - Current: 658
    Kbps, Limit: 100 Mbps, MTU: 1500, Last change: 22.92 seconds, STATS:(in
    errors: 12, out errors: 0, queue length: 0)

    IE w/PIX: Status is OK - PIX Firewall 'inside' interface (ethernet) -
    Current: N/A, Limit: 100 Mbps, MTU: 1500, Last change: 0.00 seconds,
    STATS:(in errors: 3842, out errors: 0, queue length: 0)

    The major thing here is the "Current: N/A" with the bandwidth reading
    on the PIX. I have MRTG running on these PIXs and I can get a 'current'
    reading there. I'm assuming there is some math trickery there which may
    work with a nagios command script but I don't know. Anyway, if there
    is an oid for this that would solve the problem.

    Thanks,
    Adam

    , Sep 12, 2006

  2. Guest

    wrote:
    > I am trying to monitor near-live bandwidth usage on a few PIX 501's and
    > 515s with nagios. I found some plugins that will work for cisco
    > equipment and modified them slightly for the pixes but I can't seem to
    > get the bandwidth monitor functioning. I've been sifting through snmp
    > for the last hour looking in the 501 and 515 for this but can't find
    > it. Got it working on an ISR though no problem.
    >

    > IE w/ISR: Status is OK - FastEthernet0/1 (ethernet) - Current: 658
    > Kbps, Limit: 100 Mbps, MTU: 1500, Last change: 22.92 seconds, STATS:(in
    > errors: 12, out errors: 0, queue length: 0)
    >
    > IE w/PIX: Status is OK - PIX Firewall 'inside' interface (ethernet) -
    > Current: N/A, Limit: 100 Mbps, MTU: 1500, Last change: 0.00 seconds,
    > STATS:(in errors: 3842, out errors: 0, queue length: 0)
    >
    > The major thing here is the "Current: N/A" with the bandwidth reading
    > on the PIX. I have MRTG running on these PIXs and I can get a 'current'
    > reading there. I'm assuming there is some math trickery there which may
    > work with a nagios command script but I don't know. Anyway, if there
    > is an oid for this that would solve the problem.

    I am not that familiar with Pix and not at all with nagios
    however I would expect that the Pix had the standard
    Interface MIBs. e.g.

    ..iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOutOctets
    ..1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16

    ..iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets
    ..1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10

    Poll these, do the maths (or let your application do it for you:)

    BTW "in errors: 3842" does not look very good. These days
    it is pretty much always a duplex error although of course
    there may have been billions of packets through this interface
    and the error rate may be actually very low.

    , Sep 13, 2006

  3. Guest

    Thanks. The other script must be referencing a different OID in the
    ISR router. I thought there might have been an OID for the actual
    bits/sec.