    Many thanks,

    Paul
    , Feb 22, 2007

  2. Kyle Evans Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a freeware / open source SNMP program to monitor
    > device availabilities on Cisco switches and routers? I'm looking for
    > something very basic to monitor approximately 50 devices.
    >
    > We are currently using MRTG to monitor bandwidth across router
    > interfaces.
    >
    > Surely there must be a similar open source app for monitoring device
    > availabilities that can email alerts?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Paul

    I would use nagios to do the trick. I'm not sure if there is an snmp
    check that comes with it, but it doesn't take much to write a check that
    will poll a device over snmp.

    Kyle
    Kyle Evans, Feb 22, 2007

  3. <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Hi,
    >
    > We are currently using MRTG to monitor bandwidth across router
    > interfaces.
    >
    > Surely there must be a similar open source app for monitoring device
    > availabilities that can email alerts?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Paul

    Hi,

    MRTG can send emails ( using external scripts ).

    Go to MRTG reference documentation, look at something that begins like
    "Thresh*"

    Regards,
    Gabriele
    Gabriele Beltrame, Feb 22, 2007
  4. On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 19:24:53 +0100, Gabriele Beltrame wrote:

    > <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> We are currently using MRTG to monitor bandwidth across router
    >> interfaces.
    >>
    >> Surely there must be a similar open source app for monitoring device
    >> availabilities that can email alerts?
    >>
    >> Many thanks,
    >>
    >> Paul

    I would recommend nmis. It is very customizble from an alerting
    perspective and can gather a large number of statistics on polled devices.

    http://nmis.sf.net/

    Scott
    Scott Fringer, Feb 22, 2007
  5. Gwagwa Guest

    Hi,

    He ask for something "very basic" ...

    I would use Cacti on Linux.
    It will do the same job as MRTG with an easy configuration of new device and
    you can found some "plug-in" to get some alert by mail if I remenber.

    I have install the old distribution SENTINIX to do this in my office.(and I
    have upgrade the cacti stuff to last version)
    (I monitor 50 devices, Router, Switch, Server, Batteries)

    FC

    erkicc$9o2$-state.edu...

    Gwagwa, Feb 26, 2007